PDA

View Full Version : coming off effexor ina week?

bethyboo
02-07-07, 13:45
ok i have been to the doctors as have been been very anxious and depreesed recently. i am currently on effexor.75 mg a day and have been for 2 years. previous to this i have been on seroxat and effexor over the last 8 years on and off. My doctor thinks my effexor is not working anymore (which i agree to) and that i have to stop as from today, go cold turkey for a whole week and then start my new drug cymbalta (duloxatine) next week. I am so scared, i feel bad enough as it is and i know that weanig myself off effexor slowly was agony but completely stopping may send me over the edge!!! Ive never heard fo this drug before and it is apparently a new drug?? has anyone got any advice to make this next week easier for me or any information on this new drug!!! i ahve 2 young children and am very scared

jo61
02-07-07, 15:56
In my opinion the instruction to go cold turkey is a very strange one. Effexor is a notoriously difficult drug to come off. I got from 150 mg to 37.5 mg over about 4 months. I've now managed to get to 37.5 every second day and when I come off itcompletely I struggle again. My doctor has told me to take this tiny dose every second day for the summer and then wean off the rest of the way. In her words 'it's not a race'. If I were you I'd go back to the doctor, or even a different one and talk it through again.
:hugs:

nomorepanic
02-07-07, 19:52
I wouldn't go cold turkey off any meds - I have to disagree with what he is saying.

Use the search facility on here to find posts about cymbalta

Jimbo
03-07-07, 12:54
The only reason I can think he suggested this is because you are on a fairly low dose, I think the smallest tablet they do is 37.5mgs and if you are starting a new AD soon it will probably ease some of the withdrawal when you start it.

You may well feel fine stopping from that dose, it depends on each individual person so it's hard to say.

Let us know how you get on, good luck,

Jim :hugs: