PDA

View Full Version : Turns out I have H Pylori!! Anyone else had this?

tan235
18-01-18, 05:13
Help me......

My anxiety is through the roof, I can't stop crying and thinking about stomach cancer.
How long have I had this!?
I have no idea how long, but I've been feeling like I've had gastritis for years now - so now I"m worried that I've done permanent damage to my stomach and I've got stomach cancer.
I'm terrified.
Has anyone else had this?
Not looking forward to having to take 3 antibiotics every day for a week.
Please tell me it's easily cured.... share your stories.
I'm freaking out.

WiseMonkey
18-01-18, 05:41
Hi,

Yep I had H-Pylori about 15 years ago and had the triple treatment (2x antibiotics plus an acid suppressant). I tested negative for it several months later.

It's important to take the treatment as H-Pylori can cause stomach ulcers if not treated but the good news is that the treatment can repair any damage done.

I've had a couple of gastroscopes over the years, one with mild gastritis and the next was clear. Very often gastritis is caused by low stomach acid. Both times they tested for H-Pylori and I was clear.

The H-Pylori bacterium likes an alkaline environment and can actually lower stomach acidity and give the same symptoms as too much acid.

tan235
18-01-18, 05:46
OH THANk you - I’m so happy to hear from you thank you.
Did you have issues after - was the treatment hard to endure for you?

WiseMonkey
18-01-18, 06:00
Glad to be of help :)

The treatment was a breeze and I tolerated the antibiotics well.

I'd had stomach issues for many years (on and off) before the H-Pylori so I didn't notice any change, but most people do.

(I have CFS so get more stomach flares than most).

poppy77
18-01-18, 06:38
Ask the doctor if you can take probiotics (like those yoghurt drinks) while you are on the antibiotics. Often they recommend that whilst on antibiotics to help. I'm not sure about when treating h-pylori though.

tan235
18-01-18, 07:25
Anyone else have this before? It's quite common isn't it??

WiseMonkey
18-01-18, 08:17
Hi,

Many people have H-P but don't get symptoms and don't get ulcers either. Drs usually test because of symptoms. I think my Dr tested because I had ongoing stomach issues.

H. pylori is more prevalent among older adults (as there is a decline in immune function) and those from lower socio economic backgrounds.

I've taught in low decile schools for 20 years so most likely picked up the bacterium there.

tan235
18-01-18, 08:24
I have no idea where I would have got it from? I'm a clean person, my daughter is 5 so maybe she's got it from somewhere, compost? My daughter goes to great school, we are not in a low socio economic area... ?? Where does it come from??? Once it's gone is it gone or can it come back?

pulisa
18-01-18, 08:27
How were you diagnosed with this, tan?

tan235
18-01-18, 08:33
Stool test

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 ----------

can you get a false positive for this bacteria?

WiseMonkey
18-01-18, 08:41
Hi,

It's not really to do with cleanliness, anyone can get it if they come into contact with someone/something that has the bacterium.

I just read that "it passed from person to person through direct contact with saliva, vomit or fecal matter. H. pylori may also be spread through contaminated food or water"

So it's good that you have been tested and have the treatment for it :)

jojo2316
18-01-18, 09:56
I have this - discovered during a gastrocopy. I haven't had the eradication therapy yet....
There is slightly conflicting advice as to whether eradication therapy is a good thing.
I probably will get it treated though.... I will worry terribly about stomach cancer if not!!
Interestingly my father - a now retired gastric surgeon has had H Pylori all his life. He never had it eradicated and never worried about it, and has never - yet!! - developed stomach cancer. (The risk of that is very small according to him)

poppy77
18-01-18, 14:36
You could have got it anywhere - on holiday even!

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

My brother in law had it. He's from a middle class family, was 29 when diagnosed and has not really travelled in areas where it would be prevalent. Go figure! Sometimes things are just random. The good thing is, you can now have it treated and solve your stomach issues and start to feel better.

tan235
19-01-18, 01:48
I"ve got the antibiotics so I will start taking them tomorrow - super nervous but I don't want this bug in my stomach!

tryingtosurvive1
19-01-18, 05:19
you can do it! take some probiotics or eat yogurt too, as the OP mentioned