PDA

View Full Version : Need to off load

Jan A
29-06-07, 14:01
Hi,

I have suffered from stress for about 10 years - since my son then aged 2 was diagnosed with cancer, I just went into overdrive when he finally lost his brave fight nearly 5 years ago. I couldnt see myself on a downward spiral until I had a really bad 1st panic attack thankfully I was with a friend who new what was happening. I struggled for about a year then finally gave in and stared taking 10 mg citropram. When I felt strong enough to finally get my life sort of back on track. I weened myself really slowly off the tablets approx 5 months ago. I have since then had a couple of a anxiety moments which I have thought behave yourself and they have subsided. About 3 weeks ago I started again with feeling a bit dizzy on a morning, the most stupid thing is I would think I feel ok today no strange feelings then I would think about them until they came. I think deep down I was getting myself wound up because we were going abroad for a weeks holiday. The weeks holiday was last week, twice in the same restueraunt I convinced myself I was anxious and going to have a panic attack which led to me point blank refusing to go back there again, The next night we went to a different place where I sat counting pictures on the wall to try to stop the anxiety rising then on the way home in the plane I was a trembling wreck, I tried to distract myself by doing a crossword which to some extent helped until I kept thinking that I might have an attack. I am hoping that I am just having a few bad moments and not on the way to being back to square one. We are going to london in two weeks and then back to the same place abroad in 8 weeks. I am getting myself into a tizz thinking about it. I need to try and relax and sort my mind out - I am hoping that actually writing this will help me start to get back onto track. My hubby has been so supportive he says try to be positive, try not to think about it and distract yourself. I dont want to feel like I do right now when we go away next time. This morning I have taken half a 10mg ciptropram tablet, I dont want to start taking them I want to try and work through this. Does anyone know of any books that may help with my trail of thought patterns. I have heard of congnitive therapy and would be really interest if anyone knows of any books that can guide me through learning it at home.

Jan

manmoor
29-06-07, 14:06
Hi Jan,

A big warm welcome to you. So sorry hun about your wee son :hugs: I am a big fan of Claire Weekes books and I find her a great help. Hopefully someone will be along soon with more book titles for you. xxx.

Nibbles
29-06-07, 14:12
Hi and :welcome: Jan,

I'm so sorry to hear about your son. :hugs: Joining NMP will help you immensely because you'll meet a new circle of friends who understand and offer loads of advice and support. For once I agree with Mandy and think Claire Weeke's books are a godsend. :winks: From your post it sounds like you are coping brilliantly and are definitely not going back to square one. Lots of people on NMP find holidays difficult, I think you're very brave for doing them.

Take care,

yorkylover
29-06-07, 14:13
Hi Jan and welcome.Im so sorry to hear about your son.I cannot begin to imagine what you have been through,but can fully understand about your anxiety and panic attacks.You will get lots of support here and friendly advise.Big hug to you lovey:hugs: :hugs:

Jan A
29-06-07, 16:06
Thank you Mandy, Mike and Ellen for your kind words and encouragement.

It is nice to know that there are caring people about. I will definately look into Claire Weeks books, I had a quick look on amazon but have never bought off the internet so will have a look in waterstones or borders.

Jan

Southern_Belle
29-06-07, 16:12
Hi Jan,

Welcome to NMP. I too can't imagine your loss and you must be a strong woman. We all have blips with anxiety and I imagine that is what you are going through. As one said most of us have trouble with traveling. I myself have loads of trouble getting on a plane. :ohmy: Did you ever receive counseling for your anxiety issues? That or CBT works quite well. Taking meds when needed also helps. You will find many here who feel just like you do and will get the support you need.

Laura :flowers:

honeybee3939
29-06-07, 17:41
Hi Jan

Welocome to NMP its lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice, support and make new friends too.:)

There are alot of posts about CBT, if you use the search facility at the top of this screen you will find many of interest.

Heres another link too that will explain all about it.
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=therapy

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxx

trac67
29-06-07, 18:42
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xx

Jan A
29-06-07, 18:52
Hi,
Thank you all for your kind words,
I have never had any sort of counselling at all. Sometimes I wonder if had I been offered some sort of berevement counselling I wouldnt of started with the panic attacks and anxiety. I did feel that it was a case of just get on with your grief. I know I bottled things up but am now learning to talk about things which does help

Jan

Lindalou64
29-06-07, 21:16
Hi Jan,
welcome first and formost i would like to tell you how so so sorry i am...thats very hard and stressful,I myself think you should see some kind of couneling to help you with your stress and maybe grieving...for books i would say Claire Weeks....she has a few out that are very good....i wish you well Jan and i hope you find comfort here and within yaself........take care .Linda xx

Jan A
29-06-07, 21:52
Thank you Linda,

groovygranny
29-06-07, 22:19
Hello Jan and:welcome:!

Sorry to hear you've been having a difficult time -

I haven't read any books I'm afraid, so can't recommend any. But I have taken Citalopram and had counselling. That combination got me through a very awful time.

I sure you will get plenty of help and support here!

:hugs:

Pink Princess
02-07-07, 16:19
hi and welcome to the site, you will find a lot of good advice and support here and make many friends along the way. hope to talk soon, take kare xxxxxx

nomorepanic
02-07-07, 19:13
Hi Jewels

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

So sorry to hear about your loss.

Hope we can be of some help and you meet some fab new friends along the way.

Take some time to read all you can on the website pages as well - I am sure that will be of some help.