PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Dan G
02-07-07, 10:30
Hi all, I hope this is posted in the right place.

My girlfriend and I have been together for just over 2 years. She was suffering form panic attacks before we started going out but she got progressivley worse for the first year or so of our relationship. We decided to move in together after about 9 months.
At its worst she could barely leave the bedroom and it was very hard for her when i was at work. We worked hard at it and she started slowly getting better. We would work at things together setting goals etc and she is seeing a behavioral psychologist.

About 6 months ago she was a lot better and now has a full time job and pretty much leads a normal life.
Then yesterday we were just talking and out of the blue she said she was thinking of moving out. Maybe for 6 months or so.

Its not to do with problems in out relationship but she says she needs to know that she can cope with everyday life without having to rely on me.

I can understand the need to know for sure that she is better. However it seemed to me that even if she did move out I would still be there for her. Before she moved in when she would really be struggling I would go over and see her no matter what time of day or night it was. And she also has friends and family who would also drop everything if she needed them.
Things then took a turn for the horrible and she said maybe we needed to break up so she would know for sure.

I asked her what it was that needed to happen before she would feel confident that she could cope by herself but she couldnt really explain it.

I tried to talk her out of it. I tried relating it to not knowing how you would cope if someone died or someone cheated on the other person and that these were things that come with being in a relationship. Trust issues i suppose and the fact you are making yourself vulnerable by putting your happiness in the hands of someone else. I was saying that there are always things you cant know until they happen for real.

I think she understood what i was saying but it didnt change her mind.

I love her very very much and I;m desperate not to lose her. Can anyone offer any advice in this situation? Is it wrong to want to keep her with me?

bluesparkle
02-07-07, 11:12
hi
i dont really have any advice for you but i just wanted to say i think you are a very special person ... you have supported you girlfriend through this and to be honest not all partners are that understanding.
i really feel for you after reading this as it must be awful for you.
i really think you have no choice but to let her go... she obviously wants to have a go at life on her own for now... i know that from past experiance trying to convince her to stay will push her in the other direction. hopefully once she has had some time and space she will realise that she wants to be with you. i dont think she is trying to hurt you in anyway... this panic/anxiety thing is awful and it does strange things to our thoughts.
i am sorry this is not much help but there will be other people along to reply ... hang on in there and stick with nmp as you will get loads of advice here and make some good friends.
take care
rach

mystics
02-07-07, 11:15
Hi Dan,
Welcome to NMP i'm sure you will find lots of people here who will offer great advice and support.

Firstly this is difficult to explain as a sufferer going through a particularly hard time at the moment, and i apologise in advance if this sounds harsh or patronizing this is not what i mean in any way.

I can see both sides of your situation, I think maybe your girlfriend needs to know that she is "better" on her own and not just because of your strength and support,I dont mean "just" because your support to her through the time you have been together has brought her to the place in her life where she is now.

I can also see by coming here and posting that you do love her deeply and are perhaps anxious yourself that your girlfriend will have a "set back", and you rightfully want to protect her from any further stress.

Hope this has helped a little and I'm sure some of the fantastic wise good people of the forum will be able to help and advise somemore.

Sending you and your girlfriend :hugs:
Brightest Blessings
Mystics