PDA

View Full Version : My Story, and Discussion on Fainting and panic attacks

JoyofClimbing
01-07-07, 18:14
Well, I'd just like to say first that this is an amazing website! I'm going to tell you my story, then I'm going to ask a bunch of questions about anxiety and fainting and how/why they are related.

I am a male, and 17 years old.

I developed anxiety/panic dissorder back in February one night when I was sick. I suddenly had intrusive thoughts of me and everyone I know dying. It was really horrible, but I didn't think much of it. Suddenly, I felt worse than I had ever felt before. My heart had been beating fast and hard, I got up from bed and walked around the house. I found my mom in on the computer, and I suddenly felt different. My heart beat became very slow, and I felt very weird. I thought, "This is it, I'm dying." I started panicking, but my mom said I should put my head down (I started seeing sparkley things on my eyes). After a couple seconds (which seemed like LOT longer of course) I immediately felt better. My heart started pounding, but it was like an adrenaline rush.

My mom has fainted before, so she said it sounded like I came close to it. I had never experienced coming close to it before. Something wasn't right, I'd heard my mom tell me what it's like to faint, but this seemed different. It was a panic attack.

Over the next couple weeks I developed anxiety symptoms (but I didn't know what it was.) So, I went to the doctor to see if anything was really wrong. He had me get a blood test. Now, I've never been really bothered by needles, but this time was different. Getting the blood drawn, it suddenly started to hurt, I felt the same horrible feeling as before (heart getting very slow), only worse. I went blind from things on my vision, and it lasted for a much longer time (it probably felt much longer). But, the same as earlier, when it was over I felt better than before.

I don't know if I actually fainted that time, but it was definitly the worst feeling. I felt like I was almost dead. This has been the source of my anxiety and panic attacks to this day.

My recent panic attacks have had different flavours: Some are long, some are short, some feel like I'm going to faint (my heart slows down and I get that horrible feeling), some are just scary.

Now, here's what I want to talk about: Why do only a few people faint in a panic attack and most don't? Why do females faint and get anxiety more than males?
The only time I've come extremely close to fainting or fainted was getting that blood drawn. Blood doesn't bother me, and I haven't felt that bad before. So, was it just a really bad panic attack, or fainting? What's the difference between them? Is fainting a psycological thing like anxiety, and can it be beaten the same way?

I'd like to know if the people who do faint during panic attacks do also faint from other things. If so, why do some people faint more than others?

I'd like to discuss this with all of you, so that we might find answers to this thing that's so strange to me. I don't want to be someone who faints, and so far I've only found that panic attacks (at least that one time) and getting blood drawn have caused me to come close to fainting. Does anything else cause you to faint?

Anxiously awaiting answers :shrug:,
James

:hugs:

Lindalou64
01-07-07, 23:17
Hello James
Welcome,I can only speak for myself since we all have different symptoms,and we all deal with things different,I myself have had this for 18 yrs and never had fainted..felt as tho i would but never did...and I believe many men have this also but most men no offense dont like to admitt it they feel weak...I grew up with several males and they all had it but hid behind the alcohol as I did myself but didnt drink all the time but enough...and there was no way of hiding mine.the only advise i can give to you is get yourself some good books like claire weeks and try and stay positive and know these feeling wont harm you...i drove 40 miles today to go to a party and did have a anxiety attack on my way but i just rode it out and it subsided you will learn to let it ride even tho it does suck having them and it will pass if we freak and feed into them we feel worse which i have done many times believe me...I hope your not googling cause you will feel alot worse cause things on there exagerate (spelling) You will get better resource from people who have experienced it or are going thru it,so I wish you the best,You will get better, but you must work at it we can ask why every day but so can everyone else with other problems....so take care and work on you ok...........Linda

groovygranny
02-07-07, 00:10
Hello James :welcome:to you!

I've never actually fainted, I tend to get that tingly feeling you get when you're just going under a general anasthetic. As soon as I feel it I start to focus on something or a positive thought and it doesn't get any further.

Doesn't answer your questions I know, but just thought I'd give you my personal experience.

Pleased to meet you - you'll get plenty of help and support here!

:)

manmoor
02-07-07, 12:13
Hi James,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

trac67
02-07-07, 14:46
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xx

Pink Princess
02-07-07, 16:25
hi and welcome to the site, you will find a lot of good advice and support here and make many friends along the way. hope to talk soon, take kare xxxxxx

Southern_Belle
02-07-07, 18:01
Hi James,

Welcome to NMP. I've only fainted once and it wasn't during a panic attack. During my panic attacks my main problem was not being able to swallow or breathe but I've only had 2. My biggest problem is anxiety. I think for some of the answers to your questions you are asking for statistics which I personally can't provide sorry. You will get alot of support here.

Laura

nomorepanic
02-07-07, 19:04
Hi James and a warm welcome here.

I have never fainted with a panic/anxiety attack but I nearly passed out giving blood and they had to get me to put my head between my knees to stop me actually passing out. Very scarey.

Hope we can be of some help to you on here anyway.

Evan
24-07-15, 17:34
I know this was posted a long time ago, but it reminds me of an experience of mine at the same age. One evening I was reading an article in a magazine about someone having a heart attack. The person mentioned feeling pain in their chest. I started to feel a pressure weighing down on mine, and a strange sleepiness. I had never felt anything like this before, and wondered if I too was having a heart attack. Then I passed out. I knew nothing more until I woke up and my mother told me I had fainted. I can only imagine I had had a panic attack, and that this had caused me to faint.