PDA

View Full Version : smoothies health worry thread

smoothie
05-02-18, 17:05
Hello everyone, i've decided to keep all my worries into one thread as to not clutter the forum with various things.:yesyes:

Currently, i'm doing great! At this moment in time i'm not convinced that I have some killer disease.

Unfortunately, I still have the fear that i'm going to get some killer disease and there's nothing I can do to stop it :weep: but thats not my main worry right now.

My main worry is the current NHS crisis. There's a lack of beds, staff, and people are waiting for hours in waiting rooms.

I'm worried that if I did get sick I wouldn't receive the best standard of care.

I've been worrying about this for a while but that story in the news this morning about

WARNING: TRIGGERING CONTENT

that young man that vomited a whole load of blood and died bc it was either go to hospital or become homeless bc of medical bills.

END OF TRIGGERING CONTENT

I'm scared of the future of healthcare in the UK. That the shortage of staff and beds will increase and that we'll lose our free healthcare. :unsure:

Phuzella
05-02-18, 17:09
Nobody can see the future so we'll have to wait and see. In the meantime keep yourself as healthy as you can so minimising the risk that you'll need a hospital. Relax :)

axolotl
05-02-18, 17:34
If you'te scared of a political issue happening use your voice - petition, lobby, bother your MP, spread the word.

In the meantime what are you doing about your anxiety?

I spent some time replying to one of your threads in the IBS forum and never got a reply btw. Guess you didn't find it useful :shrug:

smoothie
05-02-18, 18:10
If you'te scared of a political issue happening use your voice - petition, lobby, bother your MP, spread the word.

In the meantime what are you doing about your anxiety?

I spent some time replying to one of your threads in the IBS forum and never got a reply btw. Guess you didn't find it useful :shrug:

oh im so sorry! i did find it helpful, as i do sometimes get up earlier and i always try and sit in an aisle seat near the back of any lecture halls. :)

I just have a problem with replying to things (my autism i guess)

I'm pretty sure it's not triggered by food and is only triggered by my anxiety (unless food affects that too) because it flares up the worst when I know I will have absolutely no access to a bathroom such as in rush hour.

I tried to make an appointment with the doctor on Wednesday but they were full. And I made an appointment with the student service and went to that on Friday to talk about what I could possibly do. She recommended me some apps and if I feel it's necessary get counselling at my university.

axolotl
05-02-18, 18:17
oh im so sorry! i did find it helpful, as i do sometimes get up earlier and i always try and sit in an aisle seat near the back of any lecture halls. :)

I just have a problem with replying to things (my autism i guess)

I'm pretty sure it's not triggered by food and is only triggered by my anxiety (unless food affects that too) because it flares up the worst when I know I will have absolutely no access to a bathroom such as in rush hour.

I tried to make an appointment with the doctor on Wednesday but they were full. And I made an appointment with the student service and went to that on Friday to talk about what I could possibly do. She recommended me some apps and if I feel it's necessary get counselling at my university.

Sounds like you've made some positive steps there so well done and stick with it.

MyNameIsTerry
06-02-18, 01:45
Something to be careful with over the NHS is the media. Much of what we hear today was going on when I was young (patients on beds in corridors, horrendous A&E waiting times, infection control issues, etc) and every year it's reported as if it's something new. It's really not.

And another is political parties. Whichever party is in opposition, the NHS becomes their football to kick the current government over.

It does need more money and changes but be wary of the scaremongering that goes on around it. My mum has been in hospital a couple of times for stays in recent years and it's no different to when I've been in when I was a child from what I saw. She has spent a year back & forth for tests and waited less in waiting rooms than we did many years ago.

And hospitals with dreadful problems like Stafford went on over the years too. Cottage hospitals have been stripped & closed for decades which has led to a lot of the issues with social care now. Both major parties wrecked cottage hospitals.

Things need sorting but the scaremongering media try to portray it as the end is nigh or we are going to go private. When they say private they feed us the image of the US with their problems. Why? Why don't they tell us about the private health systems in Germany that are seen as better than our social care? It just wouldn't fit their narrative. :winks: (I would rather we had the NHS, of course)

smoothie
06-02-18, 22:42
Something to be careful with over the NHS is the media. Much of what we hear today was going on when I was young (patients on beds in corridors, horrendous A&E waiting times, infection control issues, etc) and every year it's reported as if it's something new. It's really not.

And another is political parties. Whichever party is in opposition, the NHS becomes their football to kick the current government over.

It does need more money and changes but be wary of the scaremongering that goes on around it. My mum has been in hospital a couple of times for stays in recent years and it's no different to when I've been in when I was a child from what I saw. She has spent a year back & forth for tests and waited less in waiting rooms than we did many years ago.

And hospitals with dreadful problems like Stafford went on over the years too. Cottage hospitals have been stripped & closed for decades which has led to a lot of the issues with social care now. Both major parties wrecked cottage hospitals.

Things need sorting but the scaremongering media try to portray it as the end is nigh or we are going to go private. When they say private they feed us the image of the US with their problems. Why? Why don't they tell us about the private health systems in Germany that are seen as better than our social care? It just wouldn't fit their narrative. :winks: (I would rather we had the NHS, of course)

I keep forgetting the media is a malevolent beast of misinformation. :doh:

Luckily I know that when a story appears such as '18 year old jim caught this common bug and died!!!!!' the story will be twisted. it will be a very rare complication that killed jim or the media will purposefully leave out things like lifelong underlying conditions that lead to the complications. Helps with the anxiety sometimes.

media sucks. :mad:

Pinkmoon
06-02-18, 22:48
I guess the ultimate goal would be accepting that some day you might get ill, but probably not, and probably far in the future and from something common. Total acceptance of this reality. And this, in turn, will lesson the fear. Obviously everyone is worried about future illness - but when it becomes an unmanageable level it becomes a problem.

Mindfulness and meditation can help.

smoothie
08-02-18, 20:33
Something quite scary happened today.

I got my first ever migraine.

It started as just a slight ache in my head. Then my eyes went funny. Like i'd been staring at lights for too long (although there ARE a billion lights in the lecture hall I was in) and I couldn't see my fingers while typing on my phone. I think I lost vision around the edges. :(

Then it evolved into a terrible headache. The pain was so bad I started to cry. And I started to hate every single noise (i'm also autistic so i'm sensitive to noise anyway). I made it home, popped two pink migraleve pills, threw up, then fell asleep in my room for an hour.

Of course even though it was a migraine i'm still slightly worried about meningitis. Even though my headache is 90% gone and I have no other symptoms now apart from being sleepy. Plus I got the meningococcal vaccine a few years ago. But that's just how your brain is when you have HA. :shrug:

Anyway, i'm a lot better now and should be fine after a good nights sleep. :yesyes:

axolotl
08-02-18, 21:23
Something quite scary happened today.

I got my first ever migraine.

It started as just a slight ache in my head. Then my eyes went funny. Like i'd been staring at lights for too long (although there ARE a billion lights in the lecture hall I was in) and I couldn't see my fingers while typing on my phone. I think I lost vision around the edges. :(

Then it evolved into a terrible headache. The pain was so bad I started to cry. And I started to hate every single noise (i'm also autistic so i'm sensitive to noise anyway). I made it home, popped two pink migraleve pills, threw up, then fell asleep in my room for an hour.

Of course even though it was a migraine i'm still slightly worried about meningitis. Even though my headache is 90% gone and I have no other symptoms now apart from being sleepy. Plus I got the meningococcal vaccine a few years ago. But that's just how your brain is when you have HA. :shrug:

Anyway, i'm a lot better now and should be fine after a good nights sleep. :yesyes:

I've had meningitis, pretty much as bad as you can (but with thankly no lasting side-effects) you would not be "a lot better", in fact you'd be in an ambulance by now. Put it out of your head.

Not pleasant, but all migraine sufferers have to have their first one, sorry you've had a bad day.

Carys
08-02-18, 22:16
Now, migraines can be quite frightening, I'll grant you that....particularly the first few and if you only get them rarely. I had them until my late 30s, when they remained as just visual migraine with no headache and vomiting. My daughter also has them, but hers are lessening as she gets older. If you are 'lucky' enough (yeah right!!!!) to get the type of aura you are referring to where you have sparkles and lose some field of vision (its a most odd feeling that is hard to describe to someone isn't it) then we found the following worked....

1. Immediately your eyes go...eat a sweet carbohydrate (carry something as for emergencies in your bag)
2. Immediately take neurofen.
3. Put sunglasses on.
4. Get to to a darkened bedroom if you are able...Don't lie down flat, but slightly sitting up in bed.
5. Close your eyes and try to go to sleep if at all possible. Going to sleep in many cases resolved it for us.

If you get to the vomiting stage, then its probably too late for all the above and just going to sleep will be needed....

Migraines are horrible, awful, you feel really unwell.

How did you have the pink migraleve tablets if its your first migraine ?

smoothie
09-02-18, 07:45
How did you have the pink migraleve tablets if its your first migraine ?

I’m 18 and I still live at home (university’s not too far away and it was cheaper than staying in halls). My mum said she gets occasional migraines so she had some in the medicine cabinet. She also told be to do what you just said, minus the sunglasses and carbohydrate. :) I’m fine now. Just sleepy from waking up early for uni.

smoothie
16-02-18, 21:38
Hello again everyone

I'm quite anxious at the moment. I've got a lot of university work to do ( a report. 3 online tests. one test on paper. and i'm behind on my notes :weep: ).

Symptom wise, i'm ok. Apart from one thing. I have an almost constant urge to pee. It flares up when I know i'll be stuck away from the bathroom. Sometimes it's in my mind but sometimes I really DO have to go. For example i'll go to the bathroom then be desperate only 30 minutes later. It's completely clear so I know it's anxiety. Sometimes it's a lot, sometimes it's only a wee (lol) bit. Nowadays I often don't even feel relief.

I'm worried about this symptom because it's making me borderline agoraphobic. I have my driving theory test tomorrow and i'm worried because I have to get the bus into town, and i'm not sure if i'll be allowed a bathroom break while i'm there (exams also sometimes make me vomit and have diarrhoea. It's guesswork to see whether it'll flare or not.)

I'll definitely need to get it under control if i'm to sit my driving test. I already get really nervous on my lessons (this week I did have to ask him to pull over so I could go into a public bathroom) so there's no way i'd survive a test.

I'm trying to get it under control. I avoid drinking anything except water and I don't drink an awful lot and i'm also trying to avoid bladder irritants. I also wear dark trousers and wear several thick sanitary pads at once.

What can I do? I haven't had an accident (yet) but this symptom is really depressing. :weep:

Scass
16-02-18, 21:47
Oh this is a rotten worry to have. I’m so sad for you that it’s having such a huge impact on your day to day life.

So for tomorrow you need to start with some relaxation. YouTube & find something that works for you. I love to play games on my phone to help relax my mind. I think the repetition of block building etc helps to centre me.

I think it’s very telling that you’re not even nervous about your theory test! You’re just nervous about the wee. You need to keep telling yourself that you’ve been ok. You have got through every day so far & you WILL get through this one too.

IBS can have a symptom where you need to wee a lot. I sometimes get the same thing too.
Did you know that sometimes if you don’t drink enough you may wee more? I had this thing for months where I didn’t drink enough during the day, and my bladder tried to regulate itself by getting me up 3 times a night... now I drink enough I don’t need to wee in the night.

Don’t believe everything you think! You can do this, and keep positive and have faith in YOU! Soon I hope you can stop wearing those pads when you go out.

Good luck tomorrow. Let us know how you get on xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoothie
17-02-18, 14:44
UPDATE: Failed my theory (that darn hazard perception :mad: ) but I made it there and back no problem. :yesyes:

Now that I know what to expect there shouldn't be any problems when I resit.