PDA

View Full Version : Tests for chronic pancreatitis?

Nessajay
25-01-18, 15:30
Hello,

Over the last 12 months I've been unwell. Diherea, malabsorption, gurgling stomach, tiredness, sometimes sickness, a fever, and upper abdominal and rib pain, tachycardia.

I've had a lot checked. At times my globulin has been raised but it has gone down since just still not in the normal range.

They've checked for acute pancreatitis via bloods but these were in the normal range. Also an abdominal ultrasound and pelvic which showed everything is OK. Would an abdominal ultrasound show the pancreas as OK even in chronic pancreatitis?

They've sent off a gut hormone fasting blood test as well as a stool test to check the pancreas, would these be normal in chronic pancreatitis? It's really confusing, and I'm do confused to be honest.

The rib pain is hell and I'm trying to get through it but it's very depressing. The doctors think it's costochondritis but I also get belly pain. Looking online I can't find really any info on where the pin is for chronic pancreatitis other than left side of the abdomin.

I'm mostly asking if the ultrasound would be able to tell? I have an appointment tomorrow, so if you guys can let me know your experience with this I'll be able to discuss them with my doctor and maybe go from there. Hopefully the other samples will be back by then too.

I'm not sure if I've had acute attacks before too, but did have a few times where I couldn't walk, vomiting loads, diherea, etc lasting for months, but was always told it was flu.

Thanks

paranoid-viking
25-01-18, 18:14
I have similar pains like yu. It comes and goes but it often gets worse after coffee and alcohol. I had abdominal ultrasound. It showed the pancreas and they told me it was fine.

From what I heard the pain in an acute pancreatitis attack is unbearable and hospitalisation with three days fasting is the treatment. Friend of mine had it and it was three days in hell.

I heard of someone with chronic pancreatitis; that condition is very rare and much rarer than the acute one and from what I heard he spends a lot of the day in the toilet.

I am also scared something is wrong with the pancreas but chances are higher that it may be an inflamation in the stomach which is very treatable. Do you have acid reflux?

Halle0587
25-01-18, 23:29
There are special endoscopes they could use to check you pancreas. I’ve had it twice. Once after gallbladder surgery, very common. Once after having acne medicine, apparently you’re not supposed to use medications that cna cause liver levels to rise if you don’t have a gallbladder. Anyway, it hurts like no other pain you’ve ever felt in your life! Giving birth hurt me less, much less! I was screaming in agony and I’m a very shy quiet person, I didn’t care who was looking or who thought I was nuts, that was horrific! Also, all of my bowels were LIME green, so was my throw up. You would without a doubt know if it was pancreatitis, I promise.
To clear you mind, as for the endoscope to check your pancreas, there is two different ones though, one has a high risk of causing pancreatitis so don’t do that one. I had the other one done and my pancreas is doing well since the attacks THANK GOD! I stay away from certain things and don’t use certain medications to keep myself healthy from it now.

Nessajay
03-02-18, 05:32
Thanks for the replies!

I was in crying down to my mum pain. I can't feel pain easily too (due to having a high tolerance, I walked around with a broken back for years without realising my doctor was amazed) so it was bad. I'm not sure if I can compare it to childbirth as if I'm honest I couldn't feel much during the 40 hours of giving birth, no idea why as I didn't have pain meds, but think it's something to do with my pain freshold.

I do get some reflux but not much.

I have stopped drinking, kinda frightened of it now after finding out what it can do.

I did have some lime green bowel movements but not many.

I will ask for the endoscopy as it's really scaring me. Even willing to pay for it.

I remember years ago I was going through a time of abuse and drank loads, I was so ill for weeks, unable to walk etc. Worried it started then. I think my mega heavy drinking was always triggered by abuse so luckily I don't really encounter that anymore.

My fecal elastase came back in the 300 range, think it was high 300s, but I again read this doesn't check for chronic pancreatitis.

countrygirl
03-02-18, 16:52
I had a mri of my liver and pancreas last year because of pain sround left rib into back.i was told this was the best scan . Better than ct.

Nessajay
04-02-18, 08:06
Thank you. Did you have it with contrast? What were your results?

Nyla
15-02-18, 09:55
Hello,
How are you feeling now? I have had same pains as you (though mine seem milder than yours but location wise the same) for a few weeks now on and off so have been reluctant to go to the GP.