PDA

View Full Version : Flank pain - kidney infection?

jules321
24-01-18, 14:59
I woke up with right sided flank pain today. Is that a kidney infection? I have no other symptoms besides my minor head cold. No fever or chills or urge to urinate or pain when urinating. I will also add that I need a new mattress and have been experiencing other back pain from the mattress. I flipped the mattress a week ago which solved most of the problem but am thinking the flank pain could be muscular? I am terrified of the flu so reeeeally don’t want to go into my doc office during flu season.

jules321
24-01-18, 19:45
Anyone??

Fishmanpa
24-01-18, 20:01
I woke up with right sided flank pain today. ...I will also add that I need a new mattress and have been experiencing other back pain from the mattress.

Nuff said.

Positive thoughts

jules321
24-01-18, 21:33
Well possibly but I flipped the mattress a week ago and haven’t had other back pain since... so I’m
Not sure the flank pain is related to mattress?

jules321
27-01-18, 15:40
Still having right flank pain and worries. Normally I’d run to the doctor immediately but scared to be exposed to the flu. I still have no other symptoms BUT I have been having a lot of diarrhea over the past 3 weeks (sorry TMI). I do have IBS, but it’s not normally this bad and DH and I both think we may have gotten E. coli from a meal we had after Xmas. Ironically the idea of having E. coli didn’t stress me out at all since I’m used to having GI problems. Now I’m wondering if this increased diarrhea is related to the flank pain in an ominous way? Could the diarrhea be causing the flank pain or, worse, could it be a sx of whatever is causing the flank pain?? My GI distress since xmas has only involved a lot of bathroom visits but no pain. My flank pain started just a few days ago.

Help?

Annaboodle
27-01-18, 18:30
Going on what you've said it (that's all I can go on as we're not medics) it sounds like your IBS is worse than usual because of your heightened anxiety and your bad mattress is causing muscular back pain (you really answered your own questions in your post). It is only your HA that is making any sort of connection between these two things.

A bad mattress needs replacing, or at least get a decent topper. Turning it won't help. Anyone who said to me they had a rubbish mattress I'd be telling them to watch out for back pain. Anyone saying they'd had a bout of diarrhoea I'd be asking them if they had IBS (especially if the person has anxiety, which obviously you do or you wouldn't be here. IBS is just so common on here. I have it too).

If you had a kidney infection you would have other symptoms by now.

jules321
27-01-18, 22:44
I had a video call with a nurse at my doctors office and they totally stressed me out. Said it could be a urinary infection and that some women don’t get many symptoms. I’ve never had a UTI but thought it involved painful and frequent urination. She suggested coming in to test my urine which completely stresses me out because I’m scared of being exposed to the flu at the doctors.

---------- Post added at 14:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

Just bought an AZO home test for a UTI. Didn’t know those existed. It was negative. I’ll do it again in the morning to use first urine.

jules321
29-01-18, 20:34
Still having the pain. Called my doc office back and spoke to a different nurse who seemed like he might have the flu himself and did not at all seem with it or interested in my plight. I told him I thought it might be muscular pain, which he seemed to grab onto. Wish I hadn't told him anything to see what he said. I also told him I tested negative on my OTC urinary infection test. He said it's unlikely kidney then and to take Advil (even though the other nurse told me not to take Advil on the off chance it is my kidneys). So I'm still unclear what to do or if I should see someone about it. Don't want to go to my regular doc and be exposed to flu. Maybe a GI doc?