PDA

View Full Version : Costochondritis?

Rlee134
18-01-18, 14:35
Hi all - I have had this dull ache on the left side of my chest for a good 2 months now. The ribs that connect to my breastbone in the middle of my left peck are very tender to the touch and would seem to be swollen (when I run my hand over it, its more protruding) compared to the ones on my right side. the pain isn't always constant but is noticeable more than not. sometimes it radiates to my back shoulder blade as well as ribs on my side. I have had x-rays which came back negative and PCP gave me naproxen for the diagnosis costo. Wondering if anyone has had similar symptoms and about how long it took to go away? It feels as though the ribs in my chest wall are inflamed and obviously I aggravate them more always rubbing and touching to see what's going on. Also I have had somewhat of a cough and clearing of the throat going on for a bit, maybe some type of chest cold/virus - could that contribute? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

O_O
18-01-18, 18:18
Sounds just like costochondritis to me. I have it too. Tenderness in the cartilage right by the sternum, particularly when pressed.

I would say stop touching it. The more you touch it, the more likely it is to stay inflamed. Some gentle chest stretches and exercises can help. And antiinflammatories like ibuprofen.

Having a chesty cough can certainly exacerbate costochondritis. In fact, it tends to be the main cause of it.

Mine did take less than two months to get better, but I didn't have a cough and I was careful not to keep prodding it.

mtsparky
18-01-18, 19:41
Hi all - I have had this dull ache on the left side of my chest for a good 2 months now. The ribs that connect to my breastbone in the middle of my left peck are very tender to the touch and would seem to be swollen (when I run my hand over it, its more protruding) compared to the ones on my right side. the pain isn't always constant but is noticeable more than not. sometimes it radiates to my back shoulder blade as well as ribs on my side. I have had x-rays which came back negative and PCP gave me naproxen for the diagnosis costo. Wondering if anyone has had similar symptoms and about how long it took to go away? It feels as though the ribs in my chest wall are inflamed and obviously I aggravate them more always rubbing and touching to see what's going on. Also I have had somewhat of a cough and clearing of the throat going on for a bit, maybe some type of chest cold/virus - could that contribute? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks.You know what, I've had the exact same thing and have had it for about 7/8 months. Sometimes pain in chest sometimes around shoulder blade. Anxiety came from nowhere last year and this seams to be linked. Had blood test and chest x ray both of which were clear. Had the cough also and a bit more phlegm than normal too. Doctor said it was imflamation of ribs but on weak days I wonder if it is something more sinister. Seems to come on more when anxious though. Went to chiropractor for a few sessions but my back feels painful and stiff now, especially in the morning.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Cherry Bakewell
18-01-18, 22:12
I suffered with costo for 3 weeks last year where i wouldn't believe it was costo and was convinced i was having a heary attack or bloody clot on the lung. Like you, all my tests came back clear but I was aggravating it keep rubbing it. I was prescribed naproxen and it eventually went but I have noticed i'm prone to it when anxious which then makes my anxiety worse, vicious circle x

Rlee134
19-01-18, 21:16
Did you notice that the rib/bone on the left side felt larger than the right? I guess I am thrown off by the back shoulder soreness. Clearly making myself anxious about it makes it worse as well. I know I should feel relief that the xray was negative - but the ache is still there which just keeps my mind racing.