PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram

sulmare
29-06-07, 18:33
have just started this medication... day one has been a nightmare, bouncing off the walls , shaky, sick, felt in panic the whole day... I hope it gets better, the doctor has started me on 10mg a day to work up to 40mg eventually...

I have read that this is a helpful med for panic/anxiety attacks so will persevere, but am soooo tempted to bin it and stay on the amitriptyline :ohmy:

honeybee3939
29-06-07, 18:36
Hi Sulmare

Stick with it hun, you will probably get heightened anxiety for a few days but should settle down, it can take 4 to 6 weeks before you start to see the benefits, i have been taking Citalopram for 8 years on and off and its worked wonders for me.

Hugs
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

trac67
29-06-07, 18:45
I agree with Andrea I have been on citalopram for 9 years now with a 6 month break and it really has helped me to get my anxiety under control.

It definately does heighten the anxiety first, but it will calm down after a few weeks and you should begin to feel so much better.

Feel free to pm me if you need a chat whilst going through the first few weeks on citalopram

Take care

Trac xxx

sulmare
29-06-07, 18:54
thank you :)

happyone
29-06-07, 19:50
I have to agree. I am on 60 mg and it is good for my anx. I still have anx and I am on another drug too, but so much les than before.

happyone
xx

groovygranny
29-06-07, 20:34
Hi Sulmare,

For some, it does make things worse before they get better, but you should certainly try and stick with it!

I started on 60mg straight away and had the most awful time for a few weeks - but then, ooh the relief it gave me!

If you can tolerate it, it's a great enabler in keeping you 'on the level' so you can sort out any issues. I only had to stay on it for 6 months, but would certainly go back on it if ever it was necessary.

Remember there is light at the end of the tunnel - try and keep focused on that ok?

:hugs:

:flowers:

sulmare
03-07-07, 14:10
well have been on it a few days now... feeling better already at 20mg, actually went out of the house and into the town centre today which is good for me, but came home and slept for a couple of hours. Still feeling a bit shaky but am suprised to feel a bit better already :yesyes:

groovygranny
03-07-07, 17:44
That's great news sulmare!

Keep going! :)

:flowers:

mkeeley
15-07-07, 00:47
When I first took them the very next day I felt like a new person, not sure if it was the med or placebo but felt great. Then on about day 3 my axiety went through the roof, that lasted about 5 days.

Remember it's best to start at a v.low dosge, say 5mg and work your way up. Simply starting at your maintenance dose, say 20mg, isn't recommended.

Unfortunately for some reason it just stopped working for me so stopped taking it.