PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone!!

rach2791
01-02-18, 20:38
Hi everyone,
I have joined here as I hope I can talk to others who are going or have gone through the same or similar things as me, I dont know about any of you but I feel alone sometimes like no one else knows what its like to have a panic attack! I can't be near anyone during one and strangely have to get out of bed and sleep on the sofa if i'm having a bad episode!

I have always been an anxious person but over the last year I have been getting very bad panic attacks and anxiety, oddly all erupted after I had very bad case of Norovirus and I was violently ill for a few weeks. Maybe this triggered health worries?! i'm not sure. Anyways, sorry to go on! i'll post more in the sub forums as I have many issues which have led to this!

I also am keen to hear if anyone has been passed on to their local mental health team for CBT, I have my first assessment via phonecall next week!

thanks for reading this, feels good to be able to type what is going on!:D

venusbluejeans
01-02-18, 20:44
Hiya rach2791 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

lior
01-02-18, 20:53
Hello! Don't you worry about 'going on'. I 'go on' A LOT and it makes me feel much much better to vent it all out to people who get it.

I did CBT via IAPTs a few years ago. I remember being so nervous and thought about the phone call for the assessment a lot before it happened. The man was really nice on the phone - professional and gentle.

Do you have any particular questions?

rach2791
01-02-18, 21:00
thank you!, I won't worry about going on now! its all pretty new to me, talking to others about it! i don't really know what to think about CBT yet, i'm more concerned about getting all the right points across over the phone, I was a bit puzzled at first, how they can assess something like that over the phone and not seeing you! but i'm sure they know what they are doing!!

hannah55
01-02-18, 22:22
Hello! Fell free to talk as openly as you want about anxiety. Don't worry if you can't get all your points across over the telephone assessment, there will be plenty of time to talk during the CBT sessions. It may help to write down what you would like to say during the telephone assessment, so that you have something to refer to. When I had the CBT assessment over the phone, I found the person to be really understanding which helps so much with nerves. So I hope all goes well for you with CBT.

lior
01-02-18, 22:33
It's funny, the more I learn about psychology and people's stories, the more I can see that there are patterns. Everyone has their own story and their own particular way that problems manifest, but there are definitely patterns there. The psychologists learn about the patterns and they have good ideas about how to treat them. It might feel like our experiences are unique, but we have enough in common with other people for the psychologists to know how to help us.

CBT is useful - I think they should teach it in schools - it's about how the mind works. It didn't help me fix all my problems because my problems run deep, but it definitely helped me learn about myself more and how to take care of my mind better. I wish that all my family and friends could learn about CBT, it would help with relationship problems a lot :)