PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D deficient

Worriedwellornot
16-01-18, 14:23
Hi everyone. just had my results of my blood tests back from the Drs and have been told I'm deficient in Vit D. Having looked at the symptoms of this it correlates with all the recent symptoms I've been having - fatigue, muscle aches, bone pain etc I'm now on tablets but I would recommend that people who have had similar symptoms to me get this checked out. I will need to take them throughout the winter months and include more foodstuffs that are a good source of the vitamin. I was worried about worst case scenario but in fact just a simple vitamin deficiency. Hopefully now I will begin to improve Day by day

Fishmanpa
16-01-18, 14:35
I had that happen too. Pretty common if you're not getting enough D in your diet or sunlight. I took a prescription strength D vitamin for around 6 weeks and now I supplement with an OTC. I'm always achy and in pain so I don't know if it really made a difference other than my D levels returning to normal ranges ;)

Positive thoughts

Leslie735
16-01-18, 14:39
I'm low in vitamin D as well, have been for a couple of years. I now take OTC supplements. I'm also low on B12.

Worriedwellornot
16-01-18, 16:55
I can't believe that something as simple as a Vitamin deficiency could have laid me as low as it has over the last 5 weeks. I wonder how long it takes to start working. I definitely feel on the mend. Worth checking out though!

Jacsta
16-01-18, 17:10
I also had low levels. The docs gave me suppliments then she advised i take daily vit d from OTC all year.

Mindprison
16-01-18, 17:12
I've found its incredibly easy to become deficient in a lot of things just from poor diet and taking PPI medication long term. My iron and folic acid levels are guaranteed to go below range at least once every year.

jules321
16-01-18, 17:48
I'm super low on Vit D too. I've been supplementing OTC for a couple years which has improved my numbers a bit but I'm still on the low end of normal (which summarizes me well lol).

JoeCanuck
16-01-18, 18:42
There have been several recent studies that have shown that the medical standards for vitamin D levels have been severely understated, on the order of 3-4 times, especially if you live in a more northern, cold area where you get less sun.

Worriedwellornot
16-01-18, 18:54
I wonder if anyone here had self diagnosed Chronic Fatigue when in fact it may be a Vitamin n D deficiency

lior
16-01-18, 19:47
I genuinely have chronic fatigue syndrome. I took vitamin D for months before I got the diagnosis of CFS. It's important to not rule out deficiencies before getting a diagnosis of CFS.

Pretty much everyone is deficient in vitamin D over winter in the UK apparently :)

Careful1
16-01-18, 20:03
I am also deficient in vitamin D and I live in Florida lol, actually it was really low last time it was tested... Looks like its pretty common though....

MyNameIsTerry
17-01-18, 05:30
It's important to understand about vitamin D and when to consider vitamin K as well.

I would suggest anyone using supplements do that as in high strength there is a threshold where we need a certain amount of K to ensure calcium is being shuttled properly or you get calcium build ups.

Doctors tend to give levels of D a nudge to get them back inside parameters but there is a lot of dispute in the medical community over whether levels are enough. Many people now use supplements to achieve what their own body is able to do give the correct exposure to the sun but they need to hers the medical advice over K as they will be long term users rather than a quick hit to redress a deficiency.

Magnesium also links in. It works with D. Magnesium helps it work if my memory is correct, it's been a while since I read all this stuff so I would have to dig some stuff up.

Don't forget SAD lamps too. Doctors prescribe those to stimulate natural D levels. Natural D is far superior to supplements. And D foods aren't common.

Remember it's D3 though. Doctors used to prescribe D2 and it's pants compared to D3. They stopped using It as it brought other complications but if purchasing yourself, avoid D2.

---------- Post added at 05:30 ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 ----------

This will help in understanding using D & K:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=174070

SADNoMore, also known as Marie in Canada, was a wealth of knowledge on all this stuff and her GP said all his patients were deficient due to their location so he was used to treating it.

Magic
17-01-18, 16:12
I am thinking of getting some vit D. In the summer I have really nice,strong fingernails.
I now have none:unsure:

Worriedwellornot
17-01-18, 20:10
Hi Terry thanks for your detailed response. Interestingly I have also started using a SAD lamp. I've started on D3

DonnaT
17-01-18, 22:14
I had I behold I lived in the UAE with all that sun