PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal too see a quick positive afterimage?

Zreeper
06-02-18, 18:38
Hi all!

I have anxiety beacuse of my vision, is it normal too see like a quick afterimage after looking away fast or changing focus with eyes?

Like if i look at my mobile screens time or some object at the screen and look away fast i still se it for like 0,3 secs?

Another example if i have my keys at the table and look away quick to the wall i can still se a glimt of them.

the symptoms of this came after i was watching a clip on youtube about palinopsia and started to look if i had it, after a couple of days i started to actually see it myself, i had this symptom for a couple of months now.

axolotl
06-02-18, 18:41
Yes, it is.

ServerError
06-02-18, 18:41
That is entirely normal. It couldn't be more normal. If it were any more normal I'd have to call the normal police.

BrokenGirl
06-02-18, 18:43
After images are perfectly normal, we all get them.
And I find that mine seem to get worse when my anxiety is high. Stress and anxiety definitely effects my eyes so I wouldn't worry if that's the only symptom you have.

axolotl
06-02-18, 18:45
I had to look up what palinopsia is. Guessing you were searching YouTube for it because it's a symptom of something scary you're suspecting for one reason or another?

Question I've got to ask - is fixating on diseases something that happens a lot, and do you get any help for anxiety?

JoeCanuck
06-02-18, 18:50
There are optical illusions that kids do in school that rely on this effect. It's caused by different receptors in your eye becoming depleted and "recharging", and it happens constantly while you're looking at something, you just don't notice because you're looking at the same "image".

You can get a really pronounced version of this if you start at a checkerboard for a minute or two, then look at a white wall. You'll see basically a negative image of the checkerboard for a few seconds before everything resets and goes back to normal.

Zreeper
06-02-18, 18:54
I had to look up what palinopsia is. Guessing you were searching YouTube for it because it's a symptom of something scary you're suspecting for one reason or another?

Question I've got to ask - is fixating on diseases something that happens a lot, and do you get any help for anxiety?

I am a very anxious person overall. But what you mean is that its normal too see an afterimage when looking first at example a sign or an object, you can see it really quick when focusing on something other place like a wall. this happens really quick

or example look at a cars tire and then look up in the sky, some glimt of the tire follows to the sky for a 0,3 seconds

axolotl
06-02-18, 18:58
I am a very anxious person overall. But what you mean is that its normal too see an afterimage when looking first at example a sign or an object, you can see it really quick when focusing on something other place like a wall. this happens really quick

or example look at a cars tire and then look up in the sky, some glimt of the tire follows to the sky for a 0,3 seconds

We've already answered your question. This is all totally normal ways a human eye works.

I had an eye-based fear a while ago and it's amazing how much weird and wonderful stuff your brain filters out, that you only notice when you start looking for it. Eyes are imperfect things. Brains are very clever. But if we start telling our brain to notice things and stop filtering them out it will.

You didn't really answer my questions - you don't just accidentally watch a video about palinopsia, you must have had something in mind? And have you ever taken any measures to address your anxiety

Zreeper
06-02-18, 19:00
There are optical illusions that kids do in school that rely on this effect. It's caused by different receptors in your eye becoming depleted and "recharging", and it happens constantly while you're looking at something, you just don't notice because you're looking at the same "image".

You can get a really pronounced version of this if you start at a checkerboard for a minute or two, then look at a white wall. You'll see basically a negative image of the checkerboard for a few seconds before everything resets and goes back to normal.

i know that its normal white negative afterimages, but i mean positve after images like if you look at your mobile screen in complete darkness, look specificly at an object like an app or something, then quickly change your focus outside the mobile screen. is it normal to see a glimt of the object in same colour but much more dimmer? for like 0,2 secs. If i watch my iphones closed screen time. i can still see it when focusing outside the mobile really quick

axolotl
06-02-18, 19:04
i know that its normal white negative afterimages, but i mean positve after images like if you look at your mobile screen in complete darkness, look specificly at an object like an app or something, then quickly change your focus outside the mobile screen. is it normal to see a glimt of the object in same colour but much more dimmer? for like 0,2 secs. If i watch my iphones closed screen time. i can still see it when focusing outside the mobile really quick

Yeah but...

Yeah but...

What you're experiencing is normal.

Why won't you answer my questions?

Zreeper
06-02-18, 19:07
We've already answered your question. This is all totally normal ways a human eye works.

I had an eye-based fear a while ago and it's amazing how much weird and wonderful stuff your brain filters out, that you only notice when you start looking for it. Eyes are imperfect things. Brains are very clever. But if we start telling our brain to notice things and stop filtering them out it will.

You didn't really answer my questions - you don't just accidentally watch a video about palinopsia, you must have had something in mind? And have you ever taken any measures to address your anxiety
Thanks, to adress my aniexty from the start. in september i was really stupid and took ectasy at a party. I took a little bit too much and i ended up in hospital but more beacuse i was stressed about taken the drug.
i did recover quick from this. But then like month later i was reading on internet about something called HPPD wich is hallucegenic perseption disorder.
And some effects from this is like static vision and like palinopsia. I started to look for this symtoms and it started actually popping up. Now i cant get rid of this symotpms constantly obsessing over my vision.

axolotl
06-02-18, 19:12
Thanks, to adress my aniexty from the start. in september i was really stupid and took ectasy at a party. I took a little bit too much and i ended up in hospital but more beacuse i was stressed about taken the drug.
i did recover quick from this. But then like month later i was reading on internet about something called HPPD wich is hallucegenic perseption disorder.
And some effects from this is like static vision and like palinopsia. I started to look for this symtoms and it started actually popping up. Now i cant get rid of this symotpms constantly obsessing over my vision.

OK, sorry to push you on this but it's harder to help people if we don't know context.

I'm not saying it's a clever thing to do, but some people take recreational drugs a lot and never worry. You're obviously feeling guilt and stupidity over taking ecstasy, unduly so IMHO. If taking drugs causes anxiety make sure you don't do it again, and if you do try and be more responsible (though obviously the best advice is still don't).

But you've said yourself you noticed symptoms after watching the YouTube video? Doesn't that tell you something?

I'd seriously consider talking to a doctor about anxiety, it's not normal to get this obsessed over something, and you have said you have a history of anxiety. And try and stop overanalysing your vision - it will seriously screw you up as you'll find all kind of oddness and defects that are perfectly normal.

Zreeper
06-02-18, 19:40
OK, sorry to push you on this but it's harder to help people if we don't know context.

I'm not saying it's a clever thing to do, but some people take recreational drugs a lot and never worry. You're obviously feeling guilt and stupidity over taking ecstasy, unduly so IMHO. If taking drugs causes anxiety make sure you don't do it again, and if you do try and be more responsible (though obviously the best advice is still don't).

But you've said yourself you noticed symptoms after watching the YouTube video? Doesn't that tell you something?

I'd seriously consider talking to a doctor about anxiety, it's not normal to get this obsessed over something, and you have said you have a history of anxiety. And try and stop overanalysing your vision - it will seriously screw you up as you'll find all kind of oddness and defects that are perfectly normal.

Thanks, for your response, why i am so anixous is beacuse i asked people the same thing, and they cannot see the afterimage, therefore im extra anxious. i asked my dad, he cant see it, nether my mum or friends.

i asked them too look first at the door knob and then look to the wall to see if they get a quick afterimage in the same colour stumuli not negative, they dont.

Bigboyuk
06-02-18, 21:56
Hi Zreeper it was probably the extasy as you took too much not condoning it either so be careful in the future and you don't have to be like your friends just because everyone else is doing it :) I am with Axolotl talk to your dr and tell him what happened and get help for your HA let us know how you get on ATB

Zreeper
06-02-18, 22:37
Hi Zreeper it was probably the extasy as you took too much not condoning it either so be careful in the future and you don't have to be like your friends just because everyone else is doing it :) I am with Axolotl talk to your dr and tell him what happened and get help for your HA let us know how you get on ATB

you mean ectasy made me see this afterimage? dont you see it?

Bigboyuk
06-02-18, 22:52
you mean ectasy made me see this afterimage? dont you see it? The thing is was your vision ok till you took ectasy?
its a very powerful drug or have you always had that vision problem its quite possible the drug didn't help though. ATB

Zreeper
06-02-18, 23:06
The thing is was your vision ok till you took ectasy?
its a very powerful drug or have you always had that vision problem its quite possible the drug didn't help though. ATB
i never tought of it, until after the drug trying to look for symotoms and i saw it, if you watch your keys ex, and look fast att the wall, you still see them?

axolotl
07-02-18, 10:51
f you watch your keys ex, and look fast att the wall, you still see them?

We're not going to start doing experiments for you.

Essentially all you're seeing is after-images. Everyone gets after-images.

No-one here can get in your head and see what you're seeing, and tell you if it's weird or not. And no-one here are opticians or experts in drug abuse.

If you are concerned see a doctor, but don't just get reassurance about symptoms, mention the anxiety and obsession this us causing.

trying to look for symptoms

This says it all doesn't it?