PDA

View Full Version : Do anyone have Overactive tightness of the pelvic floor muscle ?

Sophs50522
24-01-18, 21:17
Hi, i recently posted about my cystits symptoms and suspected IC but now I am wondering if my pelvic floor muscles are tensed? Can anyone explain symptoms of this condition please ? My symptoms are mild urge to urinate, urethal inflammation, cramps in buttocks running down the legs, hip pain and constipation. When I walk up the stairs I feel like I've just done a work out.
Acid drinks and food diet has not changed a thing either. I did a water and bread diet during my first few weeks of having these symptoms and it didnt improve so i went backto normal diet and my symptoms weirdly disappeared for a week or so.
Any advice would be great thank you.

Sophs50522
25-01-18, 20:38
Anyone ? Or do anyone have overactive bladder ?? Would love to know your symptoms for that too. I'm losing the will to live here :(

O_O
25-01-18, 20:45
Hm, not sure I'm afraid, but I do know that pelvic floor dysfunction can cause the symptoms you describe. And IC, though I understand that's normally much more painful.

I've been having what I thought was uterine tenderness for months, but my gynae today says it could actually be my bladder. My symptoms aren't quite the same as yours though.

I guess only your doctor can sort this one out! If it is IC or pelvic floor dysfunction it's kind of hard to treat unfortunately, but relaxation techniques and hypnosis can help, and sometimes anti-inflammatories.

Missb89
25-01-18, 21:00
Yes I have pelvic floor dysfunction.

Sophs50522
26-01-18, 07:33
Oh great :( i really don't know where this has all come from. I feel very annoyed with myself now for worrying about something that was no where near as bad as this. And its probably caused all my problems.
Missb89 can i ask what your symptoms are please? Do you have Uti symptoms ?
I'm just not sure if what i have is overactive bladder, IC pelvic floor dysfunction.
But im.not convinced I have IC due to me being able to eat acid foods and drinks
X

ryan0987
26-01-18, 10:05
Here is what I posted in response to another thread about frequent urination:

I can relate to this. I also often have the feeling that I need to use the loo, even though I have only been. The first time this happened was about ten years ago, and I think it was my first real instance of full blown health anxiety. I also thought it was UTI, but antibiotics didn’t solve the issue. I then thought it was my prostate, but the digital exam found it was fine. Finally I de-stressed my life and went onto an antidepressant and the issue slowly went away.

However, this past year the issue popped up again. Once again my GP tested my urine (clear, no UTI) and prostate (digital, feels fine). I was already on SSRI, and neither one of us wanted to increase its dosage at the time. Ultimately what helped was relaxation and time. I found that the issue seems to be caused by my pelvic floor. I tend to hold my pelvic floor tightly. And when I am stressed (even if I am just concentrating) I hold it tighter and tighter. Ultimately I just exhaust my pelvic floor which causes weird urinary issues and sensations. Furthermore because I get stressed about the issue, I hold my PF even tighter, and I got super conscious about my bladder which causes me to tighten up down there even more. So it was a vicious cycle.

If you look up frequent urination online, most would suggest you do Kegal exercises to tone your pelvic floor. I found this was the opposite of what I needed since my PF was already too tight. So I found lower body stretches really helpful. Anything to help loose the pelvic floor - including relaxation, meditation, and stretching - helps my condition. Also when I feel I have the issue more under control I keep a wee diary so I can gauge the time between elimination. Because I realized sometimes I think I go a lot but it wasn’t actually that much. Furthermore it does help with training myself that I can hold the wee longer than I think I can.

Unfortunately I think it’s one of those physical symptoms my anxiety defaults to, and I have learned to accept it and work to manage it. It does go away, but annoyingly it only goes away when you don’t think about it, but it’s so annoying so it’s hard not to think about.

Dubmom
26-01-18, 13:34
I have a hypertonic pelvic floor. Mine has come from Endometriosis, scar tissue from multiple previous surgeries, and muscle/nerve damage from those surgeries as well. I would suggest seeing a uro-gynecologist as they can perform tests and tell you definitely if your pelvic floor is to blame.

Missb89
26-01-18, 18:34
I do have UTI like symptoms with frequent urination and occasional urethral burning pain but I always test negative for UTIs. I sometimes have internal vaginal stabbing pains as well.

Sophs50522
26-01-18, 22:13
Hey Ryan, thank you so much for replying, that would make more sense to be honest because my symptoms went away for a week and I felt absolutely fine and then it came on again. i've read that stress and anxiety cause bladder spasms too and today i noticed as soon as i got really stressed earlier my symptoms were 10x worse so its no doubt related. I'm just hoping urologist can provide some short term relief and it goes away eventually.

Thanks dubmom, i will get that checked out also just incase. I'm sure they will know once I've had some tests done.

Missb9
That's like mine,frequent urinating and the occasional uretha burning. Which is the one symptom that reminds me of it most. I can manage the urinating side of it but the burning just bothers me. It comes and goes throughout the day. It's so mild though and don't burn at all when I actually urinate.
Thank you everyone!

busterrufus
30-01-18, 19:26
Hi, I'm not sure if pfm tightness causes ic but I know it can cause urinary frequency and some types of pelvic pain. There are instructions on some youtube sites on how to do reverse kegels to ease a tight pelvic floor.