PDA

View Full Version : Scary awakening! Felt like I couldn't breathe

UchuuKyoudai
26-01-18, 14:03
Hey there,

I am new to posting, but no new to the site. I had a scary episode last night, and really would appreciate some information/ stories/ opinions.

I am female, twenty-three years old, and lightly active (walk the dog every day). I am a little underweight, as I have been recovering from Anorexia, but am getting closer to what is deemed to be healthy for my height and frame (5'7, small frame).

Last night, I jolted awake feeling like I had stopped breathing, or could not breathe right. It felt surreal, and I was convinced my heart was not beating as I panicked about my breathing. I remember this happening once or twice before, with the last time I recall it happening being a few years ago. I calmed down after an hour or so, but it really frightened me.

I have had an ECG and other heart monitoring last year, and all was fine. My doctor was happy enough, so it reassured me.

But last night has now led me to believe I have sleep apnea which could bring on heart problems etc. I am worried now about falling to sleep. I am not a heavy-sleeper anyway, and usually I stay up into the early hours of the morning before getting up about six or seven hours later.

I should probably also mention that I do eat before bed (not a lot, but more than most), and it is something I am working on alongside my therapy for my eating disorder. I have read before that reflux can wake you up feeling the same, but I am unsure as I rarely have problems with eating before sleeping. But last night has concerned me.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Any help would be much appreciated!
Thank you!