PDA

View Full Version : Mole removal and biopsy

chibear
17-01-18, 20:27
So the three moles that I had removed by my primary care physician came back benign. I got the call yeterday.

On Monday, however, I went to see a dermatologist for the first time and she did my first full body check. She wants to keep an eye on some but she did decide to completely remove one on my shoulder that I was worried about. She didn’t look at it and go “wow that looks bad!” It was more of a “this is darker and more irregular than the others so I want to remove it.” With the other three moles I was in full on panic mode. Right now, though, I seem to be quite calm and not concerned. I don’t know if it’s still the euphoria of the others being cleared or the fact she didn’t seem TOO concerned. I honestly don’t know how long it’s been there but it’s pretty small. It was definitely not bigger than a pencil eraser. My fear has always been being diagnosed with like Stage 3 or 4 melanoma. I asked her if it was concerning and she said “if anything you’ll just have to come back and get more skin removed.” Any anxiety I have is me overthinking what she said. I’m hoping she was just being cautious and preventative because this was the first time I’ve seen her and I told her I’ve had a history of atypical moles. She took the whole lesion not just a portion. I don’t know if that signals anything or not.

I’m going to try to preoccupy myself with spending time with family and friends for the next week and try not to overthink what the dermatologist said.

CHELLEB1017
17-01-18, 20:41
I had a mole on my arm that was my ugly duckling mole as it was darker than the others and grew a little bit. My derm told me the same thing that if anything it may be mildly atypical and we would just remove a little more skin next time. And guess what she was right came back mildly atypical and she scraped off a little more skin and it's all good now! You will be fine honest!

chibear
18-01-18, 01:21
Thanks for the response. I hope it’s okay! Glad yours was! Like I said my primary care and the dermatologist didn’t seem to be too concerned. Last week I had a rather large and a very black mole removed that came back slightly atypical and completely benign respectively. This one is the mole that looks most like melanoma but of course that doesn’t mean it is. It was fairly small. It didn’t itch or hurt. My primary care was just going to remove it in a few weeks (he likes to remove all atypical looking moles, though. The dermatologist just wants to keep an eye on them). But of course in my mind it’s running through my head that she was more concerned than I remember or that I misread how she was reacting! Typical. Lol.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Now I’ve started to panic thinking the dermatologist only removed the lesion because she suspected it was melanoma. Gah! Stupid anxiety!

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

Should I be concerned that the dermatologist removed the mole or does it just seem like a precaution thing?