PDA

View Full Version : Message For People Starting Multiple Threads

Elen
30-01-18, 08:02
Can posters, especially those who are posting a lot about a variety of fears please confine their posts to one thread, and likewise if you are posting about the same fear it is helpful if it is contained on the one thread.

This helps others to build up a clear picture of what is happening and makes it easier to offer suitable advice.

You may not see the pattern but usually it is there, especially if you are posting frequently about different things.

Due to technical problems it is proving difficult to merge posts so for the moment any posts that we feel should be on a previous thread will be closed, allowing you the opportunity to re-post on your existing thread.

Your co-operation with this would be greatly appreciated.

Elen

Elen
31-01-18, 07:27
Bump

jojo2316
31-01-18, 20:57
How can the threads be appropriately titled though, if they contain worries about very different things? I know many people - me included - click on the titles we can most relate to...

axolotl
31-01-18, 21:04
How can the threads be appropriately titled though, if they contain worries about very different things? I know many people - me included - click on the titles we can most relate to...

Because every post, whatever the "symptom", is about health anxiety. If someone's jumped from (say) rashes to headaches to phantom smells to aches to lymphoma fear to whatever next... then new posters engaging in good faith with the new post about the new"symptom", without knowing the poster's history, will be doing that person a disservice without knowing it.

pulisa
31-01-18, 21:11
Because every post, whatever the "symptom", is about health anxiety. If someone's jumped from (say) rashes to headaches to phantom smells to aches to lymphoma fear to whatever next... then new posters engaging in good faith with the new post about the new"symptom", without knowing the poster's history, will be doing that person a disservice without knowing it.

Absolutely. Hopefully this approach will challenge HA and discourage serial reassurance -seeking .

Carys
31-01-18, 21:16
Also, when you reply, you can change the title of your individual post.....as I have done here....above...

jojo2316
31-01-18, 21:36
I still don't quite get it. So I start a thread about ALS, but the next day I am worried about pancreatic cancer (as I do!), should I write about my pancreatic cancer "symptoms" under a post entitled "terrified I have bulbar onset ALS"?
Surely that is just really confusing!

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

Also, when you reply, you can change the title of your individual post.....as I have done here....above...

Oh..... Mmmmmm

nomorepanic
01-02-18, 00:31
jojo - that is not what we mean.

We mean threads that are giving an update on an ongoing issue or similar.

We get a lot of posts saying "following on from my thread last week ....." or "just an update on ................."

That sort of thing.

Elen
01-02-18, 05:59
But also if you are jumping from ALS to lymph nodes to pancreatic cancer fears then answering each topic is pointless because they are all symptoms of your HA.

axolotl
01-02-18, 07:27
I still don't quite get it. So I start a thread about ALS, but the next day I am worried about pancreatic cancer (as I do!), should I write about my pancreatic cancer "symptoms" under a post entitled "terrified I have bulbar onset ALS"?
Surely that is just really confusing!

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

The forum's not made to be a medical forum where people give medical advice, it's to give people the best advice for their anxiety. If you're posting about ALS one day and pancreatic cancer the next your posts aren't really about ALS or pancreatic cancer as the only thing you're really showing symptoms of is hopping between arbitrary fears due to HA!

Carys
01-02-18, 09:28
The forum's not made to be a medical forum where people give medical advice, it's to give people the best advice for their anxiety. If you're posting about ALS one day and pancreatic cancer the next your posts aren't really about ALS or pancreatic cancer as the only thing you're really showing symptoms of is hopping between arbitrary fears due to HA!

I think that gets to the crux of the issue.

Needing to 'see' if a post is about breast cancer, a stroke, a rare leg chomping parasite or ALS isn't the point. The point is that all the posts are the result of the same mental health problem, therefore, the same responses from other users will apply to any serious health fear.

Gary A
01-02-18, 10:05
Certain people seem to get annoyed when their posts are merged or moved, I’ve never really understood that. The forum must be virtually unmanageable at times with the sheer volume of new threads, and it’s often people who have an active thread elsewhere that are posting them.

I think it makes perfect sense to merge threads. I can only surmise that people would be against it because they don’t really want to talk about their real issue, which of course is anxiety. Rather, they want to discuss their imaginary illness of choice.

I think this is a great idea, and it’s one that really shouldn’t be too difficult to implement by the various members here.

Carys
01-02-18, 10:14
Yes! I think because they totally believe they have ALS, or cancer or whatever, they think its a new issue and needs people looking at all their symptoms individually to assess if it is ALS or cancer.

swajj
01-02-18, 10:34
I agree. I find it really annoying when I respond with advice on a thread only to find when that thread gets merged with other threads by the same OP that the same advice has already been given on the previous threads. People who want to discuss symptoms should be posting in the symptoms section. But they probably do the same thing there anyway.

Fishmanpa
01-02-18, 23:23
BUMP...

Can posters, especially those who are posting a lot about a variety of fears please confine their posts to one thread.

This helps others to build up a clear picture of what is happening and makes it easier to offer suitable advice.

You may not see the pattern but usually it is there, especially if you are posting frequently about different things.

Due to technical problems it is proving difficult to merge posts so for the moment any posts that we feel should be on a previous thread will be closed, allowing you the opportunity to re-post on your existing thread.

Elen

MyNameIsTerry
02-02-18, 17:30
It's a valid point about the subtheme. People look at the titles so will avoid ones they have less interest in.

But then there is the old "this thread is 25 pages long how much more help do you need" when it might be a thread about 10 different things so I can see it falling foul either way.

Catch 22.

Long support threads have existed on various boards but they get criticised on the HA & Symptoms boards for some reason. It seems a good idea for those who accept it's really about the HA and they need help with that rather than what it's focussing on this week.

Fishmanpa
02-02-18, 17:44
Since the merge feature is in the fritz one alternative is to review a member's posting history to get a better overall view and understanding before you post. Often times the fear they're posting about has been something ongoing for a long period of time.

Go to the member profile, click "statistics" and then click on "all threads".

This is especially useful for newer members as they've not seen the past history and HA patterns and fears associated with that member.

Positive thoughts

Elen
05-02-18, 09:15
Can posters, especially those who are posting a lot about a variety of fears please confine their posts to one thread, and likewise if you are posting about the same fear it is helpful if it is contained on the one thread.

Elen

Bump