PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety over oesophagus cancer

Chris1985
21-01-18, 08:50
Hi all,

Like many on here I know I have health anxiety, but unfortunately that doesn't stop my anxiety when I get symptoms of things!

My current episode started back in december with pains in my side, I went to the doctor then and they referred me for a non urgent ultrasound. In the next couple of weeks had a sore head and went back to the doctors convinced I had a brain tumour. I was wrong obviously. Then I managed to convince myself I had testicular cancer and that it was at such an advanced stage it couldn't be cured. After my ultrasound was clear the pains went away and so did thoughts of TC.

This takes me to now, my last visit to the doctors to get the ultrasound results I told them I felt like I had something stuck in my throat and was having more acid reflux than normal. She prescribed Lansoprazole and off I went. Since then I have been getting pains in my back and chest, horrible taste in my mouth and a feeling like something is stuck far down my throat. I don't have any difficulty swallowing but I feel like I will soon.

I've convinced myself it's oesophagus cancer. I'm 32 and don't smoke and only drink now and then. My doctor says this is highly unlikely in someone my age and not to worry- but obviously I do. They have referred me for treatment for my HA too which is good and should help with some of these things, but I can't get cancer out of my head.

It's ruining my life at the moment I can't think of anything else! Should I go back to the doctors and demand an endoscopy? The doctor didn't seem to think I warranted it. It might be all that I need to stop the anxiety, but tests make the anxiety worse in the build up!

WiseMonkey
21-01-18, 09:03
Hi,

I have had this fear also. There are a couple of threads going about this topic and some great advice.
If you have medical insurance and you haven't had an endoscopy for several years then you could ask your Dr for one.

The procedure is very easy, they numb your throat then give you an injection so that you can still interact but have no pain or memory of it.

Anxiety makes these throat and esophagus issues worse because they can become hypersensitive and the muscles can do all sorts of weird things.

Chris1985
21-01-18, 09:09
Thanks for the reply. I'm in the UK so would just need to persuade my GP that I need the procedure. At the moment they don't think I need it and are probably reluctant after doing many blood tests and ultrasounds in the last month for other things.

EmmerLooeez
21-01-18, 09:33
The problem with you demanding an endoscopy is that the results will be fine, you will feel reassured for a while but your fear will change and then it will be another test that you need for reassurance and it isn't sustainable, nor is it good for your anxiety overall.

You need to be as open as poss with your doctor and when they tell you their medical opinion, try to listen and be reassured. These symptoms and anxieties will pass too. X x

Chris1985
21-01-18, 09:47
Thanks for your reply. I know, and I actually don't want to waste more of the NHS money on tests that I don't need. I've gone private for the health anxiety as my GP said that would be quicker, so hopefully that will help things.

Sometimes I am calm and can see it's all anxiety, but other times I'm conviced it's cancer and can't be anything else. I thought I was over this for about 2 days I was feeling great!

EmmerLooeez
21-01-18, 11:30
I know, it's horrible to go through. What help will you be getting with your health anxiety?

I honestly never thought I'd be free of health anxiety, but it is so much easier now. You will get there. Xx

Chris1985
21-01-18, 11:41
It's an initial referral to a psychologist, that's all I know at the moment. Hoping that helps a lot. It's such a slow process with anxiety when I think I'm free of it it just pops back up again.

But in classic HA fashion I still think there's a chance this could be cancer which terrifies me.