PDA

View Full Version : UTI anxiety

tillyyyyy
23-01-18, 15:56
I was recently diagnosed with a uti after waking up vomiting with a high fever (from an emetophobic person terrified of vomit this already starts on a bad note). I had severe lower back pain so went to the doctors with a urine sample where I was given a 3 day course of antibiotics (trimethoprim). As I had no symptoms before the fever/vomiting I’m scared the infection hasn’t gone away and I wouldn’t know. I’ve dropped another urine sample at the doctors as they asked for another but I’m scared it hasn’t gone completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katielovespizza
23-01-18, 16:24
If the infection hasn't gone away, you'll know because the doctors will let you know. That's why they took another urine sample--to monitor for that. Just be patient and know that they have your best interest at heart. Additionally, antibiotics usually do a good job at knocking out UTIs pretty quickly (I've had a few in the past, and they've always worked for me).

Carys
23-01-18, 16:37
As Katie said above they will culture any bacteria if remaining in the sample, and prescribe a different/more specific antibiotic if bacteria are still in evidence. I had a 3 day trimethoprine course this summer for a UTI and I was asked the same as you to do a smaple after finishing the course, actually I never did as waited a few days and it had certainly gone (so didn't bother). It sounds like you had a pretty rough response to this UTI, how are you feeling now?

tillyyyyy
05-02-18, 13:51
As Katie said above they will culture any bacteria if remaining in the sample, and prescribe a different/more specific antibiotic if bacteria are still in evidence. I had a 3 day trimethoprine course this summer for a UTI and I was asked the same as you to do a smaple after finishing the course, actually I never did as waited a few days and it had certainly gone (so didn't bother). It sounds like you had a pretty rough response to this UTI, how are you feeling now?

Much better now Thankyou!! Sure enough, the antibiotics and my second results came back normal! Let just hope it doesn’t come back aha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carys
05-02-18, 14:18
Thanks for updating Tilly, its always nice to hear the outcome.