PDA

View Full Version : Convinced I have a brain tumour!

paranoidhannah
20-01-18, 11:54
Hi all, I’m new to this site but I am getting so paranoid and genuinely upset about the situation.
I’m a 19 year old girl, healthy in most departments apart from mental health issues (BPD & OCD which shows itself as health anxiety lol typical that I’m going to be on here) anyway, since December 2016 I started getting migraines with aura, however most the time I would not get a headache. I went to the doctor straight away after my first attack and she just sent me in for some eye tests. They were extremely frequent but within 2 months they had calmed down a whole lot. I’m on sertraline and I’ve noticed since taking that they have only appeared around my “time of the month” or if I stop taking my medications.
However since August last year every now and then I will get this awful burning sensation in my left shoulder which either goes up to my head and face (no weakness just discomfort) or down my arm. I have really bad tension in my shoulders but can’t help but think it’s down to a brain tumour. I have other symptoms too, like occasional weakness on one side for a few minutes (which isn’t pins and needles related) but that has only happened about twice. I drive myself insane looking through “shocking stories” of brain tumour discoveries and cannot shake this fear. The burning sensation is only in my left shoulder/left side of face/left arm. I want to speak to my family but my grandad has just been diagnosed with a brain tumour himself so I don’t want my family thinking I’m “attention seeking”.
Any support or advice would be amazing!!!!

bubx
20-01-18, 12:26
I'm sorry to hear about your grandad. I went through a brain tumour anxiety recently. If you are concerned check with your doctor and they can perform a simple neuro-exam to ensure all aspects of the brain are functioning.

DO NOT look up people's stories in relation to illnesses. I have gone down that path and it is one of the reasons I can't let go of my fear for certain diseases. I find that stress causes me to have tension and aches in weird places. If you need someone to talk to, I am happy to chat :)

EmmerLooeez
20-01-18, 12:55
Hey,

It could very well be due to your migraines. I get them too, particularly around the time of the month and get some weird symptoms! Sometimes my lip droops, sometimes my whole body feels FREEZING and I can't stop shivering, no matter how warm I am. Sometimes I get the freaky vision things. Migraines are bizarre and can cause so many symptoms.

If you are really concerned then do go to your doctor and discuss your symptoms and hopefully they can give you some peace of mind. xx