PDA

View Full Version : Scared after my dog got in a fight. :(

RainMorgan
31-01-18, 23:39
Hello,

I'm really worried about a horrid situation that happened today,

Today I was at college and when I came home my nan told me that my dog had gotten out of the front door while she was speaking to the postman. A woman we both know was walking her dogs there. One of these dogs has attacked my dog previously last year, and my dog went for that dog. They had a tussle. I'm not sure if there was biting. There was a lot of barking but no blood drawn, and my nan called for my dog to stop and called him back inside.

She went to go see if the dog was all right, and apologise. The woman was playing up her dog's injuries, apparently, as her dog just walked off unphased.

I rang up this woman to apologise, and I was wanting to find out if her dog was doing okay. I thought this was the right thing to do and it took me a lot to do it and get over my anxiety to do so. On the phone she was really weird and made claims about her dog being bruised which contradicted what i'd been told so I asked if she could show me a photograph of the bruising and she got angry and hung up. I rang back to apologise for that as I hate leaving things but she was rude again and hung up so I left it. I didn't want to be seen to be annoying her. She hasn't taken her dog to the vets or asked for help with the bill which i'd be willing to help out with...

My dog is not an aggressive dog but I realise that in this instance he was in the wrong. He goes out twice a week with a dog play/walking group where he's around 3-5 other dogs (different each time) and they just play in the fields. They're fine and for 2 years we've had no complaints. I think it's because he's had a history of being attacked by this dog. We of course didn't threaten or berate her when that happened.

She threatened to get him put on the dangerous dogs register. I went to look up the law and It's all a bit grey and hard to understand. But I don't think at this point they could take my dog away from me.

I feel like a shit dog owner. I feel terrified that my dog will be taken away. I feel awful that I can't apologize to this woman because she is just being horrible to me instead. I can't get it off my mind. I'm so scared and feeling so depressed and anxious about the whole thing and I'm on the verge of a panic attack.

Thank you. Sorry.

Buster70
01-02-18, 22:27
Hi there ,I wouldn't worry to much if no real injuries occurred , dogs getting in fights occasionally if part of owning a dog , my dogs have been attacked in the past and it is very traumatic but sometimes it's just their way of deciding who is top dog , there is a lot of noise and teeth and when you check them over hardly a mark on them , I've had to pull other peoples dogs off mine quite a few times , if a dog really does show real aggression it is another matter and it will need musseling when out a the least .
You've tried to do the right thing by the woman but she is probably still angry we do treat our dogs like family , I'd just give it time and don't let your dog near hers they don't forget when another dog has been aggressive.
Take care .

RainMorgan
02-02-18, 00:12
Hi there ,I wouldn't worry to much if no real injuries occurred , dogs getting in fights occasionally if part of owning a dog , my dogs have been attacked in the past and it is very traumatic but sometimes it's just their way of deciding who is top dog , there is a lot of noise and teeth and when you check them over hardly a mark on them , I've had to pull other peoples dogs off mine quite a few times , if a dog really does show real aggression it is another matter and it will need musseling when out a the least .
You've tried to do the right thing by the woman but she is probably still angry we do treat our dogs like family , I'd just give it time and don't let your dog near hers they don't forget when another dog has been aggressive.
Take care .

I feel a lot more calmer about it this morning.

I really do agree that they don't forget. My dog didn't forget that that dog had attacked him last year. Dogs have amazing memories.

Thank you.