PDA

View Full Version : Lump/'mass' front of neck and sore node- please help

Af77
23-01-18, 19:42
Hi there, used to use this forum years ago and it really helped. Had HA severely since being about 14, so I am 12 years in.

Came back here because I am looking for some urgent reassurance. I have been getting sore throats on and off for the best part of a year, sometimes I have them for a day and then they disappear, not related to other cold/ flu symptoms. I have also noticed that I have pain on the right hand side of my neck just under my chin and towards my windpipe.

Anyway been putting off the dreaded docs appointment for ages (had numerous test done last year) and went this morning. The doctor had a good prod around my neck and said she could feel a small node in the area of pain. She suggested I could go for a scan to which I said yes as I have had this pain for about 6 months. I have to say the pain is only really there on prodding, but whenever I have had a sore throat it seems to hurt most on that side too. Anyway, might have been able to cope with this, but then she came in for another feel and said that she could feel something else on the front of my neck, to the right hand side (described it as a 'mass' scared the hell out of me), said it could be that my atorial (sp?) bone could be funny shaped, but that she would definitely be sending me for a scan now. From my memory I remember this spot also used to hurt when I would brush foundation on it. Hasn't been as bad since though, shocked me that she felt anything there.

So spent all day trying to get in for an urgent scan as HA means I can't cope with the thought of waiting weeks. Had no luck. I no longer Google for cancers but that is my fear now. Just think it's been a good 6 months I've been putting this off, and in that time I have had random days of feeling flu like, then it goes. And generally being tired. Plus the fact she described the thing on the front as a 'mass'.

I was just wondering if anyone could relate to this, and if they had good outcomes? Not been able to think about anything else or eat all day, just keep imagining the dreaded c word results.

Xx

Thelegend27
24-01-18, 06:42
I can relate to the node thing, but not to the mass part, I've had palpable nodes for over a year and docs not concerned.

The mass tho could be a number of things not related to cancer, just be patient, relax and get the tests done and then see what happens. If I could rewind time 8 years back I would have never started worrying myself because it's usually nothing at all.

Af77
24-01-18, 12:00
Thanks for your reply.

Read a post on here where someone had something similar and it was to do with cartilage so hoping to god it's just that.

It's just the wait of weeks for a scan, thinking it's cancer. Basically writing my own eulogy :/.

LF87
24-01-18, 14:36
Hi,
I have the exact same thing. The front of my neck near my Adams apple hurts to touch and it's really frightening me. Had it about 4 days that I'm aware of, no idea what it could be. I am quite prone to neck tenderness, even ulcers set me off. But this is too close in to be a tender node I think, it's pretty much on my wind pipe. I've had a good feel around and can't feel anything different to the other side.
Did the doctor say what the pain could be?
Necks are so stressful! Minefield of nodes, bones, cartilages and other hard and squishy things to freak over!
Hope you're OK xx