PDA

View Full Version : Terrified on Brain Tumour

WorriedTQ
02-02-18, 16:41
Hi
This will be my first time using a forum to discuss my anxiety. I have suffered with anxiety in the past but am new to health anxiety. Sadly though I feel it is taking over my life. It all started in December last year when I developed a headache which wouldn't shift ... no other symptoms. This quickly raised my panic levels and I ended up in A&E twice over Christmas with panic attack and headaches. The headaches have subsided thankfully after a number of visits to my GP but the anxiety has not. I have tried not to search symptoms but that is very difficult!! Gp thought I had anxiety so told me to work on relaxing. I am a professional with two kids so life is busy. However I have noticed over the last week I have been waking in the night with tingling hands. I have also had intermittant pains in my head ... not headache tnough. This is sending me into a spiral of panic. The tingling does go away when i move my arms but I think I can feel it during the day also now (albeit this may be anxiety playing with my mind). I think I just need some reassurance as I'm concerned about continuously going to Gp and it's very difficult to get an appointment here in the UK that isn't weeks ahead.

Sorry this post is so long!! Any advice gratefully received.

ferun
02-02-18, 17:06
I had the same fear for over a year and just recently got more or less over it. I'll just copy what I wrote in another thread a couple of hours ago:

"My doctor told me that if I had a brain tumor (which is rare to begin with) I would have come to him because of other way more severe symptoms long before I would have noticed a headache."

Another user replied that their doctor told them the same.

I won't mention the actual symptoms he told me about, in case you'd rather not know, but I can assure you that they aren't any of the ones you listed.

I hope this helps :)

WorriedTQ
02-02-18, 19:18
Thank you. Whilst I'm quite used to dealing with anxiety, this health anxiety has actually floored me. It is dominating my days and ruining my nights.I just need to know other people are going through the same thing or have recovered. It is truly awful but thank You for your reassurance.

WorriedTQ
04-02-18, 22:29
I'm struggling this evening. Feeling very anxious. Because the tingling wakes me in the night I am almost anticipating it. I'm feeling too worried to sleep. I feel like I have odd feelings in my arms but I think these might be phantom feelings because I'm anxious .... at least in think ��.

wilky44
04-02-18, 22:59
I've seen what symptoms a brain tumour displays first hand. I won't describe them for a trigger fear in others, but you have none of them. They're much, much more severe then the odd headache and hand tingling.

ryan0987
04-02-18, 23:03
Hi WorriedTQ, I am sorry you’re feeling so anxious. Yes, almost everyone on this forum has gone through similar experience as you, although maybe not specific to your symptoms or perceived illness.

Since you have experience with dealing with anxiety in the past, I will say that you can use generally use the same strategy as you have in the past to deal with other forms of anxiety, e.g. CBT, mindfulness, breathing exercises, relaxation techniques, etc. My first anxiety diagnosis years ago was panic disorder, and HA is really not that different from it. Previously I would: 1) notice something “off” about my body, 2) focus on that sensation, 3) tell myself that sensation is “bad” and that I am going to panic, 4) catastrophize what would happen if I panic, and 5) panic!

HA is not that different, and instead of focusing on symptoms to “prevent” a panic attack, the focus is now about preventing a health issue. But at the end of the day it’s about focusing on a generally normal or benign symptom and assign the wrong meaning and reason to them.

I hope it helps you feel better somewhat and give you some thoughts on strategies you’ve used for before to manage your HA. My most helpful advice to you is to never Google your symptoms or illness. Like any anxiety attacks, the anxiety comes in a wave, and the strategy is to make the wave as small as possible. By Googling you’re only making that crest higher which could easily send you into a spiral.

All the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WorriedTQ
05-02-18, 15:37
Thank you.

I had an ok night but am not feeling great today. I have been sat at my desk worrying all day. I have been feeling dizzy/woozy and have become hyper aware of my cognative behaviour. I keep thinking I am going to miss my mouth when I am drinking or eating.... I feel like I may be making this all up but the famous 'what if?' Is troubling me. I'm sure I also had a tingly feeling on my face as well. I just cannot cope with all this worry and maintain a perfectly normal persona at work. It's so stressful. Do I need to go back to GP? The last time I went I only had headaches. Those have pretty much gone but I have all this other weird stuff happening and am beginning to feel desperate. Perhaps I need to discuss these symptoms and review my anxiety??? I've not been for 3 weeks but I am conscious of being a time waster or fraud. Its also really difficult to get an appointment in my region. I'm lost! I'm a 38 year old married professional and a mother of 2.... It's taking over my whole life. Help?

Towelie
05-02-18, 17:12
I have a small bit of reassurance for you.

I recently went through a very similar experience and yes it is extremely tough being so anxious and having to carry on with work and life as if everything is normal. I had all the tingly hands and even up my arms and it woke me at night sometimes as well. I managed to get over the fear and worry and all my hand tingles have gone now. The doctor wasn't very helpful but by all means book an appointment if a doctor is the only person who can put you at ease. I have since moved on to other symptoms :( it's exhausting

Wishing you all the best, I hope you feel better.

PS thank you to everyone who posts without giving details about actual brain tumor symptoms. I probably wouldn't stop myself from reading them and possibly developing them at some point! Lol damn my subconscious mind!

WorriedTQ
05-02-18, 18:05
Thank you Towelie. I just don't know if I'm going mad! Its so difficult as people who dont suffer dont understand. Best of luck to you !!!

Mummybee
05-02-18, 20:30
I have been through the brain tumour fear also.
When my anxiety is up I also wake through the night with tingling hands and numbness. I think it’s just the way I sleep.
Breath, you’re ok.

Mummybee