PDA

View Full Version : Coming out of depersonalization but then again I'm not so sure!

Jules18
29-06-07, 12:42
Hi

I think that the depersonalization I've had constantly for about 3 months is finally passing. I don't feel detached but I still have this awful feeling and thought of either not knowing who I am or not feeling like me. I don't have full blown panic attacks, just differing levels of anxiety, which I know is a good step forward, but when these die down I then just have this constant feeling of not being me. I just wondered if anyone could reply with their experience of coming out of this. I'm now scared that even though the depersonalization will go I will never "be me" as the thought is so ingrained (if that makes sense!). Rationally I know that this is just anxious thinking but it won't stop! I'd love to hear from anyone who can remember what it was like to come out of this - I seem to be concentrating on every step of recovery and making it really hard for myself. Grrrrrr!!

Thanks.

Julie

miss motown
29-06-07, 14:30
hi jules ive suffered with depersonalization for years and this has got to be the worse thing anyone can go thru i went thru that dreaded feeling of not knowing who i was and even wot i was its sooooo frightening i also had this for a good couple of months and thought it would never pass but to be honest it went as quick as it came.dont get me wrong i still have days when my anxiety has been at a high i get that dreaded feelin come over me and then them thoughts come creaping back but because youve experianced them b4 they dont seem to be that scairy i just keep telling my self ive been down this road and i came out of it and it works i just do things to distract myself trust me it will lift

Suzanna
29-06-07, 14:59
Hey Jules, do not worry you are not on your own i too went through a period like that for a good couple of months. I was constantly worried that i wasnt really here and that i was just looking in at the world! I actually thought i was dead, may sound strange!!
I found being in other peoples company really helped as it brings you back to earth and the current situation.
I sometimes do have bouts of anxiousness and thinking that im not really here but in time it does go, so dont worry.
When it starts to distress me i usually think of other things such as where i would like to go on holiday and picture myself on a tropical island drinking a Mohito!!!!

Think positive thoughts and dont dwell on the negatives.

Your not alone.

Much love suz x :)

looking4answers
02-08-07, 09:25
Just like i was told years ago and had to remember it for the last two years...just keep telling yourself its just a feeling nothing more and it will go away and then concentrate on something else and it usually does..it might come back but keep telling yourself its just a feeling it cant hurt you .. and it WILL go away..I promise it does..Michael

Hi

I think that the depersonalization I've had constantly for about 3 months is finally passing. I don't feel detached but I still have this awful feeling and thought of either not knowing who I am or not feeling like me. I don't have full blown panic attacks, just differing levels of anxiety, which I know is a good step forward, but when these die down I then just have this constant feeling of not being me. I just wondered if anyone could reply with their experience of coming out of this. I'm now scared that even though the depersonalization will go I will never "be me" as the thought is so ingrained (if that makes sense!). Rationally I know that this is just anxious thinking but it won't stop! I'd love to hear from anyone who can remember what it was like to come out of this - I seem to be concentrating on every step of recovery and making it really hard for myself. Grrrrrr!!

Thanks.

Julie

angiebaby
04-08-07, 23:10
To be honest if you would have asked this question a couple of weeks ago i would have been searching with you for the answer myself. But i think i am getting over this, finally. I have suffered with this for well over a year and it has scared me half to death. But now i am feeling a bit better, signed off work sick for a few weeks and getting to grips with things, learning to accept each symtom and floating over it, not letting it bother me as much, it seems to be going off a bit. I have had the feeling of not being me tonight and have posted about this wondering if anyone just got this but not the unreality and even that is common i think. But as for the unreality, mine is much much better at the moment. And now that i have actually had a small period of what i suppose you could call 'normal ness', i know that's not a real word!, now when the unreality rears it's ugly head again i have some ammunition to fire at it, and i know that it will once again go away and i will be normal again. I couldn't remember what normal felt like and i never thought i would ever be 'just me' again, but now i truly believe that i will be back and am feeling much better about it. I hope this helps and if you want to chat about anything just let me know.xx