PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing in leg /fingers

Anxietyel
21-01-18, 13:17
Hey Guys! I was wondering if anyone happened to experience a Buzzi g/vibrating feeling from anxiety? I have it at my left leg (the one also twitching which keeps on sending me down the dreaded ALS rabbit hole 😢) but I also notice it at small patches on fingers for example. In my leg it is like a slight buzzing or vibrating happens to the muscles. In my fingers it is like a buzzing on a patch of skin for a few seconds, dtops, starts again etc. Could this me from anxiety? Does anyone recognize this? I was almost ready to let the twitching muscle in my leg go (also since a few more twitches on other places show up and that makes it more logical to be from anxiety for me) but now the buzzing it pulling me into that hole again! And i must sayc its an extraordinarily dark one 😞

melfish
21-01-18, 22:21
Buzzing isn't an ALS symptom, so you can strike that off your list ;)

---------- Post added at 14:21 ---------- Previous post was at 14:17 ----------

ALS affects the motor nerves, not the sensory ones

Anxietyel
21-01-18, 22:22
Well i have seen some people stating they experienced buzzing.. but thats not really the question :-). Question is, is this an anxiety symptom people recognize? Especially the fingers i wonder about

melfish
21-01-18, 22:47
The problem with relying on anecdotes is that people have a natural tendency to retroactively connect the dots. So after a diagnosis, people will think of all the signs and symptoms they experienced in the leadup, then kind of shoehorn them into the diagnosis. It's something that PALS themselves caution about. Buzzing sensations are common with anxiety. Does that mean they are a symptom of ALS if they occur concurrently with a diagnosis? No. Correlation doesn't equal causation.

Trust me, if you go looking, you will find all manner of outlier case studies that fit your "symptoms". Nip that in the bud, if you can ...

Deltazv1
22-01-18, 08:56
Hi Ellebelle
I've had that before. It started in my foot, moved to my leg than jumped to my middle finger. This symptom lasted about 4 months before it randomly disappeared. Fingers don't have any muscles so cross out ALS out of your fatal disease list haha. Try searching your symptoms and add anxiety to your search. I still have twitching but it's a lot less frequent and weaker.

---------- Post added at 08:56 ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 ----------

Here's a list of all my symptoms. (Not in order)
Burning sensation. Lasted 5 days
Twitching all over with Hotspots in my legs.
Water drop sensation. lasted 3 months
Ants sensation on my skin or like a hair moving around. lasted about 2 weeks
Hand, leg and arm tremor. lasted 2 months
Flashing lights when sleeping. (lasted about 2 weeks)
hypnagogic jerks, Would wake up with my leg or arm shaking. lasted about 3 months

Internal vibrations all over my body, more on my feet and hands. 4 months

Difficulty swallowing. Lasted a few days
Eyes felt like they couldn't focus. 5 weeks
Stiff fingers and knees. 6 months
Numbness in my feet and hands, more noticeable when laying down. 1 week

Pallesthesia or known as pins and needles. 3 weeks
Sensation of some thing stuck in my throat. 2 weeks
Difficulty speaking, unable to remember words.
Tongue twitches. 5 months
excessive sweating. 1 month
Off balanced when walking. 2 months
Difficulty moving fingers. 6 weeks
Difficulty walking, knees felt weak. Still get it when i have anxiety.
Constantly catching Colds and flu like infections. Sick 3 times within 6 months
Sensation of someone stabing me with a needle. about 4 weeks
Sleep paralysis about once a month for 3 months.
Horrible nightmares.
Sensitive to light, light would blind me easily. lasted a few weeks
Eyes would take longer to adjust to darkness.
Stomach ache and diarrhea for 2 weeks straight.
Headaches that lasted all day for a month.
Fast heart beat and high blood pressure.
Feeling that i was going to faint but never did, just happened once.
Fatigue for 3 days straight.
Going nights without sleeping.
Constantly asking my family members for reassurance.
Difficulty remembering what i did that day.
Heart felt like it was gonna stop
I kept tracked of everything because i knew it was anxiety but I'm dumb so i kept googling and scaring myself into ALS, CJD and Brain Cancer. Never Google you'll just get more symptoms that shouldn't be there. Medical students get these symptoms all the time. When medical students get to this level of anxiety it's called medical students disease. Main symptoms are Twitching, weakness and any neurological symptom you trick yourself into having.

Anxietyel
22-01-18, 12:59
Thank you soo much.. I notice now the buzzing is going on everywhere, but can you blame it after the high anxiety levels? You are totally right.. it is NOT Als. :blush: Sometimes you just need the reassurance and need to find someone going through the same thing who in the end doesnt turn out to be sick!:hugs:

BazB44
22-01-18, 16:28
wow delta, and how far back do these symptoms go? Ive had loads of symptoms for ages now but I notice I seem to get worse and worse. Like now it feels like my whole body is off. almost every part of the body seems to have some issue and its terrifying. Some days I can barely function, even getting to my car seems like an obstacle lol

Deltazv1
22-01-18, 19:25
Thank you soo much.. I notice now the buzzing is going on everywhere, but can you blame it after the high anxiety levels? You are totally right.. it is NOT Als. :blush: Sometimes you just need the reassurance and need to find someone going through the same thing who in the end doesnt turn out to be sick!:hugs:
Once you relax you'll notice the symptoms start to slowly fade away. It takes months of stress and anxiety free for symptoms to disappear so don't panic if they're not going away. I forgot to mention I've never taken any anxiety medication so this was 100% Anxiety and no diseases run in my family at all. I'm also too young for any disease (20). You should try chamomile tea, it has really helped me fight my anxiety haha. :bighug1:

BazB44
22-01-18, 19:54
I must be the lone ranger on chamomile tea. I tried chamomile and it made me worse lol. Green tea relaxes me.

Deltazv1
22-01-18, 19:57
wow delta, and how far back do these symptoms go? Ive had loads of symptoms for ages now but I notice I seem to get worse and worse. Like now it feels like my whole body is off. almost every part of the body seems to have some issue and its terrifying. Some days I can barely function, even getting to my car seems like an obstacle lol
Hi BazB44
The anxiety started May when i noticed my finger was crooked and i thought i had swan swan neck deformity from Rheumatoid arthritis. I went a full month with anxiety, panic attaks about my finger. Early June 2017 it's when i got a cold wet sensation all of over my body like water on my skin and convinced myself i had MS. In July i was deep into anxiety i couldn't function correctly and so stressed my hair started falling out. That's when i developed mostly all my symptoms specially the muscle twitching that one destroyed me. I was in my room all day i can't remember doing anything except for googling fatal disease that had twitching. I started getting better in November when i read about medical students disease and realize all my symptoms sound a lot like anxiety. I researched an found a lot of people that gone under a lot of anxiety and stress developed twitching and strange sensations. They had also gotten mri, spine taps and EMG found nothing that's when realized how powerful anxiety is. Right now i only have minor muscle twitching, but it's getting better. :roflmao:

Anxietyel
24-01-18, 10:56
It sounds like you had quite a journey already, i am so sorry but am glad to hear you are getting better, even if it is slowly! I had some preeeeetty bad braintumor fears and high level anxiety for 6 weeks (not functioning at all!!) but the weekend after my braintumor fears subsided (thanks to MRI) my thigh started to twitch. It has twitched ever since, couple of times a day like a machine gun. I fell for the evil dr google trap and found that awful disease and for the past 2 weeks have been cripled with fear over that . Because for a few months i noticed my left hand was a but stiff (most commonly because i have a desk job and my hand is bound to get stiff after a couple of hours typing) but once i thought of that it got worse and worse. Is that weakness? No.. just a funny feeling.. probably anxiety related.. ughh.. But then this weekend the twitching has become widespread (shoulders, abdomen, even the neck!!) and would reassure me it IS from anxiety.. only thing that was (and kinda still is) bothering me is the focal onset.. It started in the thigh and took 2 weeks to become widespread.. Well i know about the hotspots but from what i can tell most experience them AFTER widespread onset.. on the other hand if i wasnt already so high in anxietylevel i probably wouldnt even have noticed or gave much regard to the occasional thigh twitch so it doesnt mean that much.. I find the hardest to stop focusing on the thigh and on the funny stuff left hand.. feel like i keep wanting to 'test' it (Oh yessss my fine motor skills are allright!) but i know this feeds my anxiety.. at the same time i cannot stop my mind yet from 'checking' on my left hand and my twitching.. it's such a vicious circle..