PDA

View Full Version : Internal bleeding from drug interaction?

Panda22
24-01-18, 17:49
I started Sertraline for anxiety/despression, i take 50mg a day. But today i also took an asperin tablet (500mg) an hour before taking Sertraline.

Just now i looked up just to be sure drug interactions between the two. And it says there can be interactions and you shouldn't take both. It increases the risk of stomach bleeding.. I'm kinda worried now. Will i be ok?

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

Does anyone know if 500mg aspirin and 50mg sertraline taken together will be harmful?

Fishmanpa
24-01-18, 18:23
Best answered by a pharmacist but I can't imagine it's an issue.

Positive thoughts

Panda22
24-01-18, 18:35
Hi Fishmanpa

I tried to call my pharmacist but they're closed.

If i look online it says moderate risk, If possible, do not take together; increased risk of upper GI bleeding (upper digestive system).

I hope my stomach will be fine, 500mg aspirin is quite a high dose but i had no idea i couldn't take SSRI and aspirin together. I took an aspirin yesterday too while on sertraline

Fishmanpa
24-01-18, 18:51
I took an aspirin yesterday too while on sertraline

:doh: This happened yesterday? You're good! :winks:

Positive thoughts

Panda22
24-01-18, 18:52
Haha it happened today and yesterday

Carys
24-01-18, 19:07
Well, I looked it up too, and it says 'may' cause and bleeding and 'may' be more likely in the elderly and those with other kidney or liver conditions. Actually it says in general SSRI drugs and asprin aren't a good combo. Sooooo, where does that leave you...well, you've taken it now, theres no getting it back :D and I reckon you would know by now if there had been a 'maybe' reaction (Im not going to list the possible physical side effects here, but you'd know lol). You know for the future not to do it again. :D

Ethansmom
24-01-18, 23:52
I take Ibuprofen any time I have a headache (with my antidepressant )and I don't have internal bleeding. You are fine!

MyNameIsTerry
25-01-18, 02:06
Well, I looked it up too, and it says 'may' cause and bleeding and 'may' be more likely in the elderly and those with other kidney or liver conditions. Actually it says in general SSRI drugs and asprin aren't a good combo. Sooooo, where does that leave you...well, you've taken it now, theres no getting it back :D and I reckon you would know by now if there had been a 'maybe' reaction (Im not going to list the possible physical side effects here, but you'd know lol). You know for the future not to do it again. :D

It's as Carys says. It's something for a medical professional to potentially monitor or be aware of in "at risk" groups such as the elderly, those with certain conditions or if on certain treatments.

SRI's potentiate risk. So, they are careful adding them on top of other meds where things like this exist. But remember this is a Moderate warning, not a Major one. A Major one would normally exist where it is highly advised against.

For comparison, alcohol and SSRI's fall into Moderate. Millions of people regularly drink on them with no CNS side effects.