PDA

View Full Version : Smear fear

Kitty123
28-01-18, 13:19
Hi
I am in a total panic. I'm overdue my smear by 10 years. I have it booked for Tuesday and I'm just in a complete panic that I'm dying :(

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

nomorepanic
28-01-18, 13:28
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

nomorepanic
28-01-18, 13:30
Why would you think that?

Kitty123
28-01-18, 13:36
Why would you think that?Because I panic at any health worry. I have no symptoms but I have been googling and it's grown bigger and bigger in my head. I'm not even scared of the test. I can't wait to get it over and done with. I'm terrified they will say I have cancer:(

nomorepanic
28-01-18, 13:38
Well it is highly unlikely really if you have no symptoms.

You are just winding yourself up and imagining the worst.

O_O
28-01-18, 14:04
It's unlikely you have cervical cancer. Just because you haven't been tested for it doesn't mean you have it. Think of all the other cancers and diseases you haven't been tested for. There are hundreds of them, and just because you haven't been tested doesn't mean you have them!

That said, of course it's best to attend your regular cervical screenings, and any other screenings you get invited for. If there is a simple and painless way to check for a cancer, pre-cancer or other disease then go for it.

You'll probably be fine. Cervical cancer is slow growing and it can take a decade to progress from CIN to cancer anyway. Best to get checked and then if you do have any pre-cancerous changes they can be easily treated.

Bubbletrump
28-01-18, 20:14
You are googling unnecessarily and worrying yourself. It is highly, highly unlikely that you've got cervical cancer. Stop googling and try to think positive thoughts. Get your test done and then you can put this worry to bed. Let us know how you get on.

WiseMonkey
28-01-18, 21:30
It's unlikely you have cervical cancer. Just because you haven't been tested for it doesn't mean you have it. Think of all the other cancers and diseases you haven't been tested for. There are hundreds of them, and just because you haven't been tested doesn't mean you have them!

That said, of course it's best to attend your regular cervical screenings, and any other screenings you get invited for. If there is a simple and painless way to check for a cancer, pre-cancer or other disease then go for it.

You'll probably be fine. Cervical cancer is slow growing and it can take a decade to progress from CIN to cancer anyway. Best to get checked and then if you do have any pre-cancerous changes they can be easily treated.

Hi O_O
I love the very realistic, sensible advice you give others but can you apply it to yourself?

O_O
28-01-18, 21:39
Hi O_O
I love the very realistic, sensible advice you give others but can you apply it to yourself?

Haha, I know, but I have dodgy symptoms...

WiseMonkey
29-01-18, 04:41
Haha, I know, but I have dodgy symptoms...

Hmm... the dodgy bending over you've done to see various parts of your anatomy could have strained and flared up you're pelvic region!
After having a miscarriage, I'd imagine you'd have to take things quietly for a
while :)

---------- Post added at 04:41 ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 ----------

You are googling unnecessarily and worrying yourself. It is highly, highly unlikely that you've got cervical cancer. Stop googling and try to think positive thoughts. Get your test done and then you can put this worry to bed. Let us know how you get on.

Yes, I agree and next time get it done every 1-3 years.

The new HPV (Human papillomavirus) test is replacing the pap smear so the length of time may be longer. In some countries only gynecologists are using this test. Some strains of HPV can be a forerunner to precancerous changes.

Malibustace
29-01-18, 13:39
I'm trying to get the guts up to book mine, haven't had one for 4 years, but I'm telling myself that as I've had no symptoms, that I'm fine. Good luck with yours x

Kitty123
29-01-18, 13:55
Thank you everyone. Really just want it over and done with now x