PDA

View Full Version : Flu while pregnant?

katielovespizza
22-01-18, 22:59
Hi guys,

I'm five months pregnant with my first baby, and panicking about the flu. Of course it's flu season right now in the US, and I teach at the university level and have had five students come down with it this week (all who I taught last Friday). One of my students emailed me from the hospital telling me she was suffering from dehydration and had to be on an IV. News stories about how awful the flu has been this year and how it is worse than previous years, as well as stories of healthy people dying from it have been all over the place (no Googling necessary). I was hoping to calm myself down by reading on a pregnant ladies' forum I frequent about the flu while pregnant (surely lots of people have had it while pregnant, right?), but of course the first thing I stumble on is a post about how a woman lost her baby due to complications from the flu while pregnant. Instant panic. After teaching on Friday, I woke up on Saturday with a little bit of a headache and my husband did as well. It was off and on throughout the day. Yesterday was the same, maybe even less. Today I woke up with a headache again and a little bit of a cough that went away after I was awake for 30 minutes. Now, I don't feel that bad at all, just a mild headache. No sniffling, no fever, etc. My throat feels a tiny bit scratchy. I called one of the nurses at my doctors' office and she said to just stay very, very hydrated as that is the main complication with the flu, and to wait it out. She did say, though, that headache and body ache are the two first symptoms of this year's flu (great) and that I may be in the beginning stages of it. That part confused me, because what I thought I knew about the flu was that it came on pretty suddenly, whereas this headache situation has been off and on for the past few days.

I'm trying to keep relaxed because I don't want this to spiral out of control. And if I do get the flu, I don't want to be in an anxious state and have not been able to sleep since that will probably make it all worse. Any moms here had the flu while pregnant and been okay? Anyone have a guess about my symptoms? Hoping it's just a cold or something and that it'll pass. In the meantime, lots and lots of water and vitamin C for me...

jules321
23-01-18, 14:48
You know I understand your flu panic. I’m not pregnant but posted about my fears. I was talking to a pregnant friend yesterday asking if she’s nervous about the flu. She teaches elementary school kids and has 2 school-aged kids of her own so is around a lot of germs. She said she’s not nervous in the slightest. It helps me to hear that and makes me realize most people are moving through their days without thinking about the flu at all. I asked her if she’d panic if she got the flu- and she said not at all. Another friend of mine said it’s give her a chance to catch up on her tv shows. Just interesting perspectives I thought I’d share since I’m in the fetal position about the flu.

katielovespizza
23-01-18, 16:21
Thanks so much, Jules! This really made me feel better. I couldn't sleep last night, I was just constantly checking myself for fever or any other signs of flu. I'd fall asleep for an hour or two and wake up in a panic. But you're right, most people are moving on with their lives and if they get it they get it. I honestly just can't wait for flu season to be over. Come on Spring!

jules321
23-01-18, 16:44
OMG you and I are so much alike! I keep waking up through the night, checking my temp for fever, and acting like a loon. This morning I have convinced myself that I feel my body revving up for a fight against the flu. I know I need to get a grip and can see how nice it looks over in NormalVille where people are dropping their kids off at school appearing calm... but I can't stop reminding my child to use hand sanitizer, searching everyone's face for anyone who might possibly appear ill so as to avoid them, then coming home and assessing how my body feels. It's exhausting! And I'm feeling very mad at my friend who walked up to me yesterday when sick - when I know I should feel more empathetic over the fact that she's sick instead of just worrying if it's going to impact me. What concerns me is that I don't want to go through this every winter. I *never* used to worry or even think about the flu. I don't know what changed (besides having my child with triggered my HA into the stratosphere). I just hope that next year's vaccine works well so we can feel more reassured...