PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Jewels
01-07-07, 16:23
Decided to take the plunge and talk to anyone in a similar situation to me as there does not seem to be any support network in my area.

I have been suffering Anxiety & Panic Attacks for some 13yrs, and have been desperatley trying different things to stop them but so far haven't found the answer, however I will continue to battle on as its only myself that can get me out of this.

It all started when I was 19yrs old, my mum was suffering from cancer and it was really taking its toll on me. Then one day after I had just finished work, and was on my why home to catch the train as normal, out of no where I was experiencing feelings that I hadn't experienced before and thought I was going to die! Little did I know at the time, that this was in fact a panic attack. Instead of confronting the situation, I decided that I wouldn't get on a train again, and decided to drive everywhere instead, as this was the only way I felt safe. Since then, I avoid all situations that cause me fear and anixety ie holidays abroad, shopping, concerts etc and in doing this I have been putting my life on hold, it has also affected my relationships and distress to my family.

If anyone else is still suffering the same or have some helpful tips then it would be good to hear from you.

yorkylover
01-07-07, 17:13
Hi Jewels and welcome.You will get lots of support here and friendly advise.

Nibbles
01-07-07, 18:12
Hi Jewels and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. You've certainly got the right frame of mind for overcoming anxiety and as for tips the links on the left are a good place to start. For anything specific post away on the other forums and you'll soon be buried under a big pile of advice. :D

Take care,

Lindalou64
01-07-07, 23:14
hi jewels and welcome..........Linda

groovygranny
02-07-07, 00:01
Hello Jewels (what a lovely username!) :welcome:to you!

Glad you found us - you're not alone, plenty of help and support here!

Pleased to meet you!

:flowers:

bluesparkle
02-07-07, 11:44
hi jewels
welcome to nmp... you will get loads of good advice here , the people are really friendly.
i understand what you are saying and until recently i would aviod all situations that would cause me to panic... but i have got loads of advice from here and put some of it into practice and i am now able to try new situations, i have done so much this past 12-18 months things i never would have drempt i could do, ok so to someone who dosent suffer it wont sound much but i have been on a holiday with students from work( horse ridning, sailing, etc) i have gone back to work full time, i can get on a train,bus, go to the cinema and actually enjoy the film. there are still many things i havnt done yet but as you do one thing and get more confident and realise that you will be ok it replaces your negative thoughts with good ones. i am not cured and it is not always easy but you can do it, just take little steps first and always have a plan b... i like to know where the escape routes are and doors, i take water with me, i try to concentrate on what im doing not what MIGHT happen.
i know its easy for me to say but i can remember being so afraid and avoiding everything, just take one thing at a time it will get easier honest.
hope ive not rambled on to much
take care
rach

manmoor
02-07-07, 12:12
Hi Jewels,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

trac67
02-07-07, 14:58
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

Pink Princess
02-07-07, 16:13
hi and welcome to the site, you will find a lot of good advice and support here and make many friends along the way. hope to talk soon, take kare xxxxxx

Southern_Belle
02-07-07, 17:46
Hi Jewels,

Welcome to NMP. You will find many here who feel exactly like you do. You will also get tons of support. Have you tried CBT? Many here have found that has helped. I personally spoke to a psychotherapist for my fears and other issues. You will get help here. :)

Laura

Laura

nomorepanic
02-07-07, 19:08
Hi Jewels

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help and you meet some fab new friends along the way.

Take some time to read all you can on the website pages as well - I am sure that will be of some help.

belle
02-07-07, 19:09
Hi and welcome :)

x