PDA

View Full Version : Worried about weight loss

Healthanxietysuffere
24-01-18, 15:07
I have been in a pretty contentious HA spiral the last month or so. I had the flu in beginning of January and not much of an appetite, plus I was taking sudafed for my congestion, which always takes my appetite away. I’ve had severe HA most days since then and my appetite isn’t what it used to be due to the fear feelings I get in my stomach. I think I have lost between 5 and 7 pounds since December and can’t stop thinking it’s due to some undiagnosed disease like cancer. I had a full blood word one both in July and October, plus an abdominal ultrasound for some other stuff, which all came out perfectly fine. I’m due to start CBT today, but can’t eat due to HA. Anyone have any words of encouragement for me. I’m weighing myself several times a day and it’s seeming to become an obsession. I need to stop his, I have 2 kids, 8 and 10, who need their Mama back.

nomorepanic
24-01-18, 15:13
Eat less you lose weight. You are eating less hence the weight loss.

Fishmanpa
24-01-18, 15:15
Eat less you lose weight. You are eating less hence the weight loss.

You took the type out of my fingers ;)

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
24-01-18, 15:18
Doctors consider weight loss over a certain % as a trigger to investigate but they also explain how there are many reasons to rule out.

It's very easy to lose weight initially, especially if you have more weight beyond what you should be. The same genetic principle applies to gaining musclec if you work out - you gain quick in the first couple of years but then start reaching genetic potential so slow down to barely ever gaining unless you pump in the steroids.

Much of what we initially lose is water weight too. Weight alone is less meaningful as it is made up of water, fat, muscle, bone, etc. So, perhaps it's water? I've found my weight can fluctuate by a couple of pounds because of this so it can distort readings slightly. Trainers tell us to look towards continued readings to indicate changes.

ankietyjoe
24-01-18, 16:40
Absolutely nothing to be concerned about at all. I had the same flu thing going around before Christmas and lost 22lbs in 3-4 weeks. My scales can show a 5lb variation in the course of a day.

All you can do is make the decision to stop weighing yourself. It's not as hard as it sounds.

HackGame
20-04-18, 20:24
I’ve lost 16 pounds over the span of 4 months. I can’t completely explain for sure if it’s for either eating less, trying to eat healthier, or possible cancers. >_>;;

Carys
20-04-18, 20:34
but can’t eat due to HAAs others have said above, you are clearly eating less with your current anxious state. Its not unusual to lose weight when you are in a bad way mentally....as eating becomes the last thing you want to do. Last month, I got myself so worked up about various things that I lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks. The amount you have lost since Christmas isn't actually that much in the overall scheme of things. I've heard people say that people who are really bad with anxiety disorders can lose a stone or two over a quick period - obviously its not good for you - but they recover once their mind is in a better place. Rather than having just set meals, why not try snacking throughout the day on bits and pieces that you just fancy eating. SOmetimes a large meal feels like too much to accomplish, especailly if your stomach is a bit upset, but a banana one hour, a slice of bread the next hour, some nuts and raisins the next hour....you get the idea...

BikerMatt
20-04-18, 23:34
I’ve lost 16 pounds over the span of 4 months. I can’t completely explain for sure if it’s for either eating less, trying to eat healthier, or possible cancers. >_>;;

Don't worry about it that's not much.

I've lost 8 stone in 12 months:scared15:

MyNameIsTerry
21-04-18, 02:15

You were overweight and have started dieting. You could lose some quickly and then it slows down. And you have had issues with incorrect scale readings too as well as conversion kg-lbs which makes me question what else may have been incorrect in these readings.