PDA

View Full Version : Hey! Please support me

Legally blonde
03-02-18, 04:14
Hey! I’m a first year law student. I suffer from panic disorder. I was on medicine but it caused me to gain a lot of weight and I didn’t think I needed it any more so I was taken off of it. I recently have been having panic attacks at least once a week and it’s steadily getting worse. My best friend is getting married and I only know one bridesmaid and obviously the bride. We are going on a bachelorette trip in a few weeks and it is causing my panic attacks to become worse. I am scared because I like to be in control of things and I stick to things that make me feel safe. This trip terrifies me because I feel left out. I live an hour and a half away from the other bridesmaids and I have no time to try to get to know them because I’m in law school and way too busy. I am forcing myself to go on this trip because my friend would probably never forgive me if I didn’t. I just don’t know how I’m going to get through it. It makes me nauseous thinking about the trip and knowing I will have no control. Please help me. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

venusbluejeans
03-02-18, 04:24
Hiya Legally blonde and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

hannah55
03-02-18, 12:45
Hey, my advice would be try and plan as best as you possibly can. Ask your friend for more details about the trip. Maybe think of conversation starters/topics to help when you meet the other girls. Try and focus on the positives of the trip e.g. location, new friendships, enjoying the trip etc. Try some breathing techniques to calm yourself when the anxiety peaks. I know how horrible anxiety can be especially when it makes you feel really panicky and feeling ill because of it. Hope this helped :)

failingsanity04
03-02-18, 15:30
Hey! I’m a first year law student. I suffer from panic disorder. I was on medicine but it caused me to gain a lot of weight and I didn’t think I needed it any more so I was taken off of it. I recently have been having panic attacks at least once a week and it’s steadily getting worse. My best friend is getting married and I only know one bridesmaid and obviously the bride. We are going on a bachelorette trip in a few weeks and it is causing my panic attacks to become worse. I am scared because I like to be in control of things and I stick to things that make me feel safe. This trip terrifies me because I feel left out. I live an hour and a half away from the other bridesmaids and I have no time to try to get to know them because I’m in law school and way too busy. I am forcing myself to go on this trip because my friend would probably never forgive me if I didn’t. I just don’t know how I’m going to get through it. It makes me nauseous thinking about the trip and knowing I will have no control. Please help me. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

I don't know what to say to help, but if it's any consolation I recently cancelled a big family outing which I would have loved to have gone to.
My advice would be to consider medication firstly that does not make you gain weight. For example I take olanzapine now which puts on weight but quetiapine does not. There are alternatives.
Furthermore, consider what affects your quality of life more: being overweight or feeling calm. I would like to go back on sertraline which was causing diarrhea three times a day just because it is easier to live with diarrhea than what I have.
It is my plan to try meditation for better mind control, I cannot testify for it myself, but I know others who do. I honestly feel that medication is your best avenue. Hope this helps.

Jimbobby
06-02-18, 21:29
Hi

I know how hard anxiety can be but please dont worry or just try to leave the negative thoughts where they are. Try to just get to the trip and go from there. From personal expiriance I can almost guarantee the images you have in your mind about what could go wron will not happen and even if by some fluke they do it wouldn't work out half as bad as you think it could infact it would probably be therapeutic. Also I'm betting here as at least 1 other person going who is of a simaler modest to your own, people are generally a lot more anxious than they let on at this kind of thing.

I hope you go and have great time with your friend and new friends ��

Go on the trip what's the worst that can happen??

Legally blonde
16-02-18, 01:07
You guys are awesome! Thanks for the support! I am going tomorrow!! I am definitely still a little anxious but I’m also excited.