PDA

View Full Version : Supposedly normal chest x-ray...

CG5246
02-02-18, 20:19
Some of you may remember I have been worried about lymphoma and my doctor sent me to get a CT scan for my ease of mind. Well the radiologists at the radiology center decided that I shouldn't get a CT scan because I don't need it.

Instead, they did a chest x-ray and an ultrasound of my lymph nodes. They said the chest x-ray was normal and so were the lymph nodes and my organs seen via ultrasound. Okay, great, but I was so wrapped up in all my questions that I forgot to ask something about the chest x-ray.

The chest x-ray, from what I remember, had small white dots that from what I remember formed a circle on the right side of the chest. However, I don't remember seeing the same white dots on the other side.

When I discussed the results with my doctor, he only had a paper in front of him that said that the chest x-ray was normal, only that I had a curvature in my spine (I already knew that, I have scoliosis). I didn't ask him about the small white dots because he didn't have the x-ray in front of him, so I didn't know if he would be able to answer my question.

I thought the chest x-rays weren't supposed to have ANY white dots anywhere? I don't understand how this could be a normal chest x-ray if they could see white dots?

I want to believe that it's a just a marker that the x-ray tech put on the x-ray or something, but to me that doesn't make sense. I really don't know what to think and I am scared to google what these white dots could be.

Aren't you not supposed to see any white in the lung area? Just a hazy gray area?

nomorepanic
02-02-18, 20:26
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

CG5246
02-02-18, 21:01
Anyone? :(

nomorepanic
02-02-18, 21:10
I am not sure we have any radiographers on here to be honest.

You should ask the doctor really.

pulisa
02-02-18, 21:24
The radiographer would have been able to interpret the results accurately thanks to years of medical training. He will have sent the report to your doctor saying that the result was normal. What you think you saw is a result of your HA playing up, not actual medical fact.

CG5246
02-02-18, 21:49
Pulisa, I am sure you are right. I just don't know what I saw, I just remember white spots, and now I'm wondering what they are.

But they said it's normal...they didn't say anything about nodules or anything...but then why are there white spots? I am scared :weep:

pulisa
02-02-18, 22:05
I think you must question these "white spots" that you believe you saw. Why would a qualified radiographer say that an x ray was normal when it wasn't? Are you qualified to read x rays?

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

I think it's a mistake to show patients with HA their x ray or scan pictures because interpretations can be made which cause unnecessary worry. Written results are all that is needed in my opinion.

CG5246
02-02-18, 22:12
I think you must question these "white spots" that you believe you saw. Why would a qualified radiographer say that an x ray was normal when it wasn't? Are you qualified to read x rays?

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

I think it's a mistake to show patients with HA their x ray or scan pictures because interpretations can be made which cause unnecessary worry. Written results are all that is needed in my opinion.

I have no idea why a doctor of radiology would say an x ray is normal if it wasn't. Good point. You are right, no, I'm not qualified to read x-rays...there is a language barrier since I only speak English and I am in Germany, but their English is pretty good, so i think if there was anything abnormal they would still tell me.

I guess I am concerned about lung nodules, but I would think they would have said something if I had a lung nodule since I don't think that's a normal result? Instead of saying my chest x-ray was normal?

pulisa
02-02-18, 22:21
I certainly think they would have said something about lung nodules too!
Blimey, these are German doctors too so they aren't going to miss anything so basic as that!! You have to believe and be happy that you have had a normal result. There have been no mistakes. You have a healthy disease-free chest.

WiseMonkey
02-02-18, 22:40
Hi,

I do remember my mother saying there were white spots on an X-rays of her hips, they were are air bubbles and normal! She was in her late 60's then, she's now 90.
So your X-ray is normal :)

BikerMatt
02-02-18, 23:24
I had a chest xray in 2017 and I was told i had basial something (can't remember exactly) and a little emphysema but nothing to be overly concerned about. So i'm sure if they can tell what it is when something is spotted, when they can't see anything you're fine.

Mindprison
03-02-18, 19:00
I don't ask to see scan results, numbers from blood tests or anything like that. For this very reason.

I'm not trained to read them so why would I even want to know? I'm pretty much of the opinion that we should only be told "it's good" or "it's bad" because everything else is just fuel for the fire.

If someone with years and years of medical practice tells me the results are fine, why would I who has no medical knowledge argue with that?

CG5246
06-02-18, 20:21
Just a quick update for everyone...the mind does some crazy things...somehow I was absolutely, positively CONVINCED, that--first--there was an outline of a circle of white spots on my chest x-ray. There MUST have been at least TEN white spots, I swear. THEN I was absolutely, positively convinced that it was an entire circle of white spots. There must have been TEN or MORE white spots!

I know we aren't supposed to look for reassurance, but I went to the radiologist today to ask what the white spots were and he pulled up my x-ray and, there was no circle of white spots at all....There were like 3-4 white spots total and they were in a different spot than I remembered and the doctor said that they were all pulmonary veins/arteries. Completely normal.

I don't ask to see scan results, numbers from blood tests or anything like that. For this very reason.

I'm not trained to read them so why would I even want to know? I'm pretty much of the opinion that we should only be told "it's good" or "it's bad" because everything else is just fuel for the fire.

If someone with years and years of medical practice tells me the results are fine, why would I who has no medical knowledge argue with that?

I am just starting to learn this...that I shouldn't ask to see anything. I felt so comforted by the doctor showing me the chest x-ray and telling me that these were pulmonary veins/arteries...30 SECONDS after I left, I started wondering why one of the spots seemed bigger than the others...and my mind started making the spot a lot bigger than it probably was!!

After realizing that I was completely wrong about the "circle" of white spots on my x-ray, I could stop myself and tell myself, "NO, this is just my health anxiety blowing things out of proportion, just like before. The spot is probably not as big as I'm imagining now, this is just my anxiety, just like before, when it completely distorted what I remembered the first time I saw the x-ray!! And besides, the doctors said they were veins/arteries. completely normal. Nothing to worry about!!"

I know I'm not supposed to seek reassurance, but if anything, this taught me just how much HA can distort your memory/thought process when it comes to health worries. The chest x-ray in real life looked COMPLETELY different than what my HA had convinced me of.

Thank you to everyone on this post, and this forum. Things are easing up for me I think.

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

I meant to put in my post--- PULISA WAS RIGHT!! Thanks Pulisa :)

pulisa
06-02-18, 20:45
I'm pleased to have helped you just a bit and it's great that this experience has given you added insight, no matter how stressful it was at the time.