PDA

View Full Version : a newby

hermit
07-12-04, 22:12
hi everyone,
Its nice to find a site that has a messege board and chat as well as alot of great information. Actually though this is the 2nd time Ive ever read about what I have. Ive allways just delt with it since I was a young teen. I have panic attacks and anziety mixed somewhat. I have the most common, which is not being able to talk in front of groups of people. stage fright. I panic and will either run or walk very fast out of the room. I allso have panic attacks when I speak to men. Not all men, just some. I do not know why it picks some and not others. I do not even really know why it happens. But when it does I feel butterflys in my stomach, my eyesight and head feels disoriented, I get flushed and my head and neck start shaking, with my neck getting very very tight and sore. I cant speak, and have a very strong urge to run or get away. It is very embarrasing, and I dont feel like I have control over it or when or with whom it happens. I am a bussiness women as well and it hurts me at work as well as in my personall life when dating, or meeting someone. I cant eat in front of men either, mainly though ones Im dating. I believe I know one factor in my childhood that has caused some of it, and also I believe I have increases in adrenaline that are not normal, and come at the wrong times. You see when I was young, my mother use to make sure we looked perfect all the time, and if we made a mistake in public, restaurant, like spilling a drink etc or anywhere, she would get mad, and say everyone is staring, why did you do that? She would say that was so stupid, etc etc. Me saying this is not me whining about what my parents did or didnt do. We all make mistakes with our kids. Ive let all that go, but I believe her continuously teaching us that we were allways being judged by others didnt help matters now and was a contributing factor. I allso had to be carefull with every word I said, and pick my words carefully as well as faciall expressions. likes and dislikes to my father. If they didnt match his he didnt like it, and then came my fear. Very controlling. Another factor in the why I think I have this. Could be right and could be totally off base on this being a factor. So here I am, with one more problem to beat. But I would do it all over again, because learning to overcome, and getting through the hard times I believe has only made me a stronger and better person, and more empathetic to others, etc. So this is my story, and Ive read other peoples fight to get through this as well, and I understand you all have sacraficed alot because of this disorder and other disorders like it. But nothing is unbeatable. Im scared to deal with it, and face it, and I know alot of others are to, but we all know were not alone, and we all can reach down deep inside ourselves and find the courage to beat it, together. Thanks for letting me tell a little about my story, and thanks for letting me hear about yours. Its great to be here. :)

Meg
07-12-04, 22:33
Hi hermit,

You're totally correct with all you're saying about the reasons why you are as you are.

Well done for doing so well at trying to overcome these issues . Sounds like you're doing well too !

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Karen
07-12-04, 22:54
Hi Hermit

Welcome to the site. I also have social phobia and the fear of talking is something I am working to overcome. My fear is also worse with men, for several reasons, but I also have a very controlling father, which I think contributes to this.

I also think you are right in your assessment of where your issues stem from. I have learnt that a lot of my current difficulties stem from childhood and from the difficult relationship with my parents.

You have a really positive attitude towards overcoming this and I am sure you will get there.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

seh1980
07-12-04, 23:02
hello Hermit,

Welcome to the site!! I'm sure you will get loads of support here.

Sarah :D

trac67
08-12-04, 01:40
welcome Hermit,
You will find that site will really help you it has helped me more than i can say, and i have chatted to some of the nicest people i have ever had the pleasure to meet. Good luck with everything
Trac[8D]

vernon
08-12-04, 11:50
Hi Hermit. Welcom to the website, I hope u find all the help you need in here, I think I met you in the chatroom the other night? well call back again always nice to see new faces. take care Vernon

nomorepanic
08-12-04, 21:15
Hi and welcome to you

What a lovely post you made.

I hope that you can offer some advice to others on here and get some support if you need it too.

Look forward to getting to know you.

Nicola

jill
09-12-04, 09:48
Hi Hermit

Welcome to this site

You are right in what you say "we can all reach deep
down inside ourselves and find the courage to beat this"
This site and the special people on here have made me
what I am today, 95% better.

With alot of hard work support and time you to WILL see
less of Mr Panic, anxiaty.