PDA

View Full Version : Quite the Anxiety Spiral...

TikPandora
01-02-18, 12:47
24 year old male here. On meds for diabetes and depression.

Well, it happened again. But I knew even when I finally thought I felt better that this would rear it's ugly head once more. I've been much better over the past few months, but this time it's really bad.

It all started earlier on in the night. I was just getting ready for bed when I noticed something. I could hear what seemed to be my heartbeat in my ear. Like I could hear it. This isn't anything new. For as long as I can remember I've had little episodes like this, but it has only ever happened before when I was laying down with my ear against a pillow. This time it was different, as I was sitting up with no pillow or even another surface in close proximity.

Usually I would be able to look over something like this, but for some reason it triggered me hard and everything went downhill from there. I began to look it up, even though I know I'm not supposed to. With every search I remembered every other odd little thing that has happened recently that could possibly go with it. Originally I came to the conclusion of having something wrong with my heart, but it quickly moved to aneurysm. I was hopeful, those are relatively rare and I managed to convince myself that I was just being silly but then my fears of the big ol' "C" word reared their ugly head.

I linked everything together then. The sounds of my heartbeat in my ear, the random bits of ringing I would hear every once in a while. The general head fog I felt (which could be from being very tired). Random little muscle spasms in my stomach, arms, and eyelid. Even the fact that my left hand has been slightly numb for the past few days eventually lumped on top of this. I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in August, and even though I know that my poor management of that could definitely be playing a part in the numbness, I still attributed it to this new seemingly real threat to my existence. I'm now to the point where I've convinced myself that my vision has deteriorated, something I didn't really think before, but I've convinced myself that it's worse now.

It's almost 7:00 AM now, and I'm sitting here in front of a monitor with it's brightness set way too high, completely convinced that I have some sort of "Glioblastoma" brain tumor and that I only have mere months to live. I envy the people that don't have this problem so much...

TikPandora
04-02-18, 07:51
It's been a few days now and I have only noticed this whole hand thing more. I have gotten about five hours or so of sleep in the past few days and I don't know if I can take it any longer. It's pretty much down to the hand numbness that is causing my main fear now. I thought it might be CTS but it can't be because my little finger is feeling it as well.

lyndau63
04-02-18, 14:39
Hi. I hope someone more helpful will answer you but i know how fed up I get if I don't get any response to my worries so thought I would just answer your pist. I think hearing heartbeat in your ear is quite common but I don't have much knowledge about this. I too am on meds for diabetes and for anxiety rather than depression but drugs are similar. Recently I have been having some symptoms which have worried me, including head fog and blurred vision. I am trying to tell myself, because of helpful responses I have received, that this could be down to diabetes and anxiety as they can both affect head sensations.

NervUs
04-02-18, 15:00
I have this same heartbeat in the ear when laying down. I know you are upright, but I know what you're talking about.

I have not had mine investigated yet (I was having it during a bout of flu), but what I read is that it is due to wax buildup in the ears to something vascular. It is not a brain cancer symptom, so that is your imagination running wild.

Brain fog and numbness are fairly subjective and are often associated with anxiety. When I am really anxious, I get the brain fog, and sometimes with anxiety, our minds exaggerate the physical sensations we have.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to sit around and speculate what you might have if the ear thing is bothering you. Just make an appointment with a doctor AND comply with the diabetes treatment plan. I'm sure the ear will be nothing sinister but thinking up explanations in your room is getting you nowhere closer to an answer.

TikPandora
05-02-18, 03:12
Thank you both. I actually am planning on making an appointment with my doctor sometime this week. Mainly to discuss my diabetes treatment progress. I'm not worried about the ear thing or anything else but the hand numbness at this point so I will bring it up with her at the appointment.