PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety first time poster

Healthanxietysuffere
20-01-18, 15:49
I'm a 39 year old female. Since June, I've had terrible health anxiety, off and on, but mostly on. I've had a CT scan for a brain tumor (negative), abdominal ultrasound (negative) lots of blood work(fine), h. Pylori test (negative), fecal blood test (negative). I can't shake that I might have some kind of cancer. I was just at urgent Care yesterday for pain in my rectum. Doc saw nothing wrong. I think I can see a couple small hemorrhoids when I look, but not sure. Anyway, I have constant fear, have lost 5-6 lbs due to decreased appetite, which I can't help attributing to cancer. Can someone help? I've liked reading all your supportive replies, and am looking for some support and positivity. Oh, and I am a victim of too much googling and symptom checking. I just want to enjoy my life! I cried to the doctor at urgent Care yesterday, who suggested I talk to someone about my anxiety.

nomorepanic
20-01-18, 16:38
I agree that you need to talk to someone about the anxiety first and foremost.

:welcome: abaord

jojo2316
20-01-18, 20:16
Certainly I can relate and sympathise. Do you know what first triggered your feelings?

TheGroundhog
20-01-18, 20:19
The first steps are to stop googling and reassurance seeking :)

Hard as it is you need to stop talking about your physical symptoms and start considering your anxiety.

Your GP is your first point of contact.

WiseMonkey
20-01-18, 20:26
Hi,

I understand your HA ...

When you have anxiety you can become hyper-vigilant and parts of your body can become hypersensitive as stress can affect muscle tension. The bowel is one such area as it can go into a spasm.

When you're in this state it's difficult to relax but maybe just a walk (some exercise) or something else you enjoy doing can help :)

Healthanxietysuffere
20-01-18, 21:27
Hi all,
Thanks for replies! I have struggled with health anxiety since I was a teenager, but this last 6 months I just can't shake it, it's one thing after another. It started with a phantom smell/dizziness thing, which has led to at least 12 other illnesses I've feared since then. I have been to the doctor more times in the last 6 months than I had in the last 5 years combined. Plus I'm a busy grad student with 2 kids.