PDA

View Full Version : Can this really be anxiety?

Missb89
29-01-18, 01:05
For almost two months my right foot jerks a little down or to the side a couple of times a minute. Sometimes I don’t see it move at all but I still feel the thump inside. It’s driving me absolutely insane. A month ago the doctor checked my minerals and electrolytes, all normal. Said he didn’t know why it was happening, but wasn’t worried it was anything serious. I don’t feel like it can be just anxiety after two months and it happens when I’m not anxious too.

Also, am I able to edit the title of this post?

au Lait
29-01-18, 01:37
Yes, anxiety and stress can make you twitch. The physical effects of anxiety take a big toll on the body. And those effects can last even when you’re not actively feeling anxious or having a panic attack. Similar to how people can continue to experience physical stress symptoms long after a traumatic event.

For those of us with chronic anxiety, our bodies are continually in trauma mode, because our brains are constantly telling us that something traumatic is about to happen or has happened. All those stress hormones we produce don’t dissipate after we stop feeling anxious. They linger in the body for a long time and cause all kinds of weird, seemingly random side effects.

Missb89
29-01-18, 01:49
I think it’s more than a twitch when it moves my entire foot. I get small body wide twitches, but had never had anything that moved an entire body part.

au Lait
29-01-18, 02:02
I use twitches as a blanket term that includes spasms and body jerks as well. I should have been more clear, sorry about that. All of those things, any kind of jerking or spasm or weird skin crawling sensation and the like, can be caused by anxiety. Many anxiety sufferers have the exact same experience you described.

Missb89
29-01-18, 02:06
Thanks, but do they have it in the same spot (my right foot) continuously? Mine worries me so much because it’s my right foot over and over.

au Lait
29-01-18, 02:13
Yes, when it happens to me it’s always on the left side of my mouth, usually my upper lip for some reason. From what I’ve heard it’s pretty common for one muscle or muscle group to be affected repeatedly.

Missb89
29-01-18, 05:44
I just want it to stop.

Missb89
13-02-18, 02:08
I just can’t believe that after two months my right ankle/last two toes twitch and jerk and that it isn’t something terribly serious but I’m afraid to ask to go to the neurologists and I’m so afraid of the tests I just know I’m going to have ***.

katydid
13-02-18, 03:28
Restless legs....need more dopamine...Mirapex

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

Stop obsessing over silly things

BazB44
13-02-18, 04:22
Restless Leg Syndrome only happens at night i believe? Im curious about this skin crawling stuff? People say it feels like ants. Really? For me it really feels like a crawling sensation. Like something crawling around

Missb89
13-02-18, 05:05
I don’t think restless legs happens during the day and causes limb jerking, moreso the strong urge to move. I don’t think I have rls.

Missb89
19-02-18, 17:59
It’s been over two months and I’m losing it. My ankle jerks down, up, to the side, my toes twitch. IF this was anxiety it wouldn’t just be in my right foot and it would’ve stopped by now. I’m losing sleep and feeling nauseous because I’m so nervous. All I can focus on is my damn foot even when I’m supposed to be working or spending time with my daughter. I’m so scared.

ServerError
19-02-18, 18:59
I have restless leg syndrome. It can affect me at any time of the day or night.

None of us here can tell you what's going on, but twitching is insanely common and rarely a sign of anything sinister. Go back to the doctor if you feel you need to.

Missb89
19-02-18, 20:21
I have restless leg syndrome. It can affect me at any time of the day or night.

None of us here can tell you what's going on, but twitching is insanely common and rarely a sign of anything sinister. Go back to the doctor if you feel you need to.

I could ignore just the twitching, but when my entire ankle moves into plantar or dorsiflexion I feel like that’s more like myoclonus and that feels even more serious. I’ve been dealing with body wide twitches for years ever since benzo withdrawal, but not these myoclonic jerks during the day. I am seeing my doctor next Thursday.

Missb89
01-03-18, 23:30
I woke up Monday with extreme vertigo and saw the doctor who said between the vertigo, my finger tremors, and my foot jerking that he wants an MRI of my brain to rule out MS. Hospital can’t get me in for 3 weeks.

BazB44
02-03-18, 00:27
my mom and grandma have restless leg syndrome, and I have felt the classic RLS symptom of needing to move the legs at night many times....so ill probably get it someday. My mom says she can get symptoms during the day, plus twitches, crawling feelings. I cant keep my legs still ever, I twitch all over, I get crawly sensations during day or night.

myoclonus can be seen in healthy adults with bad anxiety from my understanding. I do get jerks, as in, ill be sitting and suddenly bam. Or using a mouse at a computer and my hand will just jerk.

I think the medical word might be a myokymia? Myokymia is generally the eyes or fingers, but can be anywhere really. If not, then ya its myoclonus....which again can be seen in healthy adults. Excess adrenaline, nerves firing off wrong signals.

Missb89
02-03-18, 00:36
I’m trying to be hopeful because I feel that the jerks have lessened in severity over the last week.

However my nerves got the best of me again after I told the doctor that I did not want him ordering tests simply to reassure me due to my health anxiety and he said no that at this point with the extra symptoms he couldn’t in his good conscience not get a scan of my brain. So then of course this makes me believe that he truly thinks there something more going on, And he specifically said he wanted to rule out MS.