PDA

View Full Version : I"m giving up posting on here! Frustrated with cancelled posts

tan235
06-02-18, 03:02
Anyone else with me?
Every post I put up gets canceled, and then I have to go find my old post to add the new question to the old post which then doesn't really indicate my new questions as you only see the original post! ha ha

I can't keep it up - I get super stressed, I post and then I come back and it's gone.
Sorry NMP it's just not working for me.
However, I have made some good friends on here and so I will help where I can but I may need to source elsewhere for my support.
In moments of needing support and panic this only stresses me out even more and trust me - all my ailments have similar undertones so I"ll be canceled to post to old threads forever and who can be bothered going through old posts to find the 'new question'??

---------- Post added at 03:02 ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 ----------

Plus I'm certain this post will get canceled as well...

AntsyVee
06-02-18, 04:28
The flip side to this issue, though, is that many people stop posting on new threads made by the new person over and over. People do look at “old”posts to find updates. They often ignore new posts when they see the same person posting multiple threads.

Also, I think the other big issue is that if you feel the need to make a new post on here each day, maybe it’s time to get professional help in addition to this forum. I’m sure you’ve seen other posters where you felt this was necessary.

tan235
06-02-18, 05:30
Agreed, absolutely - I just wonder how effective it is really? It's hard as some of us are a bit more obsessed than others and I understand that.... it's a fine balance between being fair and being fair ;) Maybe I don't think it's fair as I have OCD as well.

pulisa
06-02-18, 08:15
Has your HA been challenged before, tan? Has your doctor ever suggested therapy?

tan235
06-02-18, 08:30
I'm in therapy - but I've had this for 30 years so it's a long rode (potentially) to recovery!

pulisa
06-02-18, 08:34
Does your therapist know that you are a frequent poster of symptoms on here?

swajj
06-02-18, 08:53
I think everyone getting frustrated with this should go and look at crazygirls thread about blood in her urine. She has posted updates on there frequently since she started the thread in December. People are still reading her thread and responding to her. So one thread is all you need.

jojo2316
06-02-18, 09:30
I think everyone getting frustrated with this should go and look at crazygirls thread about blood in her urine. She has posted updates on there frequently since she started the thread in December. People are still reading her thread and responding to her. So one thread is all you need.

But crazygirl is updating about the same issue so it remains relevant. If she wanted to start a new discussion it would be confusing to tag it on the end of a thread about blood in urine.

I agree with Tan - I think NMP is just creating problems with this initiative.
I understand that some people post repeatedly about wildly different worries, but I think that is easy to see when they are starting regular new threads. And it is totally legitimate to call them up on it.

NMP was working just fine as it was IMO

(It is perfectly easy to get an idea of someone's history by searching their past posts, as I often do...)

Elen
06-02-18, 09:35
Tan copied from your previous thread

18/1/18 - started thread about diarrhea, weight loss, and IBS
18/1/18 - started another thread clarifying the diarrhea is due to H. Pylori
20/1/18 - started a thread about taking antibiotics to treat H. Pylori
20/1/18 - started another thread about taking antibiotics for H. Pylori
21/1/18 - started a thread about getting C. Diff while on antibiotics
22/1/18 - started a thread asking about body’s reaction on antibiotics for H. Pylori
1/2/18 - started a thread about diarrhea post antibiotics
2/2/18 - started another thread about diarrhea post antibiotics
5/2/18 - started another thread about C. Diff and watery stool post antibiotics

If you read all the threads they’re all about the same HA spiral - order of events based on all the threads: tan235 had diarrhea, was diagnosed with H. Pylori and prescribes antibiotics, didn’t want to take them, took the antibiotics, worried antibiotics may cause C. Diff, still had watery stool after antibiotics, got tested for C. Diff and was negative, still watery stool so now think it might be a false negative.

All the threads together (all posted within 3 weeks time) gives a lot of context and a complete history to what tan235 is going through, which I think is very informative and helpful for offering support. Furthermore if someone is posting twice a day on the same thing, I think it makes sense the threads to be combined.

Elen
06-02-18, 09:38
Why do posters assume that it is up to the people responding to their thread to search back through the post history, go into numerous posts to see what has been said in the past?

Carys
06-02-18, 09:55
but I may need to source elsewhere for my support.Well, thats entirely your prerogative. Its a free 'service' you get here with willing generous volunteers (in terms of admin and other members) providing their time to assist you...but if you don't like the rules, then finding somewhere else you feel works better for you is always ok. I don't mean this rudely, but to remind you that this site is run by people who can make choices about how they run it.

I think its a good innitiative. There was an example a few weeks ago (well there are examples daily, almost hourly actually), someone who had the most minor of physical issues that they talked about with people here for post after post after post. I replied, others replied and then I looked in their post history and they had posted about the very same thing over a year ago, that had resolved just fine. After I knew that it affected how I responded to their thread. The point is it doesn't matter if you are worried about antibiotics, diahorrea, a buzzing shoulder, a tingling finger, a pain in the head.....its not relevant what the physical complaint is. With respect jojo, you are coming from the angle that people are coming to the thread to tell you if you do or don't have the physical illness you fear, that is not what it should be about - hence the innitiative change.

jojo2316
06-02-18, 10:10
Well, sort of, carys. But mainly I think it's probably just simpler left as it is. It's not hard to search someone's post history, and if they are really regular posters it's right there on the page for all to see.

Elen
06-02-18, 10:19
Well, sort of, carys. But mainly I think it's probably just simpler left as it is. It's not hard to search someone's post history, and if they are really regular posters it's right there on the page for all to see.

And also it is not so hard for posters to see if they have posted on this topic before and add onto it.

Carys
06-02-18, 10:27
HI Jojo,

I see where you are coming from, and of course people can look at posting history, but its easier not to have to...right...as Elen said above ?
Can you see that part of this is to get the HA poster to be aware of their own posting behaviour? Starting a new thread with 'but this time it's a black fingernail', 'this time its a buzzing finger', 'this time its a rare illness caught from a mouse running over the decking'...doesn't mean they ARE separate things, they are manifestations of the same condition.

But mainly I think it's probably just simpler left as it isWell, its simpler for the original poster yes, short-term, they just log in stick a post on and wait for the replies. Its not easier for ADMIN though, they are struggling.Its also not easier for those replying to the OP.

jojo2316
06-02-18, 11:12
I suppose I don't fully understand what is involved with managing this site. The Admins do a wonderful job and deserve appreciation !

Mindprison
06-02-18, 11:33
Changes like this are needed because it's causing problems. As has been said, it shouldn't be our responsibility to go chasing every poster's history for a pattern and wondering if you've replied before.

As far as i'm aware this site was never meant to provide reassurance about a malady of medical symptoms or illnesses. It was to provide a place to talk about anxiety.

A vast majority of new threads aren't even admitting they have an anxiety problem and purposefully dodge questions asked to them about whether they are getting treatment for it.

Also, carys is correct in saying that it doesn't matter what your symptoms are. Unless you specifically know for a fact that there is a medical reason for it we're going to have to assume it's caused by anxiety.

Some of us have been discussing it on another thread. It's obvious that we're starting to get too hardened from all of this and come across as unsupportive. But as someone else said there, we are being expected to provide a therapist level of support when almost all of us have mental health problems of our own.

It needs to change, both for our benefit and for the benefit of those constantly seeking reassurance.

Fishmanpa
06-02-18, 13:02
(It is perfectly easy to get an idea of someone's history by searching their past posts, as I often do...)

As it is perfectly easy to find the previous post you made on the same subject. You can even change the title as I did here.

Does your therapist know that you are a frequent poster of symptoms on here?

Valid question based on the post history.

Positive thoughts

cofo
06-02-18, 13:08
Changes like this are needed because it's causing problems. As has been said, it shouldn't be our responsibility to go chasing every poster's history for a pattern and wondering if you've replied before.

As far as i'm aware this site was never meant to provide reassurance about a malady of medical symptoms or illnesses. It was to provide a place to talk about anxiety.

A vast majority of new threads aren't even admitting they have an anxiety problem and purposefully dodge questions asked to them about whether they are getting treatment for it.

Also, carys is correct in saying that it doesn't matter what your symptoms are. Unless you specifically know for a fact that there is a medical reason for it we're going to have to assume it's caused by anxiety.

Some of us have been discussing it on another thread. It's obvious that we're starting to get too hardened from all of this and come across as unsupportive. But as someone else said there, we are being expected to provide a therapist level of support when almost all of us have mental health problems of our own.

It needs to change, both for our benefit and for the benefit of those constantly seeking reassurance.

the line is blurred when you have HA. don't you think? i mean that is the WHOLE issue. you truly do think that there is a real medical reason for your worry. for me coming here helps calm that panic so i can work on the real issue, whether it's getting the courage to see a dr or stopping the reassurance train, or what.

i think a new thread is ok if it is totally about a new worry or a new thought process, etc.

also, i don't expect a therapist level of support, i just come here because it's nice to have someone who has been there and understands. i see a therapist and unfortunately have cycles of anxiety. i don't know if you are ever cured, but you can learn to manage it. this site for me is like group therapy. talking about issues that others may have gone through, and helping each other cope.

if you are becoming less sensitive and less empathetic, you must be far removed from your HA and that is fantastic. getting hardened might make you less effective for sure. but i haven't experienced that with any posters. i have had some tough love type responses, but i knew they were meant to help me.

axolotl
06-02-18, 13:17
i think a new thread is ok if it is totally about a new worry or a new thought process, etc.

It's never really a new worry though.

"I've got x mundane symptom, I'm terrified I've got y" isn't a new worry.

Yes, maybe if someone's having actual alarming, medically-significant new symptoms, but not every ache, pain, rash, spot, bruise, mark, headache, nosebleed, ingrowing hair, funny smell, weird taste, visual floater...

There are posters on here who have literally posted over 200 discrete posts about perceived symptoms.

And yes, those extreme posters are maybe making us too hard on others less egregious examples, but it's clear the over-helpful reassurance-giving attitude we've had is at best not working, and at worst giving people an unhealthy place to wallow when they should be using strategies to stop the cycle, like opening a free bar at the back of an AA meeting.

MyNameIsTerry
06-02-18, 13:44
If you tag everyone on one big thread you will lose the history, that's obvious isn't it? Or will you read through 50 pages to see the different issues? I think a year from now we would all scan back a few pages.

Seeing a quick history of threads does give you an idea of the person before you delve.

Then we have the elephant in the room -members complaining a thread is 50 pages long. Catch 22.

But hang on, I thought Nic said combining threads was to cut down on duplication? Is it now everything because this seems to be what some are arguing? :shrug:

Josh1234
06-02-18, 13:50
But crazygirl is updating about the same issue so it remains relevant. If she wanted to start a new discussion it would be confusing to tag it on the end of a thread about blood in urine.

I agree with Tan - I think NMP is just creating problems with this initiative.
I understand that some people post repeatedly about wildly different worries, but I think that is easy to see when they are starting regular new threads. And it is totally legitimate to call them up on it.

NMP was working just fine as it was IMO

It's all the same issue - health anxiety. We are not doctors. We are not here to give you medical advice. So it doesn't matter if you're scared of rabies one day and toe cancer the next - it's all the same issue.

Bigboyuk
06-02-18, 14:00
If you tag everyone on one big thread you will lose the history, that's obvious isn't it? Or will you read through 50 pages to see the different issues? I think a year from now we would all scan back a few pages.

Seeing a quick history of threads does give you an idea of the person before you delve.

Then we have the elephant in the room -members complaining a thread is 50 pages long. Catch 22.

But hang on, I thought Nic said combining threads was to cut down on duplication? Is it now everything because this seems to be what some are arguing? :shrug: The way I see it there a tech problem with combining threads at the mo and actually if and I say it again if some posters stop begging for reassurance and we also don't feed their cycle of self destruction then this would help greatly so it's down to each individual member to make changes too :) ATB

MyNameIsTerry
06-02-18, 14:16
The way I see it there a tech problem with combining threads at the mo and actually if and I say it again if some posters stop begging for reassurance and we also don't feed their cycle of self destruction then this would help greatly so it's down to each individual member to make changes too :) ATB

When they fix the tech problem the same questions will exist, as will the issues. Some seem to want long support threads, as some have done on other boards, but you will lose sight of the number of of problems on that thread. If that is how it goes there mustn't be any complaining about long threads or having too read loads of pages...but there will be, it already happens.

It's a matter of never pleasing everyone as Venus said on the other thread.

Agreed it comes down to individuals too but it's very complicated given how severe some can be. I've always said I'm glad I don't have reassurance seeking compulsions because some of the frustration seen would make things worse to me as the arguments would be upsetting too (obviously I realise that cuts both ways).

Bigboyuk
06-02-18, 14:29
When they fix the tech problem the same questions will exist, as will the issues. Some seem to want long support threads, as some have done on other boards, but you will lose sight of the number of of problems on that thread. If that is how it goes there mustn't be any complaining about long threads or having too read loads of pages...but there will be, it already happens.

It's a matter of never pleasing everyone as Venus said on the other thread.

Agreed it comes down to individuals too but it's very complicated given how severe some can be. I've always said I'm glad I don't have reassurance seeking compulsions because some of the frustration seen would make things worse to me as the arguments would be upsetting too (obviously I realise that cuts both ways). Well yes this is true, Iam not sure it's possible in one long thread if the title can be changed so the OP can rename their new problem? Yes you cant please everyone all the time Admin and mods are run off their feet more now I think spending huge amounts of time on one thread etc so do understand their concerns too :) It's some thing that will need addressing eventually though:) ATB

Elen
06-02-18, 14:43
Yes you cant please everyone all the time Admin and mods are run off their feet more now I think spending huge amounts of time on one thread etc so do understand their concerns too :) It's some thing that will need addressing eventually though:) ATB

Sorry Bigboy can I just correct you on this, as you have said something similar on other occasions. The thread you are referring to is not the problem and is in reality less frustrating to deal with than a number of other posts on the board.

Bigboyuk
06-02-18, 15:45
Sorry Bigboy can I just correct you on this, as you have said something similar on other occasions. The thread you are referring to is not the problem and is in reality less frustrating to deal with than a number of other posts on the board.Of course you can Elen but by judging a few replies (very recent ones) from other posters I would say different But I will leave it there :) ATB

MyNameIsTerry
06-02-18, 16:25
Well yes this is true, Iam not sure it's possible in one long thread if the title can be changed so the OP can rename their new problem? Yes you cant please everyone all the time Admin and mods are run off their feet more now I think spending huge amounts of time on one thread etc so do understand their concerns too :) It's some thing that will need addressing eventually though:) ATB

But that doesn't work either. Admin have to change the title as we can only add a new one above a post.

But imagine a rabies thread that is changed months later to ALS then to bowel cancer then to SFI. Someone joins the thread to help with experience with rabies and posts a well meaning post on the end that is now irrelevant in other than any mental health elements.

Some people are saying they join threads relevant to their experiences. It's the same as why some post on say the OCD board about non health issues.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but there are downsides either way.

---------- Post added at 16:25 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

Of course you can Elen but by judging a few replies (very recent ones) from other posters I would say different But I will leave it there :) ATB

Only Admin know what their problems are though. Our observations may be well off the mark unless they explain their side to us.

pulisa
06-02-18, 16:36
Maybe threads should have no titles at all...Just be under the individual's username? One thread for each member on the HA board. You have to read the thread to follow the story-no easy way to compare symptoms unless you read the individual's story..

Would be highly unpopular for obvious reasons.

Bigboyuk
06-02-18, 16:44
This is a test and it does appear to work so perhaps worth ago if members can be bothered to make the small changes necessary Yes ok the main title doesn't change but the sub title can be changed where necessary ATB

Elen
06-02-18, 16:50
I have already posted this on another thread, but here is MY reasoning for merging posts or requesting that posters add onto a previous post in the abscence of the ability to merge.

Ironically the op of this thread posted a very similar thread yesterday lol

There a number of reasons for wanting to merge threads.

The poster who continually posts about the same fear. They get answers. Post again. Some nice person comes along to offer advice that has been offered before.

Once person I challenged yesterday about their posting on one problem admitted that they may have made A post in the past. When I checked their history I found in excess of 30 posts. In this case they had deleted every previous post and used a new post to hook someone into replying.

The other is the poster who posts about a different fear day after day. Again they hook someone into replying in each case.

We do try to use common sense and it really tends to be very frequent posters who are merged.

We try to be fair to everyone, but that includes the members who are replying to things without realising that it is all been said previously ad nauseoum.

In the absence in our ability to merge atm is it too much to ask posters to make an effort to help us keep the board manageable for everyone?

MyNameIsTerry
06-02-18, 16:57
This is a test and it does appear to work so perhaps worth ago if members can be bothered to make the small changes necessary Yes ok the main title doesn't change but the sub title can be changed where necessary ATB

Works fine for short threads but those wanting one big long one will have to watch it constantly or read from the start or go back pages, etc. Phil6 does it mostly on his GAD thread (not subtitles) but how many joined half way and read back first...my money is on zippo.

It does at least include the subtitle if you use the Reply function.

Elen
06-02-18, 17:08
When I merge threads I can pick the post title that I want the thread to appear under and I do try to make that the best possible match to the latest post.

If people would like the title of their post changed Admin can do that as well.

It is not a perfect fix but until the merge facility is back it is the best option I can think off.

But tbh the op of this thread is someone who has posted repeatedly on what is basically the same issue.

And for clarity the posts have been "Closed" not "Deleted" or "Cancelled". This is to allow the poster the opportunity to copy and paste that post into a thread of their choice.

lyndau63
06-02-18, 18:03
I'm in therapy - but I've had this for 30 years so it's a long rode (potentially) to recovery!

I too have been like this for over 30 years, 37 to be exact. I have had counselling, CBT, meds, prayer, you name it! At times I can stay on an even keel for weeks and then i have a bad spell when I lurch from one thing to another. I have had some very kind people support me on here but I do get fed up if posts are moved to 'symptoms ' when the issue is probably HA. It rather contradicts the idea that all posts need to be in the same thread. I agree that it is confusing if they are under the wrong heading for the thing I am anxious about. Again, if I want to help someone, I want to help with the thing they are posting about. I might not know anything about their original problem so I don't read the post if it is under the wrong heading.

nomorepanic
06-02-18, 18:12
You can change the title of your own thread as well.

Alex is looking at the merge problem so we hope to be able to use that again soon!

lyndau63
06-02-18, 19:23
Okay, that's sounds better but how do you do that?

nomorepanic
06-02-18, 19:48
Okay, that's sounds better but how do you do that?

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=109759

Elen
06-02-18, 19:58
So now no excuse for people not to manage their own posts.

NervUs
06-02-18, 22:00
I still don't get this policy. If you are just constantly adding to a big long thread, the latest issue is going to jump back pages as soon as there are a few responses. New people are going to have to scroll through to find the most recent addition to a long post. LOgistically, this is going to get old, and people are not going to get the support that might help them.

The only way I can *understand* this policy is if there is a way to make the program jump to the latest comment from the owner of the thread. I understand you want commenters to understand a history of problematic behavior but, I believe, that is implied in the very definition of this board. If it's not easy for users to find the latest post easily, I imagine people will just stop reading, especially of the lower profile members whose names aren't recognizable.

nomorepanic
06-02-18, 22:10
Better that than the same post done every few days and the same questions asked over and over again that have already been covered though.

Members waste more time replying to posts that have been replied to before than reading back a few pages.

ElectricAlice
06-02-18, 22:39
Yeah I kind of agree with the OP.
Why not just let everyone post what they want to post? People can choose whether or not they want to reply to the posts or not. It can be extremely helpful to write down how you're feeling, in a cathartic way, and for some people this may be the only help they are receiving.

If a topic is exactly the same, then yes combine the posts. But if it is regarding a new topic, I disagree the posts should be combined. Yes it is all related, but different fears are dealt with differently. Also, instead of lumping all the posts together (which really gives in impersonal unhelpful approach) - Why not give advice to curb reassurance seeking behaviour?

I have mentioned here before that reassurance seeking on these forums doesn't help. It's like googling. It helps short term but doesn't last. But offering advice and help to people again and again is helpful. Offering support and techniques to help their health anxiety.

If you don't want to reply - no one is forcing you?

MyNameIsTerry
07-02-18, 01:58
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=109759

I've done that before and had the same result as the person in that thread. Just tried it on the test forum and it does change the thread title too. It looks like something has changed to allow us that privilege and that's why I've always said we can't.

Bonus! :yesyes:

AntsyVee
07-02-18, 02:15
Hey, admins, I have a question:

Is the multiple threads from one poster a problem outside of the HA and symptoms board? Or is this only confined to those boards?

tan235
07-02-18, 07:56
Yeah I kind of agree with the OP.
Why not just let everyone post what they want to post? People can choose whether or not they want to reply to the posts or not. It can be extremely helpful to write down how you're feeling, in a cathartic way, and for some people this may be the only help they are receiving.

I was thinking this too - I understand how hard it must be for NMP to run this site, I mean we are all seeking assurance, asking questions, letting of steam and some on here like Fishmapa and others are truly here to help .. which is amazing.

I appreciate all the work admin does, I truly mean that, I just don't believe that the merging of threads is plausible... ? will work? will freak us out even more!
It's hard to go through the pages as for some - and yes ME INCLUDED these pages end up being 6,7-8 pages long and then I have to scroll back to find the 'new issue' of the person seeking assurance - otherwise I'm helping someone with what is an old issue... as it doesn't really specifically state the poster has asked a NEW but similar question.... or a ( jump to updated question)

I believe that if someone is posting the same issue over and over again then maybe it's a case of people getting tired and choosing NOT to answer, I know for me i ignore questions that i think are trivial - like 'what is this tiny pink spot on my thumb - photo attached'.. and sorry to that poster for not responding to your post.... But I'll get the message if no-one responds...

It's hard to please everyone and you can't - so what-ever works NMP admin and I appreciate this page and the people on it but let me say from one HA to Admin for HA - all my posts even if they are about different ailments will ALL be the same .... I know that as it all stems from the same place - ANXIETY - so you'll find the 'new' links and keep merging threads and I'll keep getting lost.... because truth is all of us with HA talk in circles... big, fat, round, circles.

---------- Post added at 07:56 ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 ----------

Tan copied from your previous thread

18/1/18 - started thread about diarrhea, weight loss, and IBS
18/1/18 - started another thread clarifying the diarrhea is due to H. Pylori
20/1/18 - started a thread about taking antibiotics to treat H. Pylori
20/1/18 - started another thread about taking antibiotics for H. Pylori
21/1/18 - started a thread about getting C. Diff while on antibiotics
22/1/18 - started a thread asking about body’s reaction on antibiotics for H. Pylori
1/2/18 - started a thread about diarrhea post antibiotics
2/2/18 - started another thread about diarrhea post antibiotics
5/2/18 - started another thread about C. Diff and watery stool post antibiotics

If you read all the threads they’re all about the same HA spiral - order of events based on all the threads: tan235 had diarrhea, was diagnosed with H. Pylori and prescribes antibiotics, didn’t want to take them, took the antibiotics, worried antibiotics may cause C. Diff, still had watery stool after antibiotics, got tested for C. Diff and was negative, still watery stool so now think it might be a false negative.

All the threads together (all posted within 3 weeks time) gives a lot of context and a complete history to what tan235 is going through, which I think is very informative and helpful for offering support. Furthermore if someone is posting twice a day on the same thing, I think it makes sense the threads to be combined.

aggghhhh thanks for showing me that ...... definitely a pattern going on there that needs addressing

Fishmanpa
07-02-18, 09:55
aggghhhh thanks for showing me that ...... definitely a pattern going on there that needs addressing

Respectfully tan... you have a 5 year history of the same patterns. I agree, your anxiety needs addressing.

Positive thoughts

jojo2316
07-02-18, 10:14
Respectfully tan... you have a 5 year history of the same patterns. I agree, your anxiety needs addressing.

Positive thoughts
Arrgh! You can always rely on FMP to say it as it is!! :yesyes::hugs:

Elen
07-02-18, 10:15
Hey, admins, I have a question:

Is the multiple threads from one poster a problem outside of the HA and symptoms board? Or is this only confined to those boards?

The majority of the repetitive posting behavior is on these boards

AntsyVee
08-02-18, 02:21
The majority of the repetitive posting behavior is on these boards

Well, then I think that the suggestions that you collected on the other thread should be applied to those boards first. Give it a couple months and see if it makes a difference before applying them to all boards on the forum.

You ladies can't kill yourselves trying to make changes.