PDA

View Full Version : Getting Back In To Social Situations.

Bigboyuk
28-01-18, 15:13
How Hard is this (especially when I have been isolated for years now)? I want to do this as I believe it will help my depression and loneliness any tips would be welcomed :) TIA ATB

Bigboyuk
29-01-18, 13:53
And coupled with that I am meeting some one off here so it's bit nerve racking but on the other hand looking forward to it too just need some tips to help it go smoothly folks TIA :) ATB

Catherine S
29-01-18, 20:18
As with every situation Dave, the first time is always the worst time and its definitely a start Dave, I hope it goes well.

Cath ☺

Bigboyuk
29-01-18, 20:33
As with every situation Dave, the first time is always the worst time and its definitely a start Dave, I hope it goes well.

Cath ☺ Yes it is and it's been so long! But I am fighter so know I will get through this is one piece Thank you Cath :) ATB

Catherine S
29-01-18, 21:06
Just to add that if you're meeting up with somebody from the forum, remember that they'll be really nervous too. It's not easy though is it. I've done so much moving around over the last 10 years between Germany and the UK, and also around England with my husband's jobs that making friends was really hard. Even if we have a partner to live with, friends are important.

Chins up, you'll get there on sheer determination alone matey..x

Bigboyuk
29-01-18, 21:16
Just to add that if you're meeting up with somebody from the forum, remember that they'll be really nervous too. It's not easy though is it. I've done so much moving around over the last 10 years between Germany and the UK, and also around England with my husband's jobs that making friends was really hard. Even if we have a partner to live with, friends are important.

Chins up, you'll get there on sheer determination alone matey..x So true Cath and again so greatful for feed back too:yesyes: ATB

Carys
29-01-18, 21:39
I don't really have any 'tips', sorry I've not been in this situation...but I just wanted to pop by and encourage you really. You are absolutely right it WILL help your depression and loneliness and you sound very courageous about it all, so I think you will do just fine. One thing probably applies to most 'new' things that you reach out to do, it gets easier and easier over time. So, even if the first time feels more tricky than you thought, the second, third and following times will bit by bit improve.

Bigboyuk
29-01-18, 23:10
I don't really have any 'tips', sorry I've not been in this situation...but I just wanted to pop by and encourage you really. You are absolutely right it WILL help your depression and loneliness and you sound very courageous about it all, so I think you will do just fine. One thing probably applies to most 'new' things that you reach out to do, it gets easier and easier over time. So, even if the first time feels more tricky than you thought, the second, third and following times will bit by bit improve. That's fine any input is good :) Yes I know it will help enormously too other wise I wouldn't be doing this but I am coming out of hermit shell and ready to rock:yesyes: Thank you ATB

mezzaninedoor
30-01-18, 05:03
Just remember if there is any awkwardness, they are probably feeling exactly the same. good luck and well done for being brave

Bigboyuk
30-01-18, 10:57
Just remember if there is any awkwardness, they are probably feeling exactly the same. good luck and well done for being brave Yes I keep telling my self it will be fine :) And thank you I have waited long enough for this opportunity life is too short as it is ATB

mezzaninedoor
01-02-18, 08:17
Good Luck.
One thing I would say is try and look beyond your social anxiety, I had to attend a conference this week and I was shocked at how hard I was finding it in striking up new conversations. It wasn't until the afternoon that I overcome my social anxiety to some degree and made progress with that.