PDA

View Full Version : Cytokine Storms?

Wirel
05-02-18, 18:53
I've seen it pop up sometimes and I have no idea if this is a real thing or not. There's no page about it which gives me the impression that it's an internet story but there are several studies on how it played a big part in pandemics and how it lead to deaths of healthy individuals.

To me It sounds a lot like Sepsis, I don't know what the difference is between the two but I presume if you had these things you would know about it because it would hit you hard.

Now I'm kinda scared about my immune system but I keep thinking that it's not really an issue because if it was serious there would be more publicity about it but at the same time there is some worry because if it exists, it can happen.

ServerError
05-02-18, 19:06
It's a real thing. Its proper name is "Cytokine Release Syndrome". Wikipedia has a page on it, but it's not something anybody with anxiety is going to benefit from reading.

ktdid2000
05-02-18, 19:24
It's a real thing. Its proper name is "Cytokine Release Syndrome". Wikipedia has a page on it, but it's not something anybody with anxiety is going to benefit from reading.

Whoa, DO NOT go to that page! :ohmy:

Good news is, a severe case is very rare.

Mindprison
05-02-18, 19:39
Too much knowledge is a bad thing when it comes to health. The problem with things like this is that while it's true there have been cases of it, there haven't been enough to warrant worrying about it.

Something i've been trying to get to grips with lately through mindfulness is accepting that there is so much uncertainty in life. We can't go through it worrying about what will and won't kill us since that time worrying should be spent living. All we can do is do our best to treat our body right and let the chips fall where they may.

Carys
05-02-18, 19:46
Something i've been trying to get to grips with lately through mindfulness is accepting that there is so much uncertainty in life. We can't go through it worrying about what will and won't kill us since that time worrying should be spent living.

Wise words !

Wirel
06-02-18, 03:39
The problem is with anxiety, sometimes people want to get on with there lives but it's that little thought that lingers in their head that acts like a anchor and keeps them down.

Really regret researching into this immune response btw

melfish
06-02-18, 03:45
It's weird, but reading that doesn't trigger my anxiety at all

ServerError
06-02-18, 10:00
Yeah, I only heard of this recently. I went straight to the internet to learn more because I couldn't help but be curious. Things like this generally don't get to me. I don't know anyone who's ever experienced a cytokine storm.

Fishmanpa
06-02-18, 12:59
I don't know anyone who's ever experienced a cytokine storm.

Never heard of it before. All I know is when I see things I've never heard about here, it's good 'ol Dr. Google ;)

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
06-02-18, 13:36
Yeah, I only heard of this recently. I went straight to the internet to learn more because I couldn't help but be curious. Things like this generally don't get to me. I don't know anyone who's ever experienced a cytokine storm.

It made me check the weather report. :whistles:

It's something I've seen mentioned on here before but other than that in medical literature or their TV programmes only.

Given it's one of the complications that one is in the media from in dying from the current flu, I expected it was because of this rather than a random search.