PDA

View Full Version : Am I being crazy or do my worries have any merit? (rabies)

DiamondsAreForever
27-01-18, 20:24
Ever since the most recent past summer, I have had this insane fear of rabies. I have had my several worries since then, but recently the worrying has gotten overwhelming. A couple weeks ago, my girlfriend woke up this a massive scratch on her forehead, with no explanation. Essentially, we went to bed with her face perfectly normal and then we woke up with the massive scratch on her face. I have read a few articles online before about people waking up to bats in their houses and some of the bats have scratched them in their sleep before, but she swears that she woke up when she felt the scratch and there weren't any bats or anything. Now, a couple weeks later, she starts to develop flu like symptoms. We went to the doctor and they never did the flu test on her, but they prescribed her with tamiflu and shes been doing better ever since. She never had a fever or anything but she has been sick, and she says sometimes that she feels disoriented. So this little instance got me all worried up about rabies again for some reason cause in my head I'm thinking, this might not be the flu cause the initial onset symptoms of rabies include these minor flu-like symptoms. So this situation got me all messed up in the head again about rabies.

Now today, I was out playing basketball with a a bunch of my friends since it was sort of a nice day out today (around 50 degrees fahrenheit which is nice for the winter where I live). My nose was really stuffy and about 45 minutes into playing, I went to the side and picked up a few leaves and blew my nose into them. Immediately I'm thinking oh god, what if a rabid animals saliva was on one of those leaves and I just gave it direct access to my nose. I immediately regretted the decision. It was a relatively dry day out but I have no idea whether or not the leaves were dry and I have no evidence to prove there wasn't rabid animal saliva on it so my mind just keeps going through the "what ifs" situations that kill me on the inside. One would think on a relatively sunny day, any rabid animal saliva on that leaf would dry up within 45 since I've been there, right? But once again, the idea that I MIGHT be wrong kills me on the inside, and I really don't know how to deal with it which is sort of why I guess I am here. I have no evidence that there were even any animals in the area. I just know I live in a very woody area that has a lot of animals, I just didn't see any near us.

So basically, are my worries warranted? Or am I being a worry wart? I have fears over other diseases, but rabies is 100% the worst, knowing the implications of what happens to you when you contract rabies.

Thank you for reading my rant

Fishmanpa
27-01-18, 20:33
There are many rabies fear threads here. Do a search and you'll see that every one is as fantastical in nature as yours.

To answer your question. You cannot contract the disease that way. 0% chance. I repeat 0% chance!

Positive thoughts