PDA

View Full Version : Swelling/thickening of inner cheek worried about oral cancer

joe23_martin
22-01-18, 00:14
Hi all,

I noticed around 5 weeks ago that my mouth was sore. It just came on and I noticed when I was eating.

The stinging went away however the swelling has not.

The location is just inside the corner of my lip on the left side. It feels much thicker than the other side. It did like an ulcer was there.

I went dentist she looked inside and was not concerned. However, she did not feel the location.

I am worries about oral cancer. Has anyone got any experience of this?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

nomorepanic
22-01-18, 00:18
Yes - your dentist - they don't have to poke and prod to see things.

Why don't you trust them yet asking us for medical advice?

joe23_martin
22-01-18, 07:36
Nothing is visible, so it is more of a feel thing

axolotl
22-01-18, 09:35
I went dentist she looked inside and was not concerned.

So you don't need the opinion of medically untrained Internet randoms then, do you?

Carys
22-01-18, 10:20
Hiyer,

As others have said, your dentist has given you the 'all clear'. They know what to look for, they are trained in actually checking for oral cancers (mine does on every routine check-up) and if they are not concerned, then neither should you be. That's good news right? Ulcers and sore areas of the mouth can leave behind scar areas that take time to resolve. Just as a cut on another part of your body can leave behind a raised, red area for a loonnnggg time. We don't question that on other body parts, why is the mouth different?

joe23_martin
22-01-18, 17:10
Thank you for getting back to me. Like I say it felt like a lump inside where the cheek meets corner of lump.

So I was unsure how dentist would know without feeling the the location.

Carys
22-01-18, 17:16
They can see oral cancer, they don't need to feel it.

joe23_martin
23-01-18, 22:19
Ah I had no idea, I thought it may have been a gland. Which to be honest was another huge fear of mine of past times.

Doctor saw it as well, as I had an appointment for a knee injury. He said mouth looked fine to him as well.