PDA

View Full Version : Bowel cancer in children

rainbow
01-02-18, 12:34
Does anyone know the likelihood of a ten year old having bowel cancer. My mind is in overdrive again .

Fishmanpa
01-02-18, 12:51
If I said none would your anxiety allow you to believe it?

Positive thoughts

rainbow
01-02-18, 12:54
Maybe, but looking at stats for Scotland there has been 1 child in the 10-14 age group with bowel cancer. I know I seem crazy but have been struggling with this recent HA flare up for 18 months.

Annaboodle
01-02-18, 12:54
Zero I think. What symptoms are you worried about that make you think that your ten year old has cancer (other than because your HA is raging)?

rainbow
01-02-18, 13:29
Zero I think. What symptoms are you worried about that make you think that your ten year old has cancer (other than because your HA is raging)?

He always has very difficult to clean stools and last week on wiping there was a tiny smear of blood on the tp. My logical side is telling me it's probably a small sore area because of the excessive wiping but of course my HA wants to override that thought.

pulisa
01-02-18, 13:49
You have to listen to your logical side and discount and reject your own HA fear over bowel cancer.

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

He always has very difficult to clean stools and last week on wiping there was a tiny smear of blood on the tp. My logical side is telling me it's probably a small sore area because of the excessive wiping but of course my HA wants to override that thought.

I presume he told you about this? Is he aware of your own fears re bowel cancer?

rainbow
01-02-18, 14:06
Well, I sometimes check that he's clean because of the fact that he has to wipe so much and that's when I noticed it. He isn't aware of my fears of bowel cancer. His stools are always very large, formed but soft, he's been like this for years. He goes most days once or on occasion twice and now and again he'll go a day without going. The same thing happened to my 14 year old daughter about 2 years ago and for some reason I didn't obsess like this.

ankietyjoe
01-02-18, 14:15
Well.

Looking at Scotlands age demographic, it looks like there are just over 5.5 million people living in Scotland, 17% of whom are under 16 years old. That makes approximately one million children in that age range.

So.

The chance looks to be about one in a million.

nomorepanic
01-02-18, 14:29
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

Jenni855
01-02-18, 18:48
Sounds more like constipation/possible food intolerances to me.
Bowel cancer is the last thing that would come to my mind when talking not only about the age involved but the symptoms.

rainbow
01-02-18, 21:33
Sounds more like constipation/possible food intolerances to me.
Bowel cancer is the last thing that would come to my mind when talking not only about the age involved but the symptoms.

I don't think he's constipated, his stools are large but very difficult to clean. He's been like this for years. What makes you think it could be food intolerances?

Jenni855
01-02-18, 22:47
Just the fact you say his stool is difficult to clean so am presuming it is sticky. Might be a wheat/lactose thing. Just an idea.

Phuzella
02-02-18, 08:11
Could be food intolerances. Does he just use dry loo roll? Moist wipes are good to use I find. Just don't put loads down the toilet.