PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever tried Stelazine or trifluoperazine

Wilburis
03-07-07, 22:17
Hi

Just wondered if anyone has ever tried the above. Was it successful and what are the side effects like?

Im starting on 1mg twice a day but am really scared to take it.

many thanks
Liz xx

nomorepanic
03-07-07, 22:32
Liz

Not heard of it - have you tried a search on here for posts?

Wilburis
04-07-07, 00:46
Hi

yes I have, but Ive been googling and scaring myself silly. I was hoping someone could maybe pm me as I hate taking any meds and always think the worst side effect will happen to me.

By the way, this med is an anti psychotic, which, again, has made me very desperate to get in contact with someone. My Doc wants me to take this as well as my sertraline. Ive read that stelazine is a last resort for people when anti depressants dont work!!

Thank for replying and take care - Liz xx

Alabasterlyn
04-07-07, 11:23
I took Stelazine years and years ago when I was about 16. I can't remember why I was given them or for how long, but I'm sure I had no adverse side effects as I know I would definately remember if I had.

prism
10-07-07, 11:54
I have been on trifluoperazine for 10 months at 2mg twice a day. I found this to be a godsend as nothing else had worked. I could barely get out till i started taking it. People are no longer a trigger for me,i still get a little anxious but it can be easily controlled.

I have had no side effects whilst taking it. I have finally found a med that actually works for me.

prism:yesyes:

Jenny
12-02-08, 18:50
hi
A friend of mine is coming off Stelazine at the moment, and is having terrible side effects. Pins and needles in her head, and high anxiety. Are you still on these tabs? If not did you have any side effects?

Thanks Jenny xxx

Jenny
12-02-08, 18:52
Sorry I mean when you come off the tabs. She was find raking them.

Jenny xxx

prism
12-02-08, 23:34
Hi Jenny,
i'm still taking them although i have found that for me there is a side effect that started after 15 months of taking them.I used to be a deep thinker ( the universe, meaning of life, etc ) but i find that can't do it anymore( if you know what i mean ) .
I miss it but i prefer to be stable.
I have no intention of coming off it yet.
How long and what dose was your friend on? if you don't mind me asking

prism:)

PUGLETMUM
13-02-08, 08:25
:) hi lizzie, im the same as lynn - i was prescribed stelazine about 13-14 years ago, and i took them briefly. i can remember having no adverse effects on then but i can also remember them not actually helping me either!!!!

i may be wrong but i think ive read they are an anti-pshycotic, but these meds are used for other things as well like high anxiety so i wouldnt be alarmed. also i have rarely heard anybody talking about stelazine on here?

i would say ask your doctor what they are and why (i mean what specifically have you been given them for, when you take into account that they can be used for different things) you have been given them, and most importantly you can ask what side-effects to expect and what you should look for in order to discontinue. hope this helps:winks: emma

PUGLETMUM
13-02-08, 08:32
:) hi ive just gone back and read your second post (sorry i missed that one:blush: )where you have said you know they are an anti-pshycotic. also you have said you have read they are given as a last resort - not in my case - i was actually given these BEFORE i was even tried on an anti-depressant, so i dont think that info is correct.

also i was not phsycotic in any way shape or form, and i think they are also given as a mild anti-anxiety drug - like i say these meds can be used for various problems. ive heard of people being given an anti-epilepsy drug for our issues, so you have to really get the full picture about a drug first and i would say your doctor or pharmacist will know enough about these drugs to put your mind at rest.:yesyes: emma

Jenny
13-02-08, 11:47
Hi Prism

Thank-you so much for replying. I have phoned my friend this morning and she in a state at the moment. Her Dr. isn't much help, she has spoken to him and he told her to take some Nurofen. When she first started to take the Stelazine she was on 6mgs daily. She is now down to 1mg. She was prescibed them under a year ago.

Thanks again
Jenny xx

caz303
26-03-08, 19:20
I've used these in the past and may ask my doctor for them again instead of Lorazepam that I've taken for the past week and made me feel like a zombie :scared15: I found them to be very effective and no side effects. I used to take them as and when I needed them sometimes.

Richie
26-03-08, 19:37
Hi there x :) :)
Have heard of them, but the doctors shouldn't be dishing these things out like sweeties anyhow.
I'm a hypocrite though cause take pills myself!!!!! but it's so tempting!!!
Take care Richie x x x x x x x x

Richie
26-03-08, 19:56
Hi
Would like to add that whether you are taking natural meds or prescribed meds it's really important to eat. Sounds obvious! But when you have anxiety/depression your appetite is somewhat bottom of list of priorities!
Some people just simply forget to eat at times:(
So even if you have a banana or a bowl of cornflakes, it's better to eat something, anything than not. Because the medications and vitamins just simply don't work effectively otherwise.
Luv Richie x x x

beth
15-04-08, 18:35
hi linz i been on them 6 months 2 tablets a day im on 100mg and find the side affects of insomnia lasted bout a week or near that im like you was worried for a while so put of taking them.. but ok now i bin on so many different medication over 14 yrs yet these are the best so try not to worry

Beth x