PDA

View Full Version : Worried about C-diff now from antibiotics

tan235
20-01-18, 21:03
Hi All!
So I'm on triple therapy for H Pylori, but what I'm on can cause C -diff!
Plus I'm on a high does - clarithromycin 500mg x 2 a day, I was reading that the standard is 250mg twice a day and even then - that can cause C DIFF.
I'm having a really hard time taking these antibiotics.
Anyone taken such a hard core dose and been ok - plus I've got a horrible metallic taste in my mouth which is not fun.

Bastett
20-01-18, 21:09
What is C diff?

WiseMonkey
20-01-18, 21:16
Hi All!
So I'm on triple therapy for H Pylori, but what I'm on can cause C -diff!
Plus I'm on a high does - clarithromycin 500mg x 2 a day, I was reading that the standard is 250mg twice a day and even then - that can cause C DIFF.
I'm having a really hard time taking these antibiotics.
Anyone taken such a hard core dose and been ok - plus I've got a horrible metallic taste in my mouth which is not fun.

Hi,

You are only taking these for a short period of time, some people have to take various antibiotics for months. So zero risk for you :)

pulisa
20-01-18, 21:18
Err..where did you read this? Do you actually trust your doctor to prescribe?

tan235
20-01-18, 21:24
NO I don't trust my Dr!
I think she's over prescribed - all I've been doing is research and it says most people take 250mg x 2 a day for h pyori and Im taking 500mg 2x a day - plus the other antibiotic, I'm just concerned as I've never had side effects from antis but i have a horrible taste in my mouth from them and i just don't feel right, and I'm scared i'm on a slippery slope.

Does it really matter if it's for a short time wise monkey? x
agggh I can't wait for these 7 days to be over so I can stop taking these drugs

Fishmanpa
20-01-18, 21:25
Tan... I saw this coming :blush:

H Pylori is a real nasty critter. My wife had it as was a pretty sick pup. I don't know what to tell you on how to cope other than tough it out, trust the docs and take your meds. You don't want to end up with ulcers or bleeding. Like I said, IMO, at worst, you're may feel a bit dodgy. But if you're that concerned, phone your doctor to confirm.

Positive thoughts

tan235
20-01-18, 21:30
THanks guys, yes I've booked a time to go see them tomorrow. I just feel it could still be eradicated with less antibiotic. It's making me feel so ill and I dont' know if it's the antibiotic or my anxiety.
I've been in bed for 2 days with severe anxiety so maybe i should get up and take some probiotics and try forget about it.
I dont' want c diff.

WiseMonkey
20-01-18, 21:45
Tan... I saw this coming :blush:

H Pylori is a real nasty critter. My wife had it as was a pretty sick pup. I don't know what to tell you on how to cope other than tough it out, trust the docs and take your meds. You don't want to end up with ulcers or bleeding. Like I said, IMO, at worst, you're may feel a bit dodgy. But if you're that concerned, phone your doctor to confirm.

Positive thoughts

Great advice here Fishmanpa :)

Tan, my dose was the same as yours, they were high dose for 7 days. I took them and had no side effects, this is your HA that's kicking in here.

I had to take an antibiotics for 3 months for an eye infection (2 years ago) plus I had 10 days of metronidazole for an abscessed tooth (15 years ago, same year as I had H-Pylori) ... no C-diff or anything else (except HA sometimes) plus I'm still fit and healthy. If I got H-P again I'd have no hesitation in doing the treatment over again.

Stay cool, take the meds x

tan235
20-01-18, 21:48
Thanks wisemonkey xo

tan235
27-01-18, 20:57
Hey All, 2nd day of the antibiotics, I got mad thrush everywhere which iis horrilbe so now worried that this can cause c diff as well as obviously my gut is messed up.
I have loose stools and something doesn' feel right, I just want to be healthy again!!!
agggh.

WiseMonkey
27-01-18, 21:35
Hi,

No you won't get c-diff. Did your Dr give you treatment for thrush (she should have) if not get a free script for some. Take 2 probiotics a day as well for a couple of months x

ps. After reading about c-diff it appears to be far more prevalent among older people and those in health care situations. You've been at home so that's good :)