PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Flu Season 2018

Megan99
28-01-18, 01:31
Flu season in the United states is at its worst this year! I am so terrified. Apparetly people are dying left and right from it and I didn't even get the flu shot! I am feeling fatigued and chilly right now kind of.....

NancyW
28-01-18, 01:38
Apparetly people are dying left and right from it

No they are not!

It's extremely survivable. I work 2 jobs, both with the public, I see hundreds of people a week, I know more people that have had it then have not, and NO ONE has had any serious issues.

Megan99
28-01-18, 01:50
Its just that the media is freaking me out! It's everywhere on the news these days! And so many young people are dying from it?

jules321
28-01-18, 01:50
I am terrified too. And I think my young child just came down with it.

MyNameIsTerry
28-01-18, 01:56
We've just been through ours and the media have been doing their usual fearmongering winter frenzy. It sells newspapers, it's a sale tactic.

All that is relevant is what your public health bodies say. The rest is speculation, bias and hyping up.

Yes, we've had the rare cases and yes some people do die. The nature of any disease like this is that it is a risk to "at risk" health groups. If you are not in one of those groups, you don't even need to think about vaccination and even those of us who are in those groups, like me for asthma, can still be healthy and get through it.

If I was in my eighties with heart & blood pressure issues, I would be more aware, but at 42 in average health being in an at risk group is les of an issue.

If you are healthy in general, a flu can just be a pain in the bum. If you have more serious respiratory disease of some kind then it's something you keep an eye on and head for early intervention with a GP if needed.

Our hospitals are always under pressure, they are underfunded and it's a public health system so it's a political football for whichever party is in opposition to kick at the government of the time. So, be careful with any British media about the UK and our hospitals. They get hit every year because our population is getting higher in % of older people so no matter how prepared they are they get caught with overcrowding issues.

Healthanxietysuffere
28-01-18, 02:01
My 2 kids (8 a nd 10) and I have all had it. We came through with no issues. My 8 year old did need some steroids for a tight airway, but that's pretty typical for her with respiratory stuff. Fevers got pretty high, but we are all ok now.

cez
28-01-18, 02:07
the people that die are typically immunocompromised, old, or infants. the best you can do is wash your hands often, take vitamin c drops, and wear a mask if you are very concerned in tight public spaces like public transport!

MyNameIsTerry
28-01-18, 02:11
the people that die are typically immunocompromised, old, or infants. the best you can do is wash your hands often, take vitamin c drops, and wear a mask if you are very concerned in tight public spaces like public transport!

As an asthma sufferer I've needed antibiotics for any chest/throat infections all my life. I've had steroids plenty if times too in my younger days. Since spreading doses of vitamin C across the day, and increasing it during times of illness, I've not needed any medication for the last couple of years and this has been a first for me.

I'm not saying take meds, let your GP make that call for you, but vitamin /C dosing has really helped me. But you do have to spread it out and not take the large doses in one since the body can't handle it and it just comes out the other end. Vitamin C therapies are all based on mega dosing but also keeping blood plasma levels up by spreading doses. A way around it is also sustained release but they cost a bit more.

(I haven't mega dosed, I just double up my dose and it has worked for me so far in reducing infections as well as getting rid of them but it does take longer than antibiotics I've found so things linger longer)

au Lait
28-01-18, 02:31
What’s happening now is the same media fueled hysteria we’ve been through with the swine flu a few years back. The media over hypes and sensationalizes everything. That’s how they get viewers and make money.

A lot of people I know have had it this year and all have survived. Simply use basic precautions and you will be fine. Get the vaccine if you haven’t already. And if you do get sick, get lots of rest and fluids until it passes.

MyNameIsTerry
28-01-18, 02:50
What’s happening now is the same media fueled hysteria we’ve been through with the swine flu a few years back. The media over hypes and sensationalizes everything. That’s how they get viewers and make money.

A lot of people I know have had it this year and all have survived. Simply use basic precautions and you will be fine. Get the vaccine if you haven’t already. And if you do get sick, get lots of rest and fluids until it passes.

Yes, the same here. We had bird flu, swine flu and now this.

The media love anything that gives maximum value to them and that is sensationalism. Papers that say nothing has happened today, someone had a bit of a cold but is now feeling better or litter found in street just don't compare to the end is nigh stuff.

jules321
28-01-18, 03:15
You all are talking me down, thank you. I can't believe my child possibly has it - one of my big triggers. Ugh.

NancyW
28-01-18, 04:04
The media love anything that gives maximum value to them and that is sensationalism. Papers that say nothing has happened today, someone had a bit of a cold but is now feeling better or litter found in street just don't compare to the end is nigh stuff.

Amen! I hate the news/media. Two weeks ago we had a winter storm looming. For 7 days they went on and on, 16" of snow. Made me a nervous wreck for days because whole family is on the road for work. It was on tv, radio, facebook and everyone was freaking out. I had to cut myself off of it all.

We got about 6" total.

That's a prime example of our lovely news/media serving the public.

They are doing the same damn thing with the flu.
:mad:

worrywart29
28-01-18, 04:28
I feel like since more people are beginning to decline getting the flu shot, the media is making it look worse in order to scare people into getting it.

MyNameIsTerry
28-01-18, 04:57
Amen! I hate the news/media. Two weeks ago we had a winter storm looming. For 7 days they went on and on, 16" of snow. Made me a nervous wreck for days because whole family is on the road for work. It was on tv, radio, facebook and everyone was freaking out. I had to cut myself off of it all.

We got about 6" total.

That's a prime example of our lovely news/media serving the public.

They are doing the same damn thing with the flu.
:mad:

Yeah, we get all that too. Coldest day since the Ice Age (probably meant the movie :winks:) or down to x temperature which is probably at the top of some mountain or in a remote farmers field on a hill or in a hollow!

Either everything has become a lot more extreme in this world or the factor is the media screeching about everything.

They talk now about fake news but it's been like that by way of their embellishments for many years now from I can see.

It's night & day between our local newspaper and the nationals. The local takes a more moderate approach to everything.

The Daily Mail has made much of it's recent reputation from flogging health scare stories as well as other mad stuff and it's worked as they are the biggest going over here.

When my GAD was much worse all the civil unrest stuff or terrorism used to be triggering. I got out of that through exposure but I still find it hard to read a out animal abuse.

tryingtosurvive1
28-01-18, 05:31
I've definitely had something for the several days. I keep getting bored and relapsing a bit. I need to rest all of tomorrow.

Since I don't think I have The Flu, I do plan to get a flu shot to avoid it. It's worth it to reduce the risks for the old and immune-compromised as well as make one's own prospects better.

Then--no googling! I will have done what I can within reason.

cofo
28-01-18, 14:58
I am living in fear of the flu too. We did get shots but that's not too effective this year. I have a mild immune disorder which terrifies me. My son is In High school where germs are abundant! Is it starting to decline yet? It's freaking me out so much.

jules321
28-01-18, 17:48
I read something from the CDC that said it looks like it may have peaked in the Western USA. It was buried in an article saying it hadn't peaked elsewhere in the states.

Librella
28-01-18, 19:23
I agree, it's got me nervous too! I have a friend who got the shot and still got sick. However she felt better after about 5 days and she didn't have to go to the hospital or anything so I guess that's a little comforting. I'd still rather not have it, but the media is definitely highlighting the serious cases too much.

cofo
28-01-18, 23:53
I guess I just feel like "what if I wait too long if something isn't right? What if I stop breathing in the middle of the night? If you feel like crap when you have it, how will you know when to get care for more serious infections?" Also having trouble breathing? What does that even feel like? Isn't it too late if you already can't breathe?

NervUs
29-01-18, 00:18
I guess I just feel like "what if I wait too long if something isn't right? What if I stop breathing in the middle of the night? If you feel like crap when you have it, how will you know when to get care for more serious infections?" Also having trouble breathing? What does that even feel like? Isn't it too late if you already can't breathe?

No, it's not too late. NOt being able to breathe well at the same time you have flu probably means you have pneumonia. Pneumonia can be treated and is survivable, although a small portion will die. I had a severe asthma attack once and, all I can say is, if you can't breathe, you will know it. Same for stabbing pains in the chest. Or blood in your sputum.

I mean, the fatal cases of the flu have a variety of causes (mostly sepsis or cyktoine storm). The causes are severe, but they are all survivable. Not everyone will survive complications, of course, but some will. The thing is, a person going through it can't know in advance which category applies, so acceptance and taking it as it comes is all you can do. Worrying about it in advance is certainly not going to make a difference.

IDK. I know its hard, but if you are lucid, can be woken easily, have expected levels of pain and discomfort, are not gasping for breath, and have good respiration rate, and see small improvement each day, I think you are safe to assume you are just riding it out normally.

scaredpt
15-02-18, 20:48
How is everyone holding up in the flu season? I’ve been paranoid, I already got the flu once and am terrified of getting it again. Every persons cough seems like a huge threat to me

swgrl09
18-02-18, 14:42
I'm quite nervous, mainly because I am pregnant. Normally I just get my flu shot and don't really think about it (oddly considering I have HA). But being pregnant makes me extra nervous. I am just trying to be smart, wash my hands, stay away from people I know are sick.

Carys
18-02-18, 16:36
Hey, here's the good news guys. Although peak of flu season is Jan and Feb (and can last right to May), recent stats show that in the US it is already levelling off.

katielovespizza
19-02-18, 04:20
@swgrl09, I'm also nervous because of being pregnant. But as Carys said, it does seem to be leveling off so hopefully we'll be out of flu season very soon! It's warming up a lot here already. I'm so looking forward to spring.

swgrl09
19-02-18, 13:00
@swgrl09, I'm also nervous because of being pregnant. But as Carys said, it does seem to be leveling off so hopefully we'll be out of flu season very soon! It's warming up a lot here already. I'm so looking forward to spring.

Same here! The weather is so bizarre. We just had a snowstorm yesterday and tomorrow it is going to be almost 70 degrees. Go figure!

scaredpt
19-02-18, 15:42
I love that you all have been looking at the flu stats too...I think in a few weeks it'll be lowering. It's especially hard for me because I live in a major city and use public transport. Jealous of everyone who can drive around.

Carys
19-02-18, 15:45
Ohhh nooooooo, I've not looked at flu stats LOL I just read a report on a mainstream news site in the health section.

If you were driving in my car you'd wish you were on public transport, there's a lot of mouldy chocolate and crisps in the side pockets. :winks:

scaredpt
19-02-18, 16:45
just so stressful, whenever I feel a bit tired i think its the flu coming again. i think I have some trauma.

Carys
19-02-18, 16:48
i think I have some trauma

Ey what?

It was 5 days of flu, that's all !

scaredpt
19-02-18, 16:56
Yeah but I really don’t want to get it again. And feel it’s my luck that I will.

NervUs
19-02-18, 16:57
Ey what?

It was 5 days of flu, that's all !

I have a little trauma, lol. I got the flu in early Jan. It was complete misery, like 8 days until I could get out of bed, a lot of pain all over, my head stuffed to my eyeballs with congestion, exhaustion beyond exhaustion, all 3 of my kids and my husband had it at the same time, and so I wasn't able to just lay down, sleep, and rest, but I had to put up with kid nonsense, like arguing about which movies to watch, constant demands for water, ice cream, food, and my 4 year old moving constantly, rolling all over me, digging at my belly button (that is her comfort, for some insane and unknowable reason, so I had to let her do it or fight her off). I mean, it was agony, and I actually cried tears at times because I wanted them to go away SO BAD. And it was like 15 days before I was actually better.

I stayed level headed through the whole thing, not worried about death and stuff, but the horror if it is seared in my brain ha!. My son spiked a 102 fever yesterday, and I was flipping out because I DO NOT want to go through all that again, with all of us getting a flu that wipes us out for 2 weeks for a second time, no way!!! It's a whole other ball game getting that sick when you have kids. OMG!

Carys
19-02-18, 17:04
OK you are allowed a little trauma - fair enough, that sounds miserable. I had flu like that too over Xmas, but minus the pesky demanding young children. The exhaustion is unbelieveable isn't it, its like you crawl to the toilet and back and need a sleep. Scaredpt was on her own and only had it for 5 days, as was out at a restaurant eating after that.

swgrl09
20-02-18, 02:35
I had it for 7 days maybe 6 years ago now .... it was utter misery! But I did get better. The worst for me was the body pain and fever.

MyNameIsTerry
20-02-18, 02:59
I had it for 7 days maybe 6 years ago now .... it was utter misery! But I did get better. The worst for me was the body pain and fever.

Soon you'll be a mum and want have luxuries like rest* for about another...16 years or if a boy probably more likely 30 years :winks: You will be too busy running the house, going to work, managing everyone else and then maybe having 5 minutes before it's off to bed to start it all over again! :biggrin:

* Dad's are exempt due to a specific "man flu" clause inserted in all birth certificates :whistles::yesyes:

swgrl09
20-02-18, 15:48
Soon you'll be a mum and want have luxuries like rest* for about another...16 years or if a boy probably more likely 30 years :winks: You will be too busy running the house, going to work, managing everyone else and then maybe having 5 minutes before it's off to bed to start it all over again! :biggrin:

* Dad's are exempt due to a specific "man flu" clause inserted in all birth certificates :whistles::yesyes:

Haha thanks for the reminder :roflmao: I know, I am trying to savor the last two weeks before that becomes my life!! Luckily not a boy, but I know plenty of 30 year old women who could use a kick up the butt too. :doh:

budgie1979
20-02-18, 16:25
Ohhh nooooooo, I've not looked at flu stats LOL I just read a report on a mainstream news site in the health section.

If you were driving in my car you'd wish you were on public transport, there's a lot of mouldy chocolate and crisps in the side pockets. :winks:

I will admit to looking at the flu reports. I go straight to the CDC website and read the reports there. I find it less alarmist than the media's interpretation. Reading the reports doesn't really trigger me. What does trigger me is people showing up to work sick, like happened in my office last week. I will never understand why, when the company gives us unlimited sick time and everyone can work remotely, people feel the need to show up unwell. :mad: The offender's son was off school all the previous week with the flu and even ended up at the ER one day, but of course when this guy comes down with a fever he just doses himself with acetaminophen and rolls into work...

Halle0587
21-02-18, 14:09
What’s bad is the people sharing news about it. You can keep the news off to avoid the hype and take precautions, get plenty of sleep, eat right, wash your hands and don’t touch your face. Do your best to stay away from people you know are sick, etc.
Well my neighbors brought their son to play with mine yesterday and they told us a man in “perfect health” at the entrance to our neighborhood passed from the flu. I started having trouble breathing right then!
They left and I threw all my kids toys in the dishwasher on sanitize for three hours. I wiped every surface down with Clorox wipes. I took Zicam and so did my husband. I switched out the side items for my sons dinner to give him beets and pineapple for better vitamins. ����*♀️
I’m terrified to get the flu. I stay home with my son so if he gets it I’ll be up frequently worried about him, then once I’m tired it will attack me and I won’t be able to get as much rest needing to take care of him all day. So of course I imagine the worst.
I did a CBT worksheet to try and help, one of the questions was if the worst happens (I get the flu) what will I do? I talked with my husband and he said he would call off work to take care of our son so I could heal. Then if he got it he would have to take off again so he didn’t share the germs with everyone at his job. Thankfully he works for a great company who would allow him to do his best from home. So making some kind of plan does help ease anxiety about it just in case.
My plan is also to keep lots of fluids on hand, soups, water, Gatorade, etc. and get to the doctor ASAP to get medicine if I get it.
We can support each other through this, it’s scary, it’s okay to be scared, don’t let anyone tell you it’s not okay. Let’s just work to not let it consume us, with any luck we’re almost finished with flu season and hopefully this year the vaccine is better than last year’s 10%.
Leaving you on a positive note: My 8 year old niece had flu B for two weeks, then got flu A for another week. She lost a lot of weight, but she was bouncing around on the cheer mat last weekend in a competition. I’m clinging to the fact that if she can do it so can we. Her mom got her to the doctor quickly, so maybe that is the key here.

nicole97
21-02-18, 17:41
I'm scared to death of my children getting the flu. My youngest (age 11) seems to becoming out of the stomach flu right now, worried it's going to make her more susceptible to regular flu. She ended up at the ER and they gave her IV fluids because she wasn't keeping anything down at that point and then zofran for nausea, which really didn't help. She ran a low grade fever for 4 days. She still seems pretty off. Not throwing up anymore, but not eating much either and I'm so worried something will happen to her or any of us really. I know I'm going to keep on the edge of my seat until spring has completely set in.