PDA

View Full Version : Serious Dementia Worry

Ben1989
19-01-18, 17:58
Hi everyone,

To cut a long story short I have high blood pressure. How I have no idea as my diet is fairly balanced and I’m 28, weigh nothing and always walk.

My blood pressure is around 145/90. My doctor actually thinks I have an underlying issue as she refuses to believe it can be that high with everything I just wrote above.

Anyone I’ve always had an issue with my memory. Always. I always forget words I knew last week. Always forget names. Eg. Today I forgot the name of my ex-girlfriend from 7 years ago. Since I was 18 I’ve had this issue but ignored it. My wife always comments on how bad my memory is.

Anyway as I was reading about foods for high blood pressure I read that dementia is linked to HBP and thought well it all makes sense. I’m too scared to look at dementia symptoms and memory tests etc

Fishmanpa
19-01-18, 18:04
My mother suffered from dementia near the end of her life. No way in hell what you describe is anywhere near what I witnessed, even in it's early stages.

Anxiety turns you inward. You focus so much on your fears that the outside world and how you interact is compromised. Perhaps instead of researching something you don't have, you could research and treat the anxiety you do have.

Positive thoughts

Ben1989
19-01-18, 18:11
I’m sorry to hear that fishmanpa.

The reason I bring this up is because I’ve had this since I was around 18, years and years before my anxiety.

My HBP has been there since I was 18 and the nurse recently came to my work for random health checks and my blood pressure was the same so I drew a corrolation

---------- Post added at 18:11 ---------- Previous post was at 18:08 ----------

It’s not just that. I would randomly forget I put something in the car then 10 minutes after search and search around the house for it to my wife to say ‘are you kidding me’

Fishmanpa
19-01-18, 18:13
I’m sorry to hear that fishmanpa.

The reason I bring this up is because I’ve had this since I was around 18, years and years before my anxiety.

My HBP has been there since I was 18 and the nurse recently came to my work for random health checks and my blood pressure was the same so I drew a corrolation

---------- Post added at 18:11 ---------- Previous post was at 18:08 ----------

It’s not just that. I would randomly forget I put something in the car then 10 minutes after search and search around the house for it to my wife to say ‘are you kidding me’

Ok.. so?... that's not dementia.

Positive thoughts

Liziik
19-01-18, 20:52
My memory is awful as well I am also incredibly forgetful. I literally couldn't tell you what I did yesterday unless I really think hard about it. I think stress and anxiety takes its toll on my memory my mind is filled up with so much that simple things like misplacing my phone etc happen all the time.

I had to learn about dementia and Alzheimer's for work and we were taught that missplacing things forgetting names etc is something everyone does but people with early dementia will get in their car and for a couple of minutes forget what the key does or go to make a call and can't remember what a phone is or how to use it

I really don't think you have anything to worry about ��

O_O
19-01-18, 20:55
Hi everyone,

To cut a long story short I have high blood pressure. How I have no idea as my diet is fairly balanced and I’m 28, weigh nothing and always walk.

My blood pressure is around 145/90. My doctor actually thinks I have an underlying issue as she refuses to believe it can be that high with everything I just wrote above.

Anyone I’ve always had an issue with my memory. Always. I always forget words I knew last week. Always forget names. Eg. Today I forgot the name of my ex-girlfriend from 7 years ago. Since I was 18 I’ve had this issue but ignored it. My wife always comments on how bad my memory is.

Anyway as I was reading about foods for high blood pressure I read that dementia is linked to HBP and thought well it all makes sense. I’m too scared to look at dementia symptoms and memory tests etc

If it started at 18, it's even less likely to be dementia. You just don't get dementia at 18. I think the earliest age anyone was diagnosed with dementia was 30, and even that is INSANELY rare.

You just have a bad memory for some things. I'm terrible with the names of famous people. Like, I can literally forget the name of the Prime Minister. Or massive celebrities like Bruce Willis. But in other ways my memory is extremely good. It's just one of those things.

ShaunRyder
19-01-18, 21:34
I've had 3 family members suffer from dementia and this was nothing they experienced and not even how it started. My memory is terrible, my mum will tell me to go upstairs to get something and when I get there I've forgotten. I even forgot my new born nephews name once :doh:

Ben1989
11-03-18, 18:20
Hi guys,

Recently I’ve been having a huge panic about having Alzheimer’s/Dementia. Since I was about 22 my memory became poor. Now it’s getting worse. I CONSTANTLY forget names, names I should remember. Last night I just couldn’t remember for the life of me what movie I watched the night before. It came to me after two hours.

My wife constantly says that my memory is bad and that I always forget things. The other day I forgot a restaurant name that I’ve been to a good few times. These are just examples, I forget something at least once every day. I’ve extremely scared I have a brain disease.

venusbluejeans
11-03-18, 19:13
This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Emmz

Fishmanpa
11-03-18, 19:13
Anxiety IS a brain illness. That being said, perhaps you forgot about these two (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213033) threads? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=197721) :lac:

Positive thoughts

Ben1989
11-03-18, 19:34
I watch Modern Family (great show) and I haven’t seen it for some time, about three weeks, and I forgot two of the characters name.

Pkstracy
11-03-18, 19:42
My mother was diagnosed at 55 years old, she didn't have high blood pressure, hers came on slowly, she would say my brain isn't letting me think, or she would say I want a banana but be pointing at an apple, or she would repeat herself over and over, we all forget things, if you look up dementia/alzhimers, you will get a vast list of what people and researchers think cause it, everything from cell phones, to tin foil, to soda, to vaccines, to vitamin b 12 deficiency, I agree you are too young to get it, what could be causing your issues is anxiety, depression, vitamin deficiency, even dehydration can cause brain fog and forgetfulness, the best advice I can give and that would give you peace of mind is go get tested.

Ben1989
11-03-18, 21:11
Thanks for sharing that, I’m sorry to hear about your mother. I’m going to call the GP tomorrow to discuss

Josh1234
12-03-18, 03:24
Testicular cancer, Bulbar ALS, Multiple Sclerosis and now Dementia, all in the span of 3 months. Never have we seen such an unlucky guy!

Ben1989
12-03-18, 07:13
Testicular cancer, Bulbar ALS, Multiple Sclerosis and now Dementia, all in the span of 3 months. Never have we seen such an unlucky guy!

I had an ultrasound on my testes and a cyst was discovered. My memory has been affecting me way beyond my HA but have only just come to realise

Pkstracy
13-03-18, 21:28
Go get blood work done, I am betting you need to up vitamin b or are very low on vitamins. Being low on vitamin b 12 or any vitamin b can mimic the symptoms of dementia and alzheimer's

Ben1989
22-04-18, 15:50
I've had bloods done in the past and my vitamin levels were all normal.

I'm quite panicky at the moment as I've been doing some stuff such as:

- We were in the house and I asked my wife if she got my phone out of the car even though I was just on it in the living room

- I constantly try and get in the car without unlocking it

- I boil the kettle to make baby food and once boiled i grab a mug and a tea bag as if i'm about to make a cup of tea.

These are just a handful of things that I do and they're freaking me out though. Quite scared to go to the doctors if they say the worst because i would obviously lose my job etc etc

---------- Post added at 15:50 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

This is in conjunction with me constantly forgetting what people have said, dates previously arranged, names etc

Fishmanpa
22-04-18, 15:51
My mother suffered from dementia near the end of her life. No way in hell what you describe is anywhere near what I witnessed, even in it's early stages.

Anxiety turns you inward. You focus so much on your fears that the outside world and how you interact is compromised. Perhaps instead of researching something you don't have, you could research and treat the anxiety you do have.

Positive thoughts

Imeleedi
22-04-18, 22:26
Dementia is a symptom of an underlying problem not a root cause. What is it exactly you are afraid you have?

Have you been tested for heavy metals poisoning?

Your symptoms don't sound like dementia to me, rather normal functions of an occupied mind, but assuming I'm wrong, given your age and clean blood test results this would be the most likely cause.

Fishmanpa
22-04-18, 22:48
Have you been tested for heavy metals poisoning?

:huh: Seriously? C'mon now! That's just planting another irrational fear.

Positive thoughts

Annaboodle
22-04-18, 23:24
What you're describing is just normal scattiness/forgetfulness that most of us experience. Walking into a room and forgetting what you went in there for, everyone does that sometimes. Forgetting characters' names from a TV programme - that's not remotely significant (think about people's minds going blank for answers on game shows with questions like that WHEN THEY'RE ANXIOUS). There's a problem if you forget your wife's name, or get confused about who she even is, or forget the word completely for "fork" (all things that a family member of mine experienced during early stages of dementia).

I doubt very much that you're deficient in vitamins or affected by heavy metals poisoning (just NOPE to that one) or anything else because you aren't showing any signs of dementia. None.

You're also more likely to exhibit forgetfulness at the moment because you're so absorbed in obsessing about this latest fear to be honest. Many of us with HA neglect the everyday things, as we're so lost in our own heads obsessing.

You mentioned a baby. If you're sleep deprived at all that will exacerbate any natural tendencies towards forgetfulness. But I think they're natural. You're maybe just a bit absent-minded like me. Even back when I was in my very early 20s, someone once described me as "that girl who is always stoned". I wasn't stoned ever (at that point I wasn't at least :p )

Ben1989
15-06-18, 18:47
Hi everyone. Been having a panic recently and it’s led me back to here.

Yesterday, my neighbour left his hedge trimmers in my outside bin. He usually knocks and lets me borrow them to which I then return them by putting them back in his bin. Yesterday I took the rubbish out to the bin and he left the trimmers in there for me. I was stood there for a literal minute silent absolutely confused. I didn’t know what they were, why they’re in there, how did they get there, when did they get there. I came in and told my wife there is a ‘chainsaw’ in our bin. It’s not even a chainsaw. Then she said they’re from the next door neighbor (idiot).

I’m so panicked now. Why didn’t I know that, I always leave it in his bin? Why couldn’t I figure out even what the hell they were. I was there for so long just staring at them like a lost soul. Chainsaw, what the heck! Reading it it doesn’t sound that bad but it was a serious confusion. My mind trying to work but it just couldn’t

---------- Post added at 18:42 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

Furthermore, my work has been sloppy at work today, I’m having to remind myself every 10 seconds which football team are who when watching the World Cup (I’m a football fanatic) and I’m really quite petrified

---------- Post added at 18:47 ---------- Previous post was at 18:42 ----------

This is on top of daily forgetting words, where I put things etc

Fishmanpa
15-06-18, 19:00
Still not dementia... anxiety related forgetfulness? absolutely!

Positive thoughts

crystal17
15-06-18, 20:17
Hey. It's almost like you're reading about the symptoms of dementia then thinking you're developing them but what I think is happening is that you're obsessing over having it so much that you're LOOKING for any sign of it.

Trust me, it is normal what you're describing. Do not underestimate the effect long term anxiety has on your memory and general cognition.

I have a relative who I worry about as he really is experiencing some of the symptoms, plus we have a family history and he's been 3 times to the doctors who are not worried in the slightest. He's in the right age range too and they are putting it down to stress and depression.

Please try to be kind to yourself.

Ben1989
15-06-18, 20:24
I try and not look at symptoms etc, that’s my number one rule. It made me panic because I was the most confused I’ve ever been in my life. It wasn’t ‘huh why’s is here?’ It was myself just staring at it and my brain just couldn’t process anything like it was blocked. I’ve had anxiety for two years now and never experienced any of this

crystal17
15-06-18, 20:31
I try and not look at symptoms etc, that’s my number one rule. It made me panic because I was the most confused I’ve ever been in my life. It wasn’t ‘huh why’s is here?’ It was myself just staring at it and my brain just couldn’t process anything like it was blocked. I’ve had anxiety for two years now and never experienced any of this

Can you remember when thoughts of dementia first came into your head or when it started worrying you? What triggered it?

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

And if you can't remember don't panic that that's a symptom :winks:

Fishmanpa
15-06-18, 20:51
Can you remember when thoughts of dementia first came into your head or when it started worrying you?

This started over a year ago. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=197721) At 28 years old, it's just not on any medical radar. Like I said, my mother suffered with it toward the end of her life. I know first hand what that is. What you describe are brain farts, not dementia.

Positive thoughts

crystal17
15-06-18, 21:01
Ah thanks Fishman, I hadn't read any of OP's other threads. Yes I agree with you, these are brian farts and need to just be 'eye rolled' at and move on.

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

Brain I mean not Brian :roflmao:

Thats an example of one actually, in my head I was typing Brain.

Andrash
15-06-18, 21:34

It is medically impossible to have dementia at age 28. You are worried sick over a literally impossible thing - it is like worrying you will fall off the edge of the Earth because it is flat. Just forget about that thing and treat anxiety. Not googling is a positive sign but you probably need to do more.

And one more thing - a lot of people have bad memory. It is nothing unusual and, in your case, it is not an illness - it is who you are. That being said, there are a lot of ways to improve memory and reduce forgetfulness. Treating anxiety is one of them.

crystal17
15-06-18, 22:12
And one more thing - a lot of people have bad memory. It is nothing unusual and, in your case, it is not an illness - it is who you are.

This is a massively important point - try to think of it not as a symptom, but a personality trait.

Fishmanpa
15-06-18, 22:44
I perform this song at my shows... it goes over GREAT! ~lol~

Senior Moments, Brain Farts (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv1tMioGgXI&index=4&list=PL188F750BA43F5F72&t=0s)....

Positive thoughts

swajj
16-06-18, 02:32
That’s excellent Fish :roflmao:

Ben I know why you were so forgetful, because you aren’t totally present during those moments. You’re looking at the hedge trimmers but your mind is on your twitches and numbness or whatever symptom you’re focusing on that day. You have to attend to things you want to remember. That’s how memory works.

I’m not going to ask you how your therapy is going because I strongly suspect you haven’t had any. You are so far from recovery that it is just sad.

Ben1989
16-06-18, 15:39
I’ve had issues with my memory for around eight years but it’s more the confusion that’s really concerning me. I do respectfully disagree that it’s impossible for me to have dementia as I remember seeing a story (didn’t read it) about a four year old who was diagnosed.

Ironically I start therapy next Friday after waiting for two years

Fishmanpa
16-06-18, 16:08
I do respectfully disagree that it’s impossible for me to have dementia as I remember seeing a story (didn’t read it) about a four year old who was diagnosed.

Daily Mail article? :whistles:

Anyway... glad to hear you're starting therapy. It's a huge step in the right direction.

Positive thoughts

Ben1989
16-06-18, 18:36
Swajj I’m sort of over my body sensations now to be honest. I’m not 100% by any means but I just think to myself that something would have happened by now.

It’s my dementia worries that absolutely petrify me as it’s absolutely life changing, not in a disrespectful way to other diseases

mardem1
16-06-18, 19:16
I take a low dose of Xanax for anxiety that is supposed to be linked to dementia. Im 20,I too become forgetful or spacey sometimes and dementia actually runs in my dads side of the family more commonly. I think your doctor is freaking you out. Blood pressure is affected my many things. Even moving or talking and anything like that can raise it. I have really low blood pressure and It actually was 145 while I was talking and always high while going to the hospital for anything,. This might not be amazing advice if you have health anxiety but I think if you buy your own blood pressure cuff and monitor your blood pressure everyday for a month then you can see if you really think you chronically have High blood pressure. Sit still,uncross legs, open the palm of your arm and leave it flat and do not talk.If its still that high everyday, Lower the sodium in your diet, take epsom salt bath soaks with sea salt and warm water and Ask about the medication Propranolol it's for high blood pressure and heart rate and can lesson psychical anxiety symptoms. I think you are fine.

Andrash
16-06-18, 22:34
I’ve had issues with my memory for around eight years but it’s more the confusion that’s really concerning me. I do respectfully disagree that it’s impossible for me to have dementia as I remember seeing a story (didn’t read it) about a four year old who was diagnosed.

Ironically I start therapy next Friday after waiting for two years

And I have seen and read many stories about alien abductions. That does not mean we are calling Mulder and Scully to police our neighborhoods anytime soon.

KK77
16-06-18, 23:43
"Brain fog" is a serious and debilitating component of anxiety disorders which should be identified and treated much earlier.

Perhaps people forget to mention it :shrug:

Cptdebbie
17-06-18, 01:33
Fish, that youtube video is awesome!! I loved it!!!

Ben1989, I concur with everyone else. I have anxiety related memory issues and brain fog. When I am really stressed out, I feel like I am lucky to remember my own name.

My mother died of Alzheimer's disease. It was more than forgetting or distraction, it was a confusion of what life and living was about. She became severely paranoid. She thought advertisements she got in the mail were statements saying she owed money. She hallucinated. She thought a man in a blue suit kept coming to tell her to do odd things like relieve herself in her backyard. And, she called 911 once and met the policeman at the door with a gun. These were the kinds of things that my mother did. :weep:

You are okay Ben. You don't have dementia. Anxiety symptoms are super scary, but I bet your therapist will help you learn tactics to deal with these fears. :bighug1:

Ben1989
16-02-19, 18:36
Due to my fear of dementia I find it hard to control anxiety and slight depression over it.

On top of my memory being extremely bad anyway for the past 8 years just recently it’s stood out. I read stories to my daughter and I always get the words wrong, sometimes I just stare at the words and they make no sense to me. This happens most times I’m reading. I also will say things like ‘why don’t you go home’ instead of ‘why don’t you go to bed’. This is only one of many confusing things I will say

Ben1989
17-02-19, 07:38
And further, I wasn’t experiencing any anxiety at all prior. In fact, I actually thought I was starting to come through the other side. It wasn’t until like the fifth or sixth occasion over a three day period I actually noticed and thought back.

BlueIris
17-02-19, 07:45
You can get anxiety symptoms without feeling anxious. Why are you worrying yourself so much about an impossibility?

Ben1989
17-02-19, 09:52
You can get anxiety symptoms without feeling anxious. Why are you worrying yourself so much about an impossibility?

In no disrespect but surely you can’t get anxiety symptoms without feeling anxious, even subdued anxiety. There are many people in the world who have dementia at an early age which makes me think it’s definitely not an impossibility

BlueIris
17-02-19, 10:17
Yes, you can suffer physical symptoms of anxiety even if you're sure you're calm at the time.

And no, taken as a proportion of the world's population, there aren't many people under 50 at all who suffer from dementia. Do you personally know anybody your own age with this condition? Do you think anybody else here knows anybody your age who has it?

LF87
17-02-19, 10:25
It sounds like a scary thing to be obsessed over but you definitely do not have dementia. I've worked with a lot of people who have it and it's not like how you describe. You're just reading things online and connecting the wrong dots. Anxiety and memory problems are huge, happens to me all the time! I can literally forget what I was about to say and get all jumbled up, but I know it's because my mind is on other things. My bf often says you're on another planet today - and I am, because I'm thinking about 15 other things. Please don't give this any more of your time, you are fine, you don't have dementia.

Scass
17-02-19, 10:38
The more you worry or focus on something the worse it becomes.
I forget things all the time, I stumble over words, I forget names and where I put things, I make typos, I make silly mistakes at work, I forgot the name of my daughters school the other day.

I don’t have dementia, but I do have periods of anxiety and a busy life. I blame my anxiety for those lapses. My Mum had dementia and with respect, you don’t. It’s a debilitating disease which you don’t have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
17-02-19, 13:37
In no disrespect but surely you can’t get anxiety symptoms without feeling anxious, even subdued anxiety.

No disrespect but.....

Anxiety is like a campfire. When you're in the midst of a spiral the fire is burning bright and hot. When the flames die down, there's still a bed of red hot coals burning away just waiting for some more fuel. You may not feel anxious but your body is still on high alert and has a bed of hot anxiety coals inside just waiting to flare up. Just like a campfire, the hot coals of anxiety take a long time to finally go out.

My mother suffered from dementia for the last few years of her life. The only thing demented here is thinking you actually have it :whistles: There's also the fact this has been a fear for over two years.

Positive thoughts

ErinKC
17-02-19, 14:25
Anxiety can absolutely cause a poor memory because you aren't ever completely focused externally, you're always in your own head.

But, there are also a whole host of causes for a bad memory that would be considered before dementia.

My husband is so incredibly absent minded and I'm sure he has ADD but never manages to do anything about it. The one time he asked his doctor she was more keen to suggest depression, which apparently often exhibits as distraction and forgetfulness (especially in men she said). So, if you're truly concerned, those are two things you could inquire about. But, you don't have dementia.

If you've had high blood pressure for that many years, has your doctor ever suggested taking blood pressure medication? That would also be an easy way to see if it's in any way connected to your memory - lower your blood pressure and see if it helps.

Ben1989
18-02-19, 17:05
Thanks everybody.

The thing is, I was actually happy. The first time in years I could actually say that. As much as I would disagree in the past with anxiety burning in the background I did actually agree with it.

But this happened weeks and weeks after being really happy, no anxious thoughts etc and I actually felt like my normal self.

It’s really accelerated, my memory. You say I’ve had this worry for years are you saying it should be much worse by now (if it were dementia)?

Scass
18-02-19, 18:51
Yes it would be much worse by now if you had dementia.

So just now I was telling my daughter about my old dog, and I forgot it’s name. I couldn’t remember it for a minute and called it by the name of the dog before.

I know that I had something on my mind that was giving me anxiety, not dementia.

Ben1989
10-06-19, 19:24
So I’ve booked in for a doctor’s appointment on Wednesday regarding this. Lately become really confused.

Yesterday morning I was staring at the toothbrushes for a good 5/6 seconds just blankly confused as to which one was mine. I got confused the other day why the car wouldn’t go forward when it was in neutral.

My concentration is super low, I find I can’t properly read and just stare at words and I also read them in my head back to front.

On top of my memory just being awful and constantly forgetting words

Ben1989
11-06-19, 10:14
Is this cause for genuine concern and consultation?

Midnight-mouse
11-06-19, 10:16
Is this cause for genuine concern and consultation?

Honestly I wouldn’t, everyone has moments... even more so if you’re focusing on it or in an anxious state - it takes up a lot of focus power!

Positive vibes,

Mouse

BlueIris
11-06-19, 10:17
Honestly, it sounds to me as though you're just stressed and anxious, and as though you may have a bit of a vicious circle going on here.

Ben1989
11-06-19, 10:18
Honestly, it sounds to me as though you're just stressed and anxious, and as though you may have a bit of a vicious circle going on here.

I can see where you're coming from but the other day I forgot my new nieces name, for example. It took me a good few minutes for it to come for me

BlueIris
11-06-19, 10:31
That's no different at all from my father calling me by the dog's name. Yes, this happened.

Ben1989
11-06-19, 11:40
That's no different at all from my father calling me by the dog's name. Yes, this happened.

But that' just getting the wrong name, not totally forgetting your niece's name

BlueIris
11-06-19, 11:47
This is what health anxiety does, though, it sows these seeds of doubt and means there's always a reason for it to be the worst-case scenario, regardless of how crashingly unlikely it is.

Midnight-mouse
11-06-19, 11:50
But that' just getting the wrong name, not totally forgetting your niece's name

Okay, how about my mum completely forgetting and giving the wrong birthday for both herself and me, not just mixing them up either completely fabricated dates, and I’m an only child. Or for the life of me I couldn’t remember the name of my friends cat, who we talk about nearly daily!

Ben1989
11-06-19, 11:53
Okay, how about my mum completely forgetting and giving the wrong birthday for both herself and me, not just mixing them up either completely fabricated dates, and I’m an only child. Or for the life of me I couldn’t remember the name of my friends cat, who we talk about nearly daily!

I'm assuming your mother doesn't suffer from dementia?

It's also the confusion that bothers me which i listed examples of above.

Fishmanpa
11-06-19, 12:49
I'm assuming your mother doesn't suffer from dementia?

Anxiety turns you inward. You focus so much on your fears that the outside world and how you interact is compromised.

Positive thoughts

lofwyr
11-06-19, 15:43
My memory has been crap for 40 years since I was about 8. About the same time my anxiety reared up. I have never associated my bad memory with anything other than worry and nerves over the years. My memory is worse now, but forgetting why you walked into a room or where you put your keys, those aren't signs of dementia. Those are signs of an active brain thinking about other things. Anxious brains are VERY active. It's actually part of our problem. We fill the voids of quiet most people have in healthy minds with catastrophic thoughts.

ErinKC
12-06-19, 01:47
My memory has been crap for 40 years since I was about 8. About the same time my anxiety reared up. I have never associated my bad memory with anything other than worry and nerves over the years. My memory is worse now, but forgetting why you walked into a room or where you put your keys, those aren't signs of dementia. Those are signs of an active brain thinking about other things. Anxious brains are VERY active. It's actually part of our problem. We fill the voids of quiet most people have in healthy minds with catastrophic thoughts.

Yes, my anxiety has been in check for about a year until this past week when it spiked a bit due to (real) health concerns. And, I've been sooo absent minded! Just today I lost my keys at the grocery store. Thank God someone turned them in to customer service. Every time I get out of my car I hook my keys into my wallet (I have a small wristlet, not a big purse) and today they were just gone when I got back to my car. Not a single memory of how they could have ended up anywhere but attached to my wallet. It's 100% the anxiety!

Ben1989
29-07-19, 16:59
I am now considering seeing a doctor about this. I understand how it looks. I seem to be going from one thing to the other. My throat/lung issues have worsened and I have a painful nonstop cough but i am using strategies to calm it. The dementia 'symptoms' happen every single day and have done for probably years.

But with my dementia worries things seem to be going worse. As I've mentioned, my memory is seriously bad. Names are seriously bad. I struggle to pick words and forget words. Things that I knew I used to remember. I used to be able to reel off any Friends quote, now hardly any. Pick any car and I could tell you which engine was inside of them. Now I forget the car's name let alone the engine.

My wife often says 'I just told you that' after having a conversation with her. Today I walked towards the store at lunch and got seriously confused when somebody walked out of the door. Yesterday driving, I panicked because for a good 5 minutes I had no idea where I was on a route I have taken a thousand times. Conversations I immediately forget what they have just said to me. Looking at signs i jumble the letters around in my mind. There was a sign the other day that said 'all morris homes now for sale' and I initially read it as 'am I morris homes....'

I get interested in things and then lose interest in a couple of weeks. Just a large collection of small things that happen daily. I do well to keep it off my mind but that one thing will happen and it adds to the basket of examples to make me consider seeing a doctor

Fishmanpa
29-07-19, 17:09
Definitely see a doctor..... about your ANXIETY! :shades:
Positive thoughts

Ben1989
29-07-19, 17:18
Definitely see a doctor..... about your ANXIETY! :shades:
Positive thoughts
You really don't think a little part of what I have said could be dementia?

Ben1989
29-07-19, 17:38
Why the hell would I get confused because a guy walked out of a shop?

BlueIris
29-07-19, 17:47
Because most of your mental energy is focused on your worries? There's no need to take a hostile tone.

Ben1989
29-07-19, 17:51
Sorry it wasn’t hostility aimed at Fishmanpa, it was aimed at myself getting confused over something that I shouldn’t be. Sorry if it came across that way, it was aimed at myself.

I wasn’t worried about it at the time, it was my organic reaction to seeing this guy and then I got worried after getting confused over this person

adamden
29-07-19, 17:55
I have an uncle who has Alzheimer's and had a great-grandmother who had Alzheimer's as well before she passed. I know Alzheimer's and dementia are two different things, but both have similar impacts.
You would forget what you are talking about the second it comes out of your mouth. The other night when I saw my uncle, he didn't even know what beer he was drinking until my dad reminded him after he asked a second time.
Definitely nowhere near what you are experiencing. You have anxiety.
A-N-X-I-E-T-Y.

utrocket09
29-07-19, 18:03
I am now considering seeing a doctor about this. I understand how it looks. I seem to be going from one thing to the other. My throat/lung issues have worsened and I have a painful nonstop cough but i am using strategies to calm it. The dementia 'symptoms' happen every single day and have done for probably years.

But with my dementia worries things seem to be going worse. As I've mentioned, my memory is seriously bad. Names are seriously bad. I struggle to pick words and forget words. Things that I knew I used to remember. I used to be able to reel off any Friends quote, now hardly any. Pick any car and I could tell you which engine was inside of them. Now I forget the car's name let alone the engine.

My wife often says 'I just told you that' after having a conversation with her. Today I walked towards the store at lunch and got seriously confused when somebody walked out of the door. Yesterday driving, I panicked because for a good 5 minutes I had no idea where I was on a route I have taken a thousand times. Conversations I immediately forget what they have just said to me. Looking at signs i jumble the letters around in my mind. There was a sign the other day that said 'all morris homes now for sale' and I initially read it as 'am I morris homes....'

I get interested in things and then lose interest in a couple of weeks. Just a large collection of small things that happen daily. I do well to keep it off my mind but that one thing will happen and it adds to the basket of examples to make me consider seeing a doctor

Surely if you had dementia, you would not be able to post on a public forum. You would not have the ability to put the words together to form a consistent thought.

Fishmanpa
29-07-19, 18:10
You really don't think a little part of what I have said could be dementia?

Did you even read the post about my mother? :lac:

Here you go... a typical conversation before she passed..

Hi Mom... how're you doing?
Ohhh I don't like it here (she was in an assisted living facility)
I know Mom but its a nice place and they're taking good care of you.
How's Marcia? How's the kitty?
They're good. So what did the doctor say?
I don't like it here.
I know Mom, but you need to be there. They make sure you get your medicines, they have great food, movies, a bar....
How's Marcia? How's the kitty?
They're fine Mom etc. etc. etc.

Everything you're posting screams ANXIETY!.. and has for the 2+ years you've been posting here.

Positive thoughts

adamden
29-07-19, 19:03
You would not have the ability to put the words together to form a consistent thought.
THIS!!!!!!

Ben1989
30-07-19, 00:10
Thanks everyone. It’s a powerful one to get over

Ben1989
03-10-19, 18:08
I’ve tried and tried to stop myself with this but seriously struggling. It really gets worse as time goes on.

Examples (out of hundreds):
- I read out a serial number to a guy at work and every single number was incorrect.
- constantly forgetting conversations mid way through. My wife constantly saying ‘what the hell, that’s how we started the conversation’.
- Getting into some serious issues with reading. I pretty much can’t read continuously now.
- Looked at my daughter tonight and had a slight confusion over her.

It really is getting worse. On top of words being forgotten, names being forgotten. I’ve worked with a guy for four years and recently forgot his surname

Scass
03-10-19, 18:11
You don’t have dementia.

Go see your doctor.

utrocket09
03-10-19, 18:43
I’ve tried and tried to stop myself with this but seriously struggling. It really gets worse as time goes on.

Examples (out of hundreds):
- I read out a serial number to a guy at work and every single number was incorrect.
- constantly forgetting conversations mid way through. My wife constantly saying ‘what the hell, that’s how we started the conversation’.
- Getting into some serious issues with reading. I pretty much can’t read continuously now.
- Looked at my daughter tonight and had a slight confusion over her.

It really is getting worse. On top of words being forgotten, names being forgotten. I’ve worked with a guy for four years and recently forgot his surname

This is has been going on for months now. Do you really thing if you had dementia you would be able to post in an online forum?