PDA

View Full Version : Is there a difference in the effect of liquid vs capsule meds?

Tea
16-01-18, 16:33
Specifically in my case it's pregabalin (lyrica for Americans). I was taking it for quite a while at 150mg x3 daily in capsules, but then went off it so I could try to deal with my anxiety about alcohol. My anxiety got worse the last few months though and I'm back to taking pregabalin (50mg x3 atm) to try and get back to where I was a year ago.

But I've become vegetarian since I stopped taking it before and since the capsules have gelatin in them I'd prefer to get the liquid version (this only occurred to me today).

So my question is, would there be any difference in the effect of taking it by liquid? (I don't deal well with medication changes, so knowing that I won't have a bad reaction or something is important for me to not freak out)

nomorepanic
16-01-18, 17:58
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

hanshan
08-02-18, 11:36
Sorry to be late in replying to this, if you are still checking.

There should be no difference between liquid and capsule forms of pregabalin. The liquid form may work five minutes or so faster, as it does not need to dissolve, but that is all.

As for gelatin capsules, I believe many manufacturers are switching to plant-based capsules, so you could check to see if there is a brand of pregabalin that uses plant-based capsules. The information about capsules and other materials in the capsule will be on the manufacturer's website, or you could ask your pharmacist to check for you.