PDA

View Full Version : Back pain on and off! Worried!

Howanxious
07-02-18, 01:03
Hi, people! I'm worried about a pain in my middle back that comes and goes almost every week. It's a weird pain, specifically located in the left side of my back. It isn't an horrible pain, but it's really annoying sometimes. Sometimes when I lay down the pain gets better, but it's noticeable when i'm sitting or standing :huh:
I don't know if it's something related to my posture, spine, nerves... But I'm really worried that could be something related to my stomach (like an ulcer) or my pancreas... I don't have any other symptoms, but my anxious mind thinks the worst. Like I said, the pain comes and goes and it usually starts at night (in the morning the pain doesn't exists at all). Anyone has something to say? Please!

clarisse
07-02-18, 02:06
Hi it does sound like your posture.If it was something other than muscle it wouldn't go away. Try applying heat and see if it helps. But above all try to be aware of sitting/standing correctly and not slouching.

eevee
07-02-18, 03:54
I have a sore back (upper back, shoulders and between shoulder blades) that comes and goes too. Usually it'll act up at least once a month. I think it's from bad postures as sometimes I'm using the laptop while laying on my stomach. Don't think that's good for the back and arms!

Have you tried massaging the area when it hurts? And hot shower would help too.

Howanxious
07-02-18, 06:17
Hi it does sound like your posture.If it was something other than muscle it wouldn't go away. Try applying heat and see if it helps. But above all try to be aware of sitting/standing correctly and not slouching.

I don't have the best posture at all, but what concernes me it's that it isn't a typical muscular pain, it's different... But i'll try something.

I have a sore back (upper back, shoulders and between shoulder blades) that comes and goes too. Usually it'll act up at least once a month. I think it's from bad postures as sometimes I'm using the laptop while laying on my stomach. Don't think that's good for the back and arms!

Have you tried massaging the area when it hurts? And hot shower would help too.

No, I didn't tried anything, I just like to worry hahaha. I will try to do something about it, but my mind keeps telling me that the problem isn't exactly my back.

Kaede
07-02-18, 13:03
I have been told once by my GP that back pain that comes and goes rather than being persistent is psychosomatic more often than not. And you did mention that you are anxious and back pain is a very common anxiety symptom.

My mum has serious back issues and when it comes it's a persistent pain and she is not able to tie her shoes when it happens. When I was in the depths of anxiety/depression, I would wake up in the middle of the night with back pain and it hurt like hell, but it was not constant, it would come and go.

Annaboodle
07-02-18, 14:50
I get back pain like you're describing. I had a couple of days thinking about pancreatic issues (I have a history of alcoholism so it's one of my fears) after I read one too many threads on here. I worked through it. Eventually rationalising that it was most likely muscular, I started doing yoga stretches that have worked with any back pain in the past. Look up "basic yoga back stretches" or similar on YouTube. There's loads and it works, but only if you start doing them for just a few minutes each day (I'm utterly rubbish at sticking at things but when I do some basic back stretches it works). Stick a hot water bottle on the pain when sitting a few times a day. A few days of that and usually any pain I have shifts.

Howanxious
08-02-18, 01:51
I have been told once by my GP that back pain that comes and goes rather than being persistent is psychosomatic more often than not. And you did mention that you are anxious and back pain is a very common anxiety symptom.

My mum has serious back issues and when it comes it's a persistent pain and she is not able to tie her shoes when it happens. When I was in the depths of anxiety/depression, I would wake up in the middle of the night with back pain and it hurt like hell, but it was not constant, it would come and go.

Yes, I know I'm very anxious when my body has any ache, but this feels so real that makes it really hard to think that it can be psychosomatic lol. I'll try to manage my mind and stop thinking that I'm having some kind of terrible ulcer in my stomach :wacko:

I get back pain like you're describing. I had a couple of days thinking about pancreatic issues (I have a history of alcoholism so it's one of my fears) after I read one too many threads on here. I worked through it. Eventually rationalising that it was most likely muscular, I started doing yoga stretches that have worked with any back pain in the past. Look up "basic yoga back stretches" or similar on YouTube. There's loads and it works, but only if you start doing them for just a few minutes each day (I'm utterly rubbish at sticking at things but when I do some basic back stretches it works). Stick a hot water bottle on the pain when sitting a few times a day. A few days of that and usually any pain I have shifts.

Thank you so much for your advise, I'll try some yoga things. Yesterday I've put some heat in that part of my back and it seemed to help but tonight the pain started once again (a little less painful), I'll try it again.