PDA

View Full Version : scared of the flu!

scaredpt
20-01-18, 17:44
I've been reading all the news reports about what a deadly flu season it is and it is really triggering to me! Even many healthy people are dying of the flu. I live in a big city so I have to take public transportation and I'm scared of dying from the flu

nomorepanic
20-01-18, 17:55
We have loads of posts about this - search for them and you can read all the replies so far about it.

scaredpt
20-01-18, 19:21
Yeah but I’m especially worried because I’m in the Us and have to use public transit all the time

Fishmanpa
20-01-18, 19:37
Ok... so? I had the shot, got gout in my wrist, a bad cold and I'm just getting over the norovirus and I drive myself to work and back, hardly in public places other than to shop, used common sense and washed my hands, used wipes etc.

If you're gonna get sick, you're gonna get sick. You deal and move on.

Positive thoughts

WiredIncorrectly
20-01-18, 20:00
To be honest the flu is no concern. I was told that people who go to extra lengths to avoid the flu are at more risk of getting it because the body isn't used to it.

Flu sucks, but it's no big deal. Everyone gets it. I have a son and he is always coming abck with the flu, or some bug. They rarely effect me and I haven't been ill with the flu this winter at all.

When you get a flu jab they literally inject the flu into you so your body can fight and defend against it.

Don't even worry about it. You will get the flu, embrace it :) It's an excuse to sit in bed and relax for a day or 2. I enjoy the flu at times, especially during a stressful period with work. Gives me a day off ha ha

Fishmanpa
20-01-18, 20:20
To be honest the flu is no concern. I was told that people who go to extra lengths to avoid the flu are at more risk of getting it because the body isn't used to it.

Flu sucks, but it's no big deal. Everyone gets it. I have a son and he is always coming abck with the flu, or some bug. They rarely effect me and I haven't been ill with the flu this winter at all.

When you get a flu jab they literally inject the flu into you so your body can fight and defend against it.

Don't even worry about it. You will get the flu, embrace it :) It's an excuse to sit in bed and relax for a day or 2. I enjoy the flu at times, especially during a stressful period with work. Gives me a day off ha ha

While I certainly didn't "enjoy" it, I have slept more in the last three days than I have in weeks! Still sucks though! :glare:

Ppositive thoughts

Chris 614
20-01-18, 22:19
Every year they report about the "deadly flu season" . This year is no different than other years. Do you remember when swine flu was causing panic? Currently the CDC reports that the flu vaccine is between 10-30% effective. I didn't get the vaccine. If the numbers were higher I probably would.

I've had the flu twice in my adult life. It was very unpleasant. If I had to use public transportation i would wear a mask. I've seen people at the store wearing surgical masks...just yesterday in fact. I think there are definitely ways to protect yourself. Last year at my mom's assisted living facility more than half of the people got the flu.(and they all got the vaccine) This year they changed some things...they use antibacterial foam constantly, and are cleaning surfaces more diligently. I don't think anyone has gotten the flu yet(last I heard)...not even my mom, and she's a flu magnet!

There are things you can do to try and prevent getting the flu. The CDC website and many others give you simple instructions.

NervUs
20-01-18, 22:57
I got the flu this season. I am on the tail end of it now, at day 13. It was absolutely terrible to go through it, in that it was painful and uncomfortable, and all 3 of my kids also had it at the same time I did and my husband did so self-care was really hard to accomplish and I wanted to cry daily, lol. But, it is what it is. None of us had complications, or needed to visit the hospital. The best you can do in that circumstance is just be aware of what to look for in terms of a medical emergency, like can't breathe, chest pain, not responsive, etc and go to the hospital then. It comes to that for a sliver of the people with the flu. I know this is HA but it doesn't make sense to worry about it.