PDA

View Full Version : Annoyed with Medicaid

braveinfiction
21-01-18, 00:23
I filed for Medicaid because I had no insurance, mental health issues related to health anxiety, hospital bills stacking up etc, she filed it under "Family Planning." What gives? At the time I didn't think anything of it when she did told me it would be filed under "Family Planning" and not Medicaid, because I (and my dad who was with me) just assumed it was just what some program was called, but when I got it approved and in the mail, it was literally a bunch of shit for literally planning a family. Basically covering tests for HIV, paps smears (I'm a guy), etc. I don't even have a significant other and I told her this at the time.

Is there any reason she would do this and NOT file for the Medicaid in general? I also am filing for disability at the moment; I don't know why she would do this when I told her how difficult of a time I was having, explained all the bills stacking up and tests being done, etc. I'm assuming there must be a reason she filed for this and not just Medicaid, but I can't find anything on it and I'm very confused, anxious and kind of angry. I feel like I completely wasted time and energy on this, not to mention an entire ****ing week or more since applying.

NervUs
21-01-18, 00:34
I would call your rep in Congress (Representative or Senator, I would pick the Democratic one) and explain what happened and that you don't understand why and that you need help applying for Medicaid.

It is possible you don't qualify, and that's why they filed it under Family PLanning. But honestly, none of it makes sense at all and, from what I understand, it's hard to get answers from welfare offices. So, have your Rep help you through this process.

Chris 614
21-01-18, 00:39
Did you ask your caseworker why she did this? Did she just make a mistake? What state do you live in? (I thought you were starting a new job? Or am I thinking of someone else?)

braveinfiction
21-01-18, 00:43
Did you ask your caseworker why she did this? Did she just make a mistake? What state do you live in? (I thought you were starting a new job? Or am I thinking of someone else?)

I didn't ask her, because at the time we didn't know what it was. We gave her no indication this is what I wanted. It was clearly addressed to her what my problems were. My dad is saying perhaps this is her way of quickly getting me approved, under the idea that if I were to get disability, Medicaid would somehow be approved afterward? Either way, we're going to address this on Monday. I don't know why she did this, but she explicitly told me she was filing it under family planning and not Medicaid at the time, so she must've had some reason. I live in NC.

swgrl09
21-01-18, 01:36
There are many, many different medicaid programs. Maybe in order for you to qualify she had to file it under something like that?

Chris 614
21-01-18, 02:05
That's why I asked you what state you were in. Each state is different and has different programs. We have the Oregon health plan, which is medicaid. If you call your caseworker I'm sure this can be all be worked out. I just read about this family planning plan you have in NC, and while it sounds like a great service, you don't seem to be in the right plan!

swgrl09
21-01-18, 02:42
Right, in my state all the medicaid programs are called Husky but within that there are tons of different versions: for low income adults, for disabled, for women and infants, for children, etc.